General [CMR] Commander Legends Previews

Well crap, I was wondering why it seemed so pushed... Yeah, it probably only gets to live in Aristocrats, then.

bellborcaspectralsergeant.jpg

Am I wrong in thinking that this guy could be a pretty sweet build-around?

feastofsuccession.jpg

This is a sexy Noose for Control, but it is a bit expensive. I feel like this can win the game quite often when it's cast, but surviving to cast it is an issue.

It feels a bit like wildfire. You want something that survives that and then you'll probably win the game from there. While I don't like monarch for 1 vs. 1 in most cases, I think I'd be fine with it here.

Also, you gotta love Seb.

I love Monarch in 1 vs. 1 games if the Monarch-enabling card is expensive. But hard "No" to Court of Cunning

I think you're right, Train. This If you have a 5/5 when you cast Feast of Succession you will win the game.

So do we know who is the new monarch lore-wise? Brago --> Marchesa --> ? Or maybe this set is just loreless and purely functional?

I think it's loreless.

I really wish that the Courts weren't so unreasonably pushed for any kind of 1v1 format. Otherwise, they look like they could be fun control finishers - you drop this big enchantment, become the monarch, and then win 2-3 turns later if your opponent can't take the crown from you or destroy your court.

It's just a shame that the Blue and Green one can come down on turn 3. Maybe if you sharpied in a higher cost for those two, and maybe the Black one as well?

I think it's loreless.

I really wish that the Courts weren't so unreasonably pushed for any kind of 1v1 format. Otherwise, they look like they could be fun control finishers - you drop this big enchantment, become the monarch, and then win 2-3 turns later if your opponent can't take the crown from you or destroy your court.

It's just a shame that the Blue and Green one can come down on turn 3. Maybe if you sharpied in a higher cost for those two, and maybe the Black one as well?
I think the White court is actually fine for 1v1. It's not really scaled for commander in the way the rest of the courts are.

For my main cube, I don't see a single new card I'm really interested in adding. There's just not anything that fills a need or piques my interest in revisiting archetypes and/or previous ideas lacking enough support. Maybe I'll pick up a copy of Scroll Rack to flesh out my artifacts suite?

For the EDH Cube I've been designing, there's a ton of good stuff. As much as I dislike Monarch in 1v1, I think it's an incredibly good mechanic for multiplayer Magic. I'm definitely going to test/run the majority of that single color enchantment cycle. The continuation of the Battlebond lands is also greatly appreciate and a must pick-up (especially with how high the BB lands have gone since their printing), and what I'm most excited for is the addition of many more partner cards into the main cube. Giving drafters the ability to mix and match with partner CMDRs who are above rate in their CMDR packs along with those in the main cube, especially those that do NOT take up a multicolor slot, is huge for adding replayability.

Aside from that it's a matter of picking up a bunch of singles of reprinted staples and other cards that many decks will want in that cube.

Even though my cube is staisfied for the moment in that regard, I always keep anneye out for potential green madness cards, so this weirdo got my attention:

Fin-Clade-Fugitives-Commander-Legends-Spoiler-265x370.png

He is probably a good curve topper in encore mode for your aggro deck. I'd prefer a 4-mana encore cost however. Overall he just seems like a clearly worse Honored Hydra.

Opposition Agent looks fine to me, honestly, because there are fewer ways to force someone to tutor.

If you wheel with Hullbreacher out, not only do you get the whole Narset "I draw cards and you don't" thing, but you also get a bunch of treasures, effectively making the wheel free. Then you have stuff like...

Don't get me wrong - both of them slow down games. But I feel like Hullbreacher is much more likely to lead to one person top-decking while the other player gets to play normal Magic.

Granted, this also depends on cube composition. If Hullbreacher and Opposition Agent are mostly just being used to "steal" a card draw spell or a tutor, Opposition Agent is going to feel way worse, even if you just get a basic land out of the deal. If you're running a lot of incidental card draw, Hullbreacher is going to be way more of a kick to the teeth.

I also think that hating on villain's card draw should be a Red, Green, or White thing. Red or Green because they're Blue's enemy colors, and White because if you aren't going to give it proper card draw, at least let them stop villain from running away with card advantage? I actually would have loved Hullbreacher if it was RW instead of U.

Sure, Hullbreacher might have more applications and incidental hate, but Opposition Agent blows your opponent out. Without appearing condescending, I honestly don't understand how the card seems fine to you. The worst case scenario is the same as Hullbreacher in that you have a 3/2 with flash, except Agent is black, which I consider to be more powerful. The most common scenario will likely be playing it to deny a fetchland, so now you have a 3/2 with flash that with a Stifle Stone Rain attached that also gets you a land? And then it protects itself by blanking tutors that would be used to find an answer, while also shutting off your opponent from many effects. Hullbreacher might have more uses, but Opposition Agent is decent when you don't get to use the effect, and most of the time completely back-breaking when you do. And it doesn't even need to hit tutors to be good. Just incidentally blowing out Misty Rainforest, Edge of Autumn, Stoneforge Mystic, Birthing Pod etc..

TL;DR:
I think Opposition Agent might be more busted than people think, I agree that Hullbreacher will have an effect more often, but Opposition Agent is usually game-winning when cast.