General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What would be some fair costs for this card?

Grand Remembrance - ???
Sorcery
Return all cards exiled by cards named Grand Remembrance to their owner's hands.
Forecast — ???, reveal Grand Remembrance from your hand: Exile target artifact, enchantment, or card in a graveyard.

My gut says "3GG for the spell itself, 2W for the Forecast", but it's been a while since I designed a card.
So the forecast is a sorcery speed, but uncounterable Return to Nature with buyback {0}? That seems really oppressive to artifact and enchantment decks, if you support those.

This spell has an interesting push-pull to it since you often don't want to use it as both a regrowth and a Return to Nature unless the game goes long and you can grind out value. Here's a couple cards that are comparable to help narrow down a cost:

So the forecast is a sorcery speed, but uncounterable Return to Nature with buyback {0}? That seems really oppressive to artifact and enchantment decks, if you support those.
Agree with Onderzeeboot, so depending on your environment, looking at 4-5 mana for the forecast ability. Since the forecast is so expensive, you can probably make the casting cost just {G} to use the regrowth effect; if we go with 5 to forecast, it would come to 6 mana for 1 card, 11 mana for 2, etc. though over the course of multiple turns.

To bring it all back around, my suggestion with the design as proposed would be:

Grand Remembrance - {G}
Sorcery
Return all cards exiled by cards named Grand Remembrance to their owner's hands.
Forecast — {4}{W}, reveal Grand Remembrance from your hand: Exile target artifact, enchantment, or card in a graveyard.

I'm slapping my forehead here ― of course the forecast should be the expensive half.

Thanks, guys. I think when I finally actually use this design, I'm going to go with kModz's numbers to start with.

Does your set symbol creator automatically have the green background? Mine doesn't ever have it, so I can only make a set symbol if it's got a square around it.

I've tried a ton of things in the files and uploading a symbol vs drawing one, etc.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So kinda, but not quite.

You can get transform frames with the circle in the top left, but they don't seem to have the lesson symbol to put in there?

1635103814322.png

will-smith-thats-hot.gif

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

but they make piles and I choose to kill. What's a fair cost there?

We can see that changing from <they divide, you choose> to <you divide, they choose> adds a color and shifts up the rarity, but keeps the mana value equal. If we reverse engineer, we can see that changing Do or Die to <they divide, you choose> means we can lose a color and downshift in rarity, so this hypothetical card clearly should cost {2} and be an uncommon!

Uh I love that logic

We can see that changing from <Enters the battlefield tapped> to <> subtracts two mana value and shifts down the rarity. If we reverse engineer, we can see that we should get a Masterpiece Mythic rare mana rock that costs {0} that enters the battlefield untapped, taps for {R} and with the additional card text “When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, add {R}.

Spicy! @blacksmithy will love this

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Here we can clearly see that it's safe to lower the mana cost by {2} if we make a creature legendary.

Graxmust, Porcelain Captain {W/P}
Legendary Creature - Phyrexian Soldier (R)
First strike
3/1

Perfectly balanced! Let's goooooo!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that's how far I got as well. I sent an email, hopefully I'll get a reply :)
On a more serious note, I sent this:

"First of all, thanks for the website! I've always created customs for my cube with Magic Set Editor, but your site produces notably sharper text! :)

There were two things I couldn't recreate in Card Conjurer. The first is two-color aftermath cards, in my case with a white top half, and a red aftermath spell on the bottom half of the card. I was able to solve this by creating two aftermath cards in Card Conjurer (a white one and a red one) and splicing the two halves together in Paint.net.

The other thing is more difficult to recreate, and it's custom Lessons, like those that appeared in Strixhaven. I can get pretty far by using the left half of a transform frame, but the problem is the Lesson icon in the top left corner. I think it should be possible to add this icon to the Transform Icons set? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a high resolution version of the icon, and it's a lot harder to correctly splice together than my two color aftermath card. Do you have an idea how to handle this?"

And this morning I already got back a reply!

"Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely add features to solve both those problems. I’ll add a mask to make multicolored aftermath cards, and I’ll add the lesson icon to the group of transform icons. It may be a few days before I can make these changes, but it should be soon!"

Nice!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On a more serious note, I sent this:

"First of all, thanks for the website! I've always created customs for my cube with Magic Set Editor, but your site produces notably sharper text! :)

There were two things I couldn't recreate in Card Conjurer. The first is two-color aftermath cards, in my case with a white top half, and a red aftermath spell on the bottom half of the card. I was able to solve this by creating two aftermath cards in Card Conjurer (a white one and a red one) and splicing the two halves together in Paint.net.

The other thing is more difficult to recreate, and it's custom Lessons, like those that appeared in Strixhaven. I can get pretty far by using the left half of a transform frame, but the problem is the Lesson icon in the top left corner. I think it should be possible to add this icon to the Transform Icons set? Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a high resolution version of the icon, and it's a lot harder to correctly splice together than my two color aftermath card. Do you have an idea how to handle this?"

And this morning I already got back a reply!

"Thanks for the feedback! I can definitely add features to solve both those problems. I’ll add a mask to make multicolored aftermath cards, and I’ll add the lesson icon to the group of transform icons. It may be a few days before I can make these changes, but it should be soon!"

Nice!
Sweet lord, they already put up both changes! :D I have no idea where they got the high res Lesson icon from that quick, I couldn't find it online, but I'm pumped :) I'm super busy with D&D stuff this week, but...

I want that too!

And perfect naming!
Onde can you please write a flavor text that is as on point as the name and art?
I'm definitely spending time on thinking of some cool Lessons next week :D