General CBS

No, by making multicoloured spells abundant in the cube and add counterplay like this artifact. I abhor 3/1 for 2 with upside, but that is my flaw. Still, counterplay is the basis of magic.

....by putting multicolored spells in your opponent's deck?

Most decks run more than a few! And you can play around it by running fewer, which is more feasible in artifact-heavy decks. It's certainly the least of the 2-mana 3-power artifact dudes, but it's not entirely without merit, is my point.

Surge Engine is one of the most underrated cards from last year, fitting into all sorts of blue decks as a solid roleplayer. It may be the 20th card in a lot of decks, but creatures categorized in the blue section are generally one note or generically powerful, where Surge Engine works with different archetypes in neat ways while also having a solid enough baseline to be a stopgap measure for control decks or a midrange contributor.

A really dumb idea that I've not been able to make anything out of (mostly because my cubing brain hasn't worked properly in a while):

Both players start with (10, maybe?) life and the following:

Convalescent Care is an emblem. The Knight's just a dude that you can aim removal at.

The play dynamic that I'm interested in here is that the Convalescent Care punishes incidental damage pretty hard, meaning that you have to build up resources for a big push (with a pitstop at 6 life - I'm not sure if it's interesting or dumb that there are situations where dealing more damage slows down your clock...). The Knight is also interesting as a tool/roadblock - it eats small attackers and raises the threshold where damage actually serves as a clock.

“I don’t do anything, go”
“I also don’t do anything, your turn.”
“Again, I do nothing. I end my turn.”
“Thank you. I take my turn, draw, and pass, your go.”

Many of you will be familiar with the multitalented Caleb Gannon, PhD from his powered synergy cube which appeared on Magic Online. But did you know that he is launching a game on kickstarter that is heavily influenced by MtG and cubing? I am tempted, but am interested to hear views from others who may have seen this.

Many of you will be familiar with the multitalented Caleb Gannon, PhD from his powered synergy cube which appeared on Magic Online. But did you know that he is launching a game on kickstarter that is heavily influenced by MtG and cubing? I am tempted, but am interested to hear views from others who may have seen this.
Thank you. I just read it. It seems great, not rules complex, but very play complex with maybe a tad keyword soup. Maybe best to play it sober/not tired?
I am on the fence to kick it or not.

Looting into Reanimate into Archon of Atraxabrand isn't going to work in cube unless you're on some sort of powermax. Even then, this style of reanimator deck leads to a very "did you combo?" kind of game. The reanimator player either gets there and doesn't. The game can feel almost like a goldfish.

For a lower power level, let's replace some of the components:
Top tier reanimation: Oliphaunt into Reanimate gives a significant advantage worth drafting around without being entirely backbreaking.
Top tier threats: Zombify into Archon of Atraxabrand allows you to drop a devastating threat, but not before the game has had an opportunity to develop, giving the opponent a fighting chance.

Thoughts on this kind of concept? Which seems stronger? Which would you rather play with? Which would you rather play against?

Reactions: dbs
I find Reanimate in particular a very powerful, flexible, and efficient midrange card. There are lots of cute ways to use it, including stealing your opponent's guys. Reanimating your cyclers to get typically 4+/4+ power and toughness for 1 mana is very efficient. I'm strongly considering swapping all my reanimation spells out for multiple copies of Reanimate just because of how easily you can shift your deck between fair and combo strategies. But to be clear, Oliphaunt into Reanimate is still getting you a 2 mana 6/4, this is still way up toward the power ceiling.

Top tier threats: Zombify into Archon of Atraxabrand allows you to drop a devastating threat, but not before the game has had an opportunity to develop, giving the opponent a fighting chance.

This is what I do. I mean, I have a low power cube so it's not "Archon of Atraxabrand"-tier threats, but players can cheat out stuff that would have been good enough in 2013-era cubes at around turn 4, after the aggro decks have put out a lot of pressure. My only cheap reanimation is Unearth-tier.

Stuff like Angel of Glory's Rise (combo piece), Astral Dragon (same), Inkwell Leviathan, Hoarding Broodlord, Bogardan Hellkite, Craterhoof Behemoth (situational), Myr Battlesphere, Ancient Stone Idol, Metalwork Colossus.
Big dumb idiots, some of whom stabilize you, many of whom have other ways of getting into play, almost all of whom were in 2013 cubes. I can go through my list to look for the other stuff that's like, 7+ mana, but I'm pretty sure that's it for the big hits. No one really wants to Flashback Dread Return for an Eternal Dragon or Bedlam Reveller. Until recently I also ran Angel of Serenity, kinda regret the cut a little and am thinking of adding her back in, so add her to the list IG.

I do run a lot of pieces to get the big boys in the bin - lotta dredge, lotta discard-as-cost, Entomb and Gamble, etc. Plus my removal suite is catered to letting big battlecruisery plays be worth it - Wraths are more along the lines of Ritual of Soot rather than Damnation.

Sleeper hit is definitely Astral Dragon. It's pretty funny with Necromancy, as you can turn the 3/3's into ETB or Dies triggers of anything else you've pitched/milled - can even be the same creature twice. That gets even better with a clone in the bin (I run a lot of those for Fish, not likely to happen in just any cube) as you go infinite. You also go infinite with any o-ring that can hit the big dragon in play (So no to Glass Casket, but yes to Journey to Nowhere or Fiend Hunter). It's also a combo that can be interacted with, as there's no haste on the tokens.

i like your way of going about it quite a bit and i think it makes really good sense for cubes that want to go mid-power or just run fatties in general.

personally i would rather run reanimate and just police the quality of threats you can get with it - i think Titania (the good one) is still my best-case t2 cheat scenario.

I lean into the first approach, it makes the individual cards more approachable in other decks, instead of always looking to be used as an A+B combo. I'd never put a Zombify into my deck, but I could see myself adding Animate Dead to highroll someone off a discard spell or just to bring back a Sedgemoor Witch or whatever I hit with a removal spell in a normal game of magic. And if someone does hit something juicy, the game doesn't immediately end because of how strong the reanimation target is. Sure, The Balrog of Moria might have hit you for 7, but they're not miles ahead in resources, and the discrepancy in what you can reanimate doesn't feel as feast or famine for the one doing it either.

I find Reanimate in particular a very powerful, flexible, and efficient midrange card.
I had the same thought. One mana cyclers and Reanimate, etc, are much more playable in nontraditional reanimator.
Oliphaunt into Reanimate is still getting you a 2 mana 6/4, this is still way up toward the power ceiling.
For sure lol. "Lower power" mostly meant not turn 1-2 unbeatable bomb.
Those are still sweet on turn 4.
I lean into the first approach, it makes the individual cards more approachable in other decks, instead of always looking to be used as an A+B combo. I'd never put a Zombify into my deck, but I could see myself adding Animate Dead
This is my main reason to lean towards the lower mana value method. The cards are more generally playable. You'd only run Zombify to slam a Griselbrand. Conversely, you'd only play Griselbrand if you had a few Zombifys. You'll run Reanimate and Oliphaunt in quite a few decks.

Another way to get lower power targets is to run spells with powerful cast triggers like Shard of the Nightbringer and Desolation Twin. Unfortunately, Annihilator Eldrazi and Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger are still probably too powerful on those early turns. I like the idea of a big "regular" creature that can be blocked and has a reasonable amount of counterplay. The would be useful in a format where you anticipate that people might get a chance to hardcast the bombs.