General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If you want to support storm, doesn't this just guarantee that the storm player is less likely to get their pay-offs? Or are you trying to give the Storm player a pivot option in case storm doesn't work out? If the latter, I wonder if you want the other half to be green, because that makes it quite a bit harder to pivot, since you'll likely have to abandon one of your storm supporting colors.

If you want to support storm, doesn't this just guarantee that the storm player is less likely to get their pay-offs? Or are you trying to give the Storm player a pivot option in case storm doesn't work out? If the latter, I wonder if you want the other half to be green, because that makes it quite a bit harder to pivot, since you'll likely have to abandon one of your storm supporting colors.

well. to be clear, this was mostly a (bad) joke, however,

in all seriousness, it's more that you can just run a extremely niche card like tendrils of agony without taking up a cube slot. or at least not taking up a full slot. imo the cards with "storm" written on them are some of the least important cards for a "storm" deck anyway, it's more about the resource generation. also there are cubes where green is a storm color

So the 2nd half of the card, Tendrils, is Tendrils of Agony but what is the first half?

There exist no card that creates a 4/4 Ape. Nor does there exist any delve card that creates tokens in green.

Are you thinking of Hunting Pack with storm or are you brainstorming new frontiers?

Ah so not a token.

This makes sense although I do not see the purpose of the card :) I would probably also name them Hooting Mandrills // Tendrils of Agony.

I don't think I've posted one of my longest surviving customs here.

Value Storm.png

That's how I support storm without running parasitic cards or forcing an all-or-nothing draft. Would probably be broken if I ran more rituals and free spells, but it has the right amount of support to be at the level I want.

These are great! Art is great; much less swingy than typical conspiracies and yet... maybe still too good? Essentially they ensure that your engine is assembled before the game even starts. Would be interesting to see some conspiracies with drawbacks stapled to them, e.g., "You may start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone. If you do, the next time you would draw a card, draw no cards instead." Or with symmetrical effects.

Verdant Soil is broken. But maybe not in your format?

Also the names sound nothing like Conspiracies. And I guess this is fine as long as you are aware of the fact. Then it becomes a choice instead of a mistake.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Verdant Soil is broken. But maybe not in your format?

Also the names sound nothing like Conspiracies. And I guess this is fine as long as you are aware of the fact. Then it becomes a choice instead of a mistake.

Broken? Maybe? It's really, really good with fetches, cycle lands, and discard outlets, but that was the point. Maybe it should have a mana payment attached to it?

Names and art, yeah, placeholder :) I appreciate your eye for flavor though, and I do agree these should be reflavored if I really want to try these.

Broken? Maybe? It's really, really good with fetches, cycle lands, and discard outlets, but that was the point. Maybe it should have a mana payment attached to it?

Names and art, yeah, placeholder :) I appreciate your eye for flavor though, and I do agree these should be reflavored if I really want to try these.

Yeah, broken. If this returns more than 1 land it will be a 2 for 0. Imagine having a Wasteland. However your format might not run those lands (I think I remember you don’t like having lands as win conditions like Kessig Wolf Run and thus do not run Wastelands).

In many situations it is a 3 generic mana Crucible of Worlds for free.

You could let it put lands on top of library. That would be very difficult to break without any Wasteland in the format.

Fires of Truth could be renamed: Confederal Tactics or Syndicate’s Strategy
Altar of Light could be renamed: Beastmaster’s offering
(You get the idea. Just put a little more dark, crazy, loomy, tinfoil and suppressive government words onto the cards.)

These are great! Art is great; much less swingy than typical conspiracies and yet... maybe still too good? Essentially they ensure that your engine is assembled before the game even starts. Would be interesting to see some conspiracies with drawbacks stapled to them, e.g., "You may start the game with this conspiracy face up in the command zone. If you do, the next time you would draw a card, draw no cards instead." Or with symmetrical effects.

Damn Rowan now I have to try and design a Conspiracy with both an upside and a downside with your template :p

I was also about to suggest 'basic land card' ! Great minds.........

more custom conspiracies:

at the start of the game, after taking mulligans, each player gets a lotus petal
at the start of the game, after taking mulligans, each player loots 1
conspiracy scroll -- {2}{W} Instant: Tap target creature
conspiracy scroll is a very dangerous area actually maybe this isn't smart. other scrolls: 1U for Leap, 2R for create a 1/1 goblin with haste, 2B sorcery target player discards a card, 1G sorcery to tutor a land from deck to hand

conspiracies all too good. Pointing out that Cube is high playables really drives it home, imo.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
From the same cycle as Djinn // Juice and Blackjack // Hookers:

Justice 4W
Instant
Exile target creature
//
Just ice 1U
Sorcery
Tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its controller's next untap phase.
Draw a card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Varnish W
Instant
Change the target of target spell or ability that targets an artifact you control.
//
Far Niche 2W
Instant
Exile target creature. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step. If you do, draw a card.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ember Spray 1R
Sorcery
Ember Spray deals 1 damage to each opponent and each creature and planeswalker they control.
//
Amber's Prey 1U
Instant
Tap target artifact, creature, or land. That permanent doesn’t untap during its controller’s next untap step.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There was a recent discussion in the CBS thread about white card filtering options. I feel it's worth exploring the alledgedly limited design space white has in this regard. For one, I suggested moving Index-effects to white, as they feel underwhelming in blue with all the card draw in that color, but could really help white smooth out its draws a bit. In addition there's a history of small "tutor" effects that we can make use of.

Friends and Fields.jpg Skyknight Scout.jpg Blessing the Troops.jpg Faithwielder.jpg
Art source Friends and Fields: here
Art source Skyknight Scout: here
Art source Blessing the Troops: here
Art source Faithwielder: here

So, Friends and Fields is basically a limited Adventurous Impulse, but it still feels like it should hit enough cards in white. I also think it would actually hit a decent amount of cards in a typical non-control white cube deck, so I could definitely see this being useful in the color. The name is also really silly, but whatever, that can be improved upon later :p

Skyknight Scout is the index flyer I proposed earlier in the CBS thread, but reimagined as a human, because that creature type is more relevant in most Riptide cubes.

Blessing the Troops is kind of a modal Glorious Charge // Raise the Alarm split card that also indexes. I think neither of those two cards are quite good enough to make the cut (though Raise is close), but they look good together. The deck sculpting once again helps white plan ahead a bit better. You could easily put other abilities on especially the front side, but I like the way both abilities synergize, meaning a deck interested in this card is probably interested in both effects. For synergy purposes, I chose for the card to make Human Soldier creature tokens (some cards in Shadows over Innistrad did too). Go Champion of the Parish!

Faithwielder lets you find and cheat on the mana cost of a very specific (and very white) subset of cards. This card digs deep enough to have a shot at finding something, but it does need sufficient support in a cube. I imagine it could be pretty filthy in constructed with high end stuff like Overwhelming Splendor but whatever. It ain't bad to make aura's more playable, is it? It's not good in my cube, with the limited amount of possible targets I run, but I feel it's good example of design space WotC could explore. It's definitely more narrow than the first three options though, and doesn't really help with developing in the early turns.

You have to mention the word “attach(ed)” on cards to put Auras directly onto the battlefield.

I am not sure how I feel about breaking the color pie but if it works for you then great!!

I like Skyknight Scout. It could see play in any cube. I dislike Friends and Fields. It wouldn’t see play in any cube as worded right now.