General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
wow Velrun Thanks! Damn you did all the work for me
That's amazing

Okay as tribute I post this:
View attachment 3980
(I wanted it to be called hush but it's taken and this is the kind of card that deserves a single word evocative name I think)
I'm not even sure I'm using it I just love the design
Print it WotC! :)

Please post Velrun's card as well when you found art for it, such an excellent idea!

edit: I know you already quoted me, but I meant "when you found a name for it" :D

Last edited:
I've always loved Cryptic Command. And I feel like Green doesn't have many interesting instants. So I came up with this as a glue card that's more powerful and interesting (IMO) than Primal Command. Also I love maindeckable artifact/enchantment hate cards.
Verdant Command.png
Not sure on the power level though. It feels stronger than other 4 drops like Briarhorn but I'm hoping 1GGG balances it out. Maybe it needs to be a 2/2 token instead of a 3/3.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've always loved Cryptic Command. And I feel like Green doesn't have many interesting instants. So I came up with this as a glue card that's more powerful and interesting (IMO) than Primal Command. Also I love maindeckable artifact/enchantment hate cards.
View attachment 4042
Not sure on the power level though. It feels stronger than other 4 drops like Briarhorn but I'm hoping 1GGG balances it out. Maybe it needs to be a 2/2 token instead of a 3/3.
This looks powerful, but not overwhelmingly so. I would think this is slightly worse that Cryptic Command still, but pretty close. It's a shame you can't buff the token with that third ability. You could change it to "put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control".

I also think changing that line to a non-targeted ability would work ("up to one creature you control gets +3/+3..") and would make the ability slightly stronger too.

That would be weird. I can’t think of any recent card with that wording.

I think the +3/+3 effect could be exchanged for a fight effect. “Tap a creature you control. It fights target creature.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That would be weird. I can’t think of any recent card with that wording.

I think the +3/+3 effect could be exchanged for a fight effect. “Tap a creature you control. It fights target creature.”
Why tap that creature? It's an instant effect, so I don't think that achieves much. Also, we already have...

Including the fight effect would make this really similar. Plus, that still has the problem of the token not being to able to benefit from one of the modes. You could change the wording to "Up to one creature you control fights target creature an opponent controls."

Why tap that creature? It's an instant effect, so I don't think that achieves much. Also, we already have...

Including the fight effect would make this really similar. Plus, that still has the problem of the token not being to able to benefit from one of the modes. You could change the wording to "Up to one creature you control fights target creature an opponent controls."

That wording is also not in Magic. I mean it’s a custom card so we can write any wording we want. But if we want to keep the card simple, elegant and within the perimeters of what Magic normally does, then we can’t go with “Up to one creature you control”

Am I wrong?
I can’t remember a single newish card with that wording.

The tap was to bypass that problem. That is not unheard of in modern Magic.

Of course we could just make it a target effect but then we are not pass the problem of being able to utilize the creature token that was just created for the effect like we were trying to.

Option A: Keep the card the way it is. The +3/+3 cannot affect the newly created token.

Option B: Make it a fight effect usin target. The fight cannot affect the newly created token.

Option C: Make it a “Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control.” The ability will affect the token. This ability has not been used very much in green (but has been used a lot in white) but it is not unheard of. The latest card was Song of Freyalise. The double effect we have seen on Strength of the Pack very recently.

They've definitely used non-targeted abilities in the recent past. mission briefing is the first that comes to mind. You could borrow that exact wording: "choose a creature you control. It gets +3/+3 until end of turn".

If you want the fight ability but want to make the card slightly stronger, I would recommend the "this creature deals damage equal to it's power to target creature an opponent controls" wording.

Sigh

I don’t believe that is what I wrote. Can you please find a card that has that wording?

“Up to one creature you control get X”

I am 99 % sure there aren’t any but I have been wrong before.

You don't need to be pedantic. Maybe that exact wording hasn't been done before, I don't know. But they have done abilities without targeting, so there is precedent.

This card is precedent for using "Choose a creature. [add your ability here]":

Brudiclad is more precedent for "choose a creature". That would seem like the "proper" wording to make the ability non-targeted.

More

Last edited:
Alright you win :) It is rare but it exists. And maybe Verdant Command is exactly a good reason to include a rare wording.

It could also be the ‘Bite’ ability:
“You may have a creature you control deal damage equal to its power to taget creature you don’t control.”

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I am reminded that none of my 2cmc burn outside magma jet hits players.
I gotta fix that

I have a bad idea:
Burninate.png
I feel like I missed a mode or two, but basically if there's like 5 lightning strike adjacent cards that can't hit players with situational upside, maybe I give the choice to the player
And yes to be balanced this probably shouldn't cost r1

Last edited:

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay for a less over the top version:
Burninate.png
Wither might be too much but re-wording the whole spell to be 2 damage plus a -1/-1 counter I'm not sure even works