General CBS

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I imagine it's similar to what I feel when people bring up 'custom' cards.

'Oh, you doubled up on Faithless Looting?'
'Yeah but it actually costs 2 and draws 3 cards instead'
'...'

It's interesting. I completely side with the anti-singleton argument from a theory standpoint, and yet my cube remains singleton. As far as I'm concerned, cube is a custom collection of cards. Period. The resistance of some people to playing multiples is hypocrisy at it's highest level, especially when those same people run functional reprints. The lack of critical thinking on that baffles me to no end.

With that said, there are two small objections I personally have with running multiples (functional reprints or otherwise). These have held me back from running multiples:
1. Variety. If I'm doubling up on cards, I'm reducing the number of unique effects in my cube. If we are talking just a handful of cards, it probably doesn't matter. But at some point, I'm making fewer viable decks, not more. And that is against what I want to do in cube.
2. Limited vs Constructed. The more we double up on cards, the more drafted decks will start to resemble constructed decks vs limited. There is nothing wrong with that actually. But I personally don't want that because I dislike constructed magic. I don't like the consistency and the polarizing effect it has (from an archtype A beats B beats C beats A standpoint). I like the fact that in cube you build a deck and no matter how consistent you try to make it, each game plays differently because the reality is you have 24 unique cards in your deck. You don't have 4 copies of 6 cards (where every draw plays more or less the same).

Again, I think exploring multiples of key cards that make certain decks work is a solid approach. I've held back due to the above, but the more I read here and look at different cubes, the more tempted I am to try running a few multiples (gravecrawler in particular).

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
With that said, there are two small objections I personally have with running multiples (functional reprints or otherwise). These have held me back from running multiples:
1. Variety. If I'm doubling up on cards, I'm reducing the number of unique effects in my cube. If we are talking just a handful of cards, it probably doesn't matter. But at some point, I'm making fewer viable decks, not more. And that is against what I want to do in cube.

I don't actually believe this has to be true. If you have more cards that support multiple specific archetypes, you can run more strategies. For example, I'd point to doubling on something like Kitchen Finks to make both Pod and Lifegain more viable, while still working in your everyday decks. Replacing Diregraf Ghoul with Gravecrawler enabled decks that do cool sacrifice effects while still allowing for the "beat for 2" option. You increase design space by running multiples of flexible enablers.

You decrease design space if you double up on something super narrow. I don't think there are hard and fast rules here.

I imagine it's similar to what I feel when people bring up 'custom' cards.

'Oh, you doubled up on Faithless Looting?'
'Yeah but it actually costs 2 and draws 3 cards instead'
'...'
despite using all the custom cards ever i think it is much more reasonable to dislike custom cards than it is to dislike not being singleton

I don't actually believe this has to be true. If you have more cards that support multiple specific archetypes, you can run more strategies. For example, I'd point to doubling on something like Kitchen Finks to make both Pod and Lifegain more viable, while still working in your everyday decks. Replacing Diregraf Ghoul with Gravecrawler enabled decks that do cool sacrifice effects while still allowing for the "beat for 2" option. You increase design space by running multiples of flexible enablers.

You decrease design space if you double up on something super narrow. I don't think there are hard and fast rules here.

That is certainly valid. Like most things, everything in moderation. And I'm of the opinion at this point that there is probably a happy medium for cube that is not singleton but also not running a plethora of mulitples. I don't know where that ideal middle point lies though. And it probably isn't the same for all groups. Speaking of which, sadly, my group has not played in some time so I can only speculate right now. I really have no way to do any testing to see what works and doesn't work for my meta.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
despite using all the custom cards ever i think it is much more reasonable to dislike custom cards than it is to dislike not being singleton

Custom cards are harder to get right. I've put a lot of work in to not be an absolute cretin about cards I design, and I still worry that people thing crap like this will show up in my cube:

ZagarazTheOverseer.jpg

Like I'm sure CML is somewhat known as a shit disturber for making posts and critiques like the screenshot we've seen.

i read that card 4 times before i caught the "untapped creature on the stack" aspect
i like how on top of that there's no artist credit

i read that card 4 times before i caught the "untapped creature on the stack" aspect
With your guy on the stack I would like to activate my Icy Manipulator targeting your guy still on the stack

CML

Contributor

the depressing thing is riplab could do pretty much anything and be considered by the Lee Dulles of the world to be the same one way or the other. this leads me to believe we should grandstand in the most absurd and indefensible way possible cuz f it

dom you must have some suggestion

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't think it can die ever VIA creatures. Pretty OP in that it kinda altrenates between moating them and killing their creatures/walkers.
I really don't know what to expect for 8 mana though :p
Like if we get Karn for 7, maybe this thing isn't OP

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Explain something to me. What is the appeal of having altered and custom cards with naked women on them, cartoons or real? Is it just something to masturbate to in your basement? I just don't see the appeal, but... (obviously a tad NSFW) https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/?mai...=&idMetacard=2923&sortBy=rating&resultsPage=7

I'll take this a step further: I don't understand the need to draw completely random stuff on magic cards. I mean, why do I need to look at random anime character #647 while playing a game? I've never been in the middle of a game of magic and thought, "Shit, I really need to see a picture of Naruto right fucking now, waiting till I get home to my computer to google one of the 6 million pictures they have on the internet isn't going to cut it."