General CBS

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Has anyone tried running 30+ fetches along with their 20 Fetchables? I'm at 25 fetches right now (20 + 5 single color), But I'm sort of considering going to 35.

I tried 3 fetch/2 fetchable, and it just doesn't feel as good, since a lot of the time you've got ones that only fetch one of your colors (Arid Mesa in GR for example) and once you've fetched out your one taiga it's a worse basic. Bad feels.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
25 fetches / 30 fetchables here. i think the ratio should slightly exceed 1:1

to me, this is one of the best reasons to run a slightly larger list, e.g. 450ish. at 360 i have trouble justifying going over 20 / 20. or should i just pad on another ten shocklands anyways, and go up to 20 / 30...?

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, especially since we often run six-mans around here rather than eight-mans, it's been really frustrating waiting three packs for, say, the Overgrown Tombs to show up, and finding out that one wasn't in the draft pool, and the other was nabbed early by a neighbour as a speculative pick. You've convinced me - I think I'll add another ten shocklands to my next singles order.

Yeah, especially since we often run six-mans around here rather than eight-mans, it's been really frustrating waiting three packs for, say, the Overgrown Tombs to show up, and finding out that one wasn't in the draft pool, and the other was nabbed early by a neighbour as a speculative pick. You've convinced me - I think I'll add another ten shocklands to my next singles order.

This is exactly my plan as well. I'll end up at 20 fetch, 20 shock, 10 dual.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I find it interesting that Andy hates protection but likes hexproof. To me they're both uninteractive mechanics. I don't find the question Sagu Mauler poses (do you have a 6/6 blocker that I can't remove) particularly interesting.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Hexproof is a lot more palatable on large fatties than on cheap, unblockable dorks, I find. Protection often doesn't even let you interact with your creatures, but at least hexproof on a non-evasive body still lets you gang block.

I like Shroud way more, but Hexproof on giant dudes is fine to me as long as they are not evasive. If they need to just beat the crap out of you like Sagu Mauler I'm fine with it. It's when Hexproof comes on a guy you can drop in the early-mid game that it becomes stupid and uninteractive. Some insurance on a big guy that doesn't immediately give you value ala Titans seems fair, especially big dumb beaters.

CML

Contributor
Jeskai Ascendancy is a major hit in this neck of the woods. So much play for only 1 slot

Hexproof gets a lot of grief but I really haven't minded its implementation in any way since Geist of St. Traft standard (though Modern bogles is kinda dumb, at least it's funny.)

Jeskai Ascendancy is a major hit in this neck of the woods. So much play for only 1 slot

Hexproof gets a lot of grief but I really haven't minded its implementation in any way since Geist of St. Traft standard (though Modern bogles is kinda dumb, at least it's funny.)
What boggles me is why it's not called frogs with pants. I haven't gotten a chance to play with mauler in a cube yet but it feels nice to be able to play a blue green fatty ramp deck with some insurance that you can land the 6-drop and have it stick around. . CML, what decks have ascendancy gotten play in? Anyone chained a bunch of cantrips to untap joraga tree speaker?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cards in my list with hexproof

Cards in my list with protection:

The problem with these mechanics is that they limit your options, and something like mirran crusader or paladin en-vec usually limits those options down to zero.
Hexproof on a perfectly blockable creature? Much less limiting.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I think Geist is a great design that becomes dumb with sufficiently powerful and plentiful pants. Aggro in a way that feels very blue-white without really having precedent in those colors.

CML

Contributor
What boggles me is why it's not called frogs with pants. I haven't gotten a chance to play with mauler in a cube yet but it feels nice to be able to play a blue green fatty ramp deck with some insurance that you can land the 6-drop and have it stick around. . CML, what decks have ascendancy gotten play in? Anyone chained a bunch of cantrips to untap joraga tree speaker?

you just have to have spells and guys. goes great with a themeless token theme. great fun with cards like reckless charge, faithless looting, the 4 brainstorms obviously, cards that make spirit tokens etc. it's a very seamless fit and with the Siege cycle having at least a few cards that fit well with my Cube's gestalt, it even fits into the themeless enchantment theme feat. academy rector, who does like having a few targets ...