General CBS

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I dunno about that, man. He gets RELLY big. I would agree that the size starts to go up exponentially, though, so maybe that data wouldn't be super useful to consider four-drops.
well, consider that Kalonian Hydra is essentially arbitrarily large - and he has trample. but he isn't really seen as cube-worthy, or at least, he's not considered interesting enough to warrant inclusion, as just a pile of stats.

four mana might be as high as we can go for just some numbers in the corner

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Kalonian Hydra is more than powerful enough. I would say the problem is that he is a removal check. Because it will get arbitrarily large and it has trample it will kill your opponent really, really fast, without much of an effort.

People have given me discussion on this consistently like 5 months apart

gorilla guerrillas 4gg
Creature - ape soldier
Flash, trample
7/7

Now it's scary, but I'm not sure it's wrong. It's not even paralyzingly.

Scrubbed out 2-2 at Prerelease, but I picked up a Brutal Hordechief, Promo Warden of the First Tree, and a copy of Yasova. Pretty sweet haul.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
3-0ed the prerelease (only three rounds! >:C) by opening bomb rares. I won 4 games off this:
+

On a more interesting note, this card really impressed me:

I think it's just right, can't wait to see what it does in my cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Elixir of Immortality is a total trap, except in the decks in which it isn't. For the average drafter, myself included, it's hard to determine which when you should play it though, which makes it a nice skilltester.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I had elixer in my cube for exactly one draft. It was just too oppressive on mill strategies and rewarded board stalling as a strategy. There is also no real reason to have it as a tool to avoid self-decking, which 1) shouldn't be an issue, 2) takes away a lot of the drama when a mill deck is paired with a self-mill deck.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
This is probably totally wrong, but I recently cut Forbidden Alchemy because of the decking issue. It gets cast fine the first time, but by the time the owner gathers enough mana to flashback, their library always looks dangerously thin (no doubt in part because that type of durdly Dimir deck tends to draw and loot away a lot of cards).

I suspect See the Unwritten might run into the same problem in cube. I want to test that effect, though, so I'm trying Summoning Trap instead (and, instant > ferocious!).

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
This is probably totally wrong, but I recently cut Forbidden Alchemy because of the decking issue. It gets cast fine the first time, but by the time the owner gathers enough mana to flashback, their library always looks dangerously thin (no doubt in part because that type of durdly Dimir deck tends to draw and loot away a lot of cards).

I suspect See the Unwritten might run into the same problem in cube. I want to test that effect, though, so I'm trying Summoning Trap instead (and, instant > ferocious!).

I like See the Unwritten because it mills. Way cooler!

edit: and you must have a load of card draw for Frobidden Achlemy to be a problem.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That's totally fair. In my own list, I try to keep the self-milling to the cheap value cards - your Satyr Wayfinders, Grisly Salvages, and Thirst for Knowledges - on the theory that in the early game, you can afford to stock your graveyard. In the late game, though, I don't want my players to doubt whether they can cast their giant bomb, because of the danger of decking themselves. I've seen a few players here come close to losing to an empty library, so it's just something I keep in mind when alternative options for cards exist.

edit for your edit: Between the blue looting, the green & black self-mill, and the regular blue card draw - including all those cheap cantrips - it's not unusual for blue control decks to run low on cards, especially if they fail to protect their 1-2 finishers. On the bright side, Shelldock Isle activates really quickly in those decks!

thats probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. I wish she were more excited about the chandra than the sliver but ya know she is only a tot!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
well we all knew the wizards people were good with dealing with children (only)

I think they're pretty good at dealing with non-children as well, it's just harder to please adults, and there's probably a broader psychographical (is that a word?) audience amongst adults, which is to say, most Magic-playing children are pleased by the same things, whereas adult Magic players are pleased by wildly different things.

CML

Contributor
I think they're pretty good at dealing with non-children as well, it's just harder to please adults, and there's probably a broader psychographical (is that a word?) audience amongst adults, which is to say, most Magic-playing children are pleased by the same things, whereas adult Magic players are pleased by wildly different things.

come visit seattle!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
come visit seattle!

You know I actually have friends living near Seattle. I'ld like to visit them sometime, but all my money is going towards replacing the window frames at the moment, might be a while before I saved up for a ticket :/

Also, I have no idea what you're implying (I have a hunch you're implying something though :))

Has anyone tried running 30+ fetches along with their 20 Fetchables? I'm at 25 fetches right now (20 + 5 single color), But I'm sort of considering going to 35.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hmm... I forgot my friends moved to Colorado. Man, distances are so huge in the States. The Netherlands are only 400 kilometers from north to south...

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Has anyone tried running 30+ fetches along with their 20 Fetchables? I'm at 25 fetches right now (20 + 5 single color), But I'm sort of considering going to 35.
I went as high as 28 once and that started to feel almost excessive. There are diminishing returns at a certain point.