CML's Cube (405, polychromatic)

CML

Contributor
OUT
Golgari Grave-TrollAetherlingGisela, Blade of GoldnightDesertionHallowed BurialDelver of SecretsSewer NemesisPhyrexian RevokerDrogskol ReaverRites of FlourishingTwilight ShepherdBlood ScrivenerNightveil SpecterVarolz, the Scar-StripedPyreheart WolfEvil TwinCongregation at DawnMangara of Corondor
IN
Elspeth, Knight-ErrantPlanar CleansingBlind ObedienceBaneslayer AngelGaea's CradleYosei, the Morning StarCraterhoof BehemothGarruk RelentlessProbePorphyry NodesPortentSquelchTemporal IsolationSlaughter PactDoom BladeIncreasing SavageryExploreDemonicTutor

basically you guys inspired me to fiddle with the removal count a little upwards and be a little less creature-heavy, so i made this update. the other tweaks involve cutting some blue cards because blue is just so good already and getting rid of the last remnants of black stuff that didn't work great.
i also did some utility land stuff, cutting halimar depths for academy ruins (with 4 tec edges i think it's safe enough) and ancient den for secluded steppe. then i tossed in the five APOC painlands for three of the shard lands because f it, control is fine manawise. to make room i got rid of poopy vesuva and its colorless friend miren, the moaning well.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Halimar Depths is awesome. We run both it and Academy Ruins, and they are consistently picked and well-liked. Can you not run both?

CML

Contributor
MEH depths. i could run 'em both but in the absence of a ton of shuffle effects it just doesn't seem like that great of a card. my playgroup always picks it and then always plays it and then always gets a little frustrated with it.

i guess there's not much reason to color-balance the utility lands, i could cut something like one of the 'legend matters' lands from one of the other colors. there's also little love for barbarian ring, since without loam it's kind of pointless. the latest posted utility list is (with a few exceptions) current, make a suggestion & i'll try it

p.s. gaea's got moved to the main cube just to be sure!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, I can imagine Depths being a little different with a fetch density of 15/405 as opposed to 20/360. Still surprising though.

CML

Contributor
i really just think "dude ranch" is an incredible name for that card

the last control deck that picked it didn't end up with enough plains, so that's a real constraint. it's easy for me to imagine it being good in good decks, but maybe that's just wishful thinking, i've thought that about a lot of cards that i've had to cut. that being said, it still is a good card, and kher keep is pretty popular...

CML

Contributor
i like the information. it's wildly entertaining to see the stupid shit people are attempting. the lands they so arbitrarily pluck are the joke, the deck is the explanation, the match loss is yet another joke on you.

then again, we pretty much signal by making comments that make 'i need some help in the diamond mines' during elementary-school bus-ride spades seem cryptic, and we read signals by looking over each other's shoulders. this is related to the constant drinking of beer and the not-seldom smoking of reefer. for some reason not every cube group does these things.

the more i think about it, the more i realize that i made the choice to front-load a little more for 'symmetry,' then i kept it for the better reason of hilarity. you guys are both right!

CML

Contributor
i think i wanna switch volrath's and ruins to the main cube, they're a little much. shizo and megaliths in or something

CML

Contributor
alright, cube was massively successful tonight. not only were the decks sweet, but we also drank a lot of beer.

winning deck (x-posted from 3-0 thread):
bu64xHL.jpg

possible design flaws:
-too many colorless lands (this may be a minor effect of moving volrath's and ruins to the main, and vice versa, though it's mainly tied in with the next one)
-too many lands in general. utility land draft interest dropped off sharply after pick 3 or so. cards like mosswort bridge are just terrible. i mean they're not but when people put them in their decks and have to shave basics then it fucks up the whole fetch and dual kind of thing. it's a perverse incentive
-on deck: spell snare, massacre wurm, mutagenic growth, life from the loam, chrome mox, avenger of zendikar, old favorites spitting image and raven's crime
-also on deck: cutting a bunch of utility lands, cutting some of the weaker fixers, and doubling up on let's say enemy-color shocks.
-challenge: how to make loam anything other than tedious and awful

CML

Contributor
updates (will type out on cubetutor later) --

add (21)
chrome mox
wild mongrel
spell snare
wild ricochet
massacre wurm
avenger of zendikar
mutagenic growth
life from the loam
raven’s crime
thundermaw hellkite
tromp the domains
turn // burn
tribal flames
vampire nighthawk
puppeteer clique
spitting image
steam vents
godless shrine
overgrown tomb
sacred foundry
breeding pool

cut (21)
creakwood liege
probe
porphyry nodes
honor of the pure
condescend
krenko, mob boss
wake thrasher
mulch
primal command
despise
furystoke giant
glacial fortress
drowned catacomb
dragonskull summit
rootbound crag
sunpetal grove
kessig wolf run
vault of the archangel
horizon canopy
fire // ice

brimstone volley

some big utility land upheaval involving m10 duals and the cut utility lands >> there in place of apoc painlands, only 3 funsies lands per drafter (out of a pool of 36) too

doublin' up on the RAV enemy-color shocks so as to encourage more wedgies.

15 has been a PERFECT amount of fetches for the cube, 25 is probably the right amount of fetchable duals too (10 abu / 15 rgd)

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
only 3 funsies lands per drafter (out of a pool of 36) too

I might copy you and do this too. Last time we did this, most people didn't end up playing their fourth land anyways. And fifty lands to stare at and choose from is a bit overwhelming for the new & lapsed players, so I could probably stand to cut the ones nobody ever takes, like poor ol' Mystifying Maze.

CML

Contributor
mystifying maze is pretty good, i may cut it but who knows there are a lot i wanna cut beforehand. the pool of 36 / 27 picked (or whatever depending on if people are lazy, which is often) seems good. here let me work it out.

ok, i typed this like six hours ago when i was drunk and i ahvent done anything since then

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I checked your CubeTutor link to compare notes on cheap red aggro creatures, and I noticed you run a pretty nice one in your two drop section.

GOBLIN PIKER.

Is that some kind of tech, or is that some kind of tech...?

CML

Contributor
UPDATED LIST
---

http://cubetutor.com/viewcube/114

out: some dead weight that people either played with too little or too much; white 4-drops
in: mangara, fiend hunter, nevermaker, talrand, lotus cobra, etc.

also revamped the utility land section (jason, check it) to look like this:

TOTAL (36, 4/drafter, 2x after p1 2x after p2)
---
ISD (5): Clifftop Retreat, Sulfur Falls, Hinterland Harbor, Woodland Cemetery, Isolated Chapel
M10 (5): Sunpetal Grove, Rootbound Crag, Drowned Catacomb, Azorius Signet, Rakdos Signet
W (3): Karakas, Sunpetal Grove, Windbrisk Heights
U (2): Cephalid Coliseum, Seat of the Synod
B (3): Bojuka Bog, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Phyrexian Tower
R (2): Ghitu Encampment, Forgotten Cave
G (3): Treetop Village, Dryad Arbor, Tranquil Thicket
Util (5): Kessig Wolf Run, Moorland Haunt, Gavony Township, Nephalia Drownyard, Vault of the Archangel
Misc (4): Mishra's Factory, Ancient Tomb, Horizon Canopy, Arcane Sanctum
Safe Word (4): Tectonic Edge, Tectonic Edge, Tectonic Edge, Tectonic Edge