General Custom Cards: The Lab

@Onderzeeboot I really like those two also. Hitting the nail on the head! They suit their colors and peak my interest.

Maybe Barricade should be during your turn and not your turn instead of attacking and not attacking?

Hi custom card creators

I used to use Magic Set Editor (and version 2) but the program is wildly outdated. So it is time to move on.

Is there an easy way to learn how to use Card Conjurer or the copy versions?

Would anyone like to earn some $ by teaching me over Discord call or something?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Onderzeeboot I really like those two also. Hitting the nail on the head! They suit their colors and peak my interest.

Maybe Barricade should be during your turn and not your turn instead of attacking and not attacking?
I did contemplate that, but the current wording pushes your 4 toughness creatures out of Wildfire range, and you best believe I'm a sucker for Wildfire synergies ;)

Does anyone have a design they're happy with, along these sort of lines?
({R}) Sorcery - Until end of turn, exile each permanent that leaves the battlefield. Its controller may play it this turn.
({R}) Instant - Exile each permanent that left the battlefield this turn. For each card exiled this way, its controller may play it until the end of their next turn.

i think @safra determined that the best settings are 100% view, 200% export, 200% internal?
So, more on this. We can use this modded 2.4.0 copy, essentially, to work with larger jpg's and png's inside the program - previous versions of MSE2 not at the link above are also able to do some of this stuff, but the github user above has significantly tweaked the program and you need to update to modded 2.4.0. (clean install in a new place, don't you dare try to combine your files. huge mess.)

With your set open, use the menu bar to open Edit -> Preferences. Go to the tab labeled Display. Make sure "High quality rendering" is checked and that "Export" is set to 200%⬇️ of normal size. I actually use 150% zoom, but whatever number keeps the entire card on screen in your editing pane is good. 125, 150, 175, but probably 200% zoom cuts off the artist credit in your editing pane and it's a real chore to undo, edit artist, redo. So: 150% zoom, 200% export.

Then, the Internal tab. Set Internal Scale to 200%⬇️% of normal size. This is cardframe agnostic, btw, so if you have an HD frame lying around somehow it will also get exported at 200% size, giving you an image that's way too big to work with.

If you've done it right, you basically upgrade MSE from exporting 375 by 523px cards with 320 by 235px images, to a 750x1046px card with a 640x460px image. That's almost four times as many (X 3.91) pixels for art, and I'm happy with the increased render size for higher-DPI printing. It's still not a counterfeiting tool and WotC's lawyers shouldn't perceive it to be one because there aren't accompanying HD card frames, there's no attempt to pass off your own cards as Hasbro's copyrighted product, it's just slightly higher image resolution for Cube curators.

I feel like I have so much better of a handle on MSE 2.4.0 than I do on card conjurer or the other web apps. I just want a folder on my hard drive with subfolders in it, damn it, and I want to be able to open the file I was working on three years ago and have it still load.

Yah cardconjurer is exhaustingly manual. I'm trying to figure out if an addon is making the card display wrong, when i remember once again that i need to select the green frame for the green card, and i need to not select any bonus doodads that also appear to be green.

Yah cardconjurer is exhaustingly manual. I'm trying to figure out if an addon is making the card display wrong, when i remember once again that i need to select the green frame for the green card, and i need to not select any bonus doodads that also appear to be green.
I'm confused. You don't like that you just have to double click the green frame?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I’ve been playtesting a bit recently, and I included another custom that played really well.

I was looking through Cube Cobra reanimation spells, and this scored fairly well. I thought it looked interesting, but just a bit off on rate for my environment, so I made it a {3}{B} that mills 4, and it plays like a dream!

Last edited:
Someone link me to an Imgur folder where I can see the quality of prints you can make using MSE (insert newest version) so I can compare the final results to Card Conjurer, thank you friends <3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Someone link me to an Imgur folder where I can see the quality of prints you can make using MSE (insert newest version) so I can compare the final results to Card Conjurer, thank you friends <3
The best comparison is probably to use safra’s link and make the same card in both Card Conjurer and MSE 2.4.0 and compare them?

Edit: I can appreciate safra’s sentiment that it’s nice to just have folders of cards ready and not to have to create everything from scratch every time you want to tweak a card. As is the case with Card Conjurer. Resolution isn’t the only consideration, is what I’m saying :)

So to me it looks like Card Conjurer is a bit better than MSE newest version when it comes to the finished product? Or am I missing something? I am going to choose one of them going forward.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So to me it looks like Card Conjurer is a bit better than MSE newest version when it comes to the finished product? Or am I missing something? I am going to choose one of them going forward.
The quality is better, but MSE is better for keeping track of your collection and updating cards, and is (I believe) more regularly updated with new frames. Basically you have to choose between a better resolution and a better custom designs managing tool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, now that it looks like Halana and Alena, Partners are a bit too much for my cube, I was thinking of customing up some Wildfire support in that slot. Green has a few heavy hitters at the absolute top end in my cube, and obviously you want to resolve those, so how about?

Adamant Spiketail.jpg

Hmm… does this need trample as well?

Last edited:
So, now that it looks like Halana and Alena, Partners are a bit too much for my cube, I was thinking of customing up some Wildfire support in that slot. Green has a few heavy hitters at the absolute top end in my cube, and obviously you want to resolve those, so how about?

View attachment 9694

Hmm… does this need trample as well?
I don't think it needs trample if it goes in the wildfire deck, they should have no blockers :D. I like the design though!