Sets [CNS] Conspiracy Spoilers

This looks pretty interesting for cube. It's always on curve and interacts nicely with +1/+1 counters theme if you run that.
I actually didn't notice that he's a base 2/2 at first. That's pretty sweet. His ability IS extremely powerful, though. Not having color requirements is absurd, and it can make some real spontaneous nightmares out of nowhere. Casting him at {2}{R}{B} in an aggro deck pretty much nullifies the power line, and with plenty of haste bros in his colors he can take you from empty hand to 8+ power out of nowhere pretty easily.

And while I approve of the attempt at spicing up drafts, my LGS is FULL of very VERY slow players and drafters. Some of these effects would be a real nightmare to watch them puzzle out for themselves. Maro has also said (HERE) that there will be 'one draft-matters card per pack in place of basic lands.' Some players question if that includes conspiracies, but we haven't seen any that effect the draft itself, have we? This on top of the actual gameplay being multiplayer are keeping me away from drafting this set retail. My store may as well be named "EDH the Game Store" and there are many cliques and such; a relative loner like me wouldn't stand a chance. I also really hate having to take notes about your cards and then referring to your personal rules sheet in the middle of the game. To some it isn't a big deal but I find it pretty disruptive, even when someone is pretty quick/smooth about it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I love the idea of messing around with the mechanics of the retail draft format, but I really don't like multiplayer magic, so this set is of extremely limited use to me. That said, I think Marchesa is a totally amazing and the goblin may or may not be awesome.

It must be hard, trying to design something for the casual crowd, and lumping Cube and EDH together. Of course, people who mostly play cube can't be that high on Wizards list of people to cater to. Playing cube doesn't mean that you buy sealed products.

I like the combo potential of that thing. Scry is like in love with this card.

What I really want to do is pay 4, put Karmic Guide and some heinous fatty in my yard and let the bustedness commence.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
grenzodungeonwarden.jpg

secretsummoning.jpg

Secret Summoning

Article to go with spoiler is awesome: https://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/ld/300

Really great to see explicit acknowledgement that they kept the set size down so that you could more reliably get multiples of commons. I think it's sweet that they put under-powered cards in the set specifically so you would more reliably be able to snag multiples of a card in the draft, to make your hidden agendas better.

The more I see of this set - the draft constructs are interesting and certainly memorable, but the Conspiracy card type really opens a lot of doors for Cube Design (and going a step further, designing custom cards for cubes).

So in 1v1, if you just play this on 3 with no nonlands your opponent has to exile something they control? That's extremely gross.

If you don't support permission it can be a little miserable though, you always two-for-one yourself.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
In 1 vs 1 this reads: "Choose one non land permanent you don't control and exile it." Your opponent will always vote for the same permanent as you, bar Pox or Balance shenanigans. It's a very good removal spell, almost as good as Vindicate. It doesn't hit lands, but it exiles and it is monocolored.

The "will of the council" mechanic seems gimmicky as hell. Just say "choose and exile a permanent" instead of pretending there is more than one mode. I'm disappointed with these cards that use this mechanic because they one's I've seen don't have real choices. It's just a waste IMO of a cool idea. But both options need to be equal in order for the mechanic to have any meaning.

This is a strong card, but I won't play it because it's just over-engineered and retarded in it's execution. Thumbs way down.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The "will of the council" mechanic seems gimmicky as hell. Just say "choose and exile a permanent" instead of pretending there is more than one mode. I'm disappointed with these cards that use this mechanic because they one's I've seen don't have real choices. It's just a waste IMO of a cool idea. But both options need to be equal in order for the mechanic to have any meaning.

This is a strong card, but I won't play it because it's just over-engineered and retarded in it's execution. Thumbs way down.
I take it you don't play multiplayer often? You know, the format this set was designed for and where the templating of will of the council actually makes sense because there's more than two votes? :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Eh we've all been myopic before. I'm just happy That however wordy the damn thing is, we now have WW1 exile something. And that's awesome.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Deathreap ritual seems both awesome and unplayable. I mean, its like an Ephara that can't turn into a creature but might be easier to trigger?