General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What do these find?

Weird things for the sake of a splendid word pun ;)

Burning Vision 1R
Instant
Shock, exile top card, play this turn.

I had a {R} sorcery variant of this card in my cube, and that card was great without being overpowered. Can recommend! It helps that it's a little bit easier on the mana so you have a better chance to hit something you can cast, and personally I'm a fan of sprinkling some sorcery speed burn. I'm still waiting for Lightning Strikes with a small bonus at sorcery speed Wizards!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It's cool, but does the eldrazi deck need proliferate? Maybe it's a little more in reach in your cube, but a counters deck isn't going to splash for this, are they?

Also, do you want them to? If you're looking for archetype overlap, I'm not sure this is the card you want. If you're not, drop it a mana and take off proliferate :p Not like it can kill lands anyways

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's cool, but does the eldrazi deck need proliferate? Maybe it's a little more in reach in your cube, but a counters deck isn't going to splash for this, are they?

Also, do you want them to? If you're looking for archetype overlap, I'm not sure this is the card you want. If you're not, drop it a mana and take off proliferate :p Not like it can kill lands anyways

What? It should exile because eldrazi do stuff with exile? But that's a bit too good at instant speed?

Fade to Gray.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No no, I insist, card looks like a perfect Vindicate spin off this way! I won't change a thing and thanks, honestly, for the feedback. I don't know what I was thinking with proliferate...

Now I still have a {3}{c} slot left though, because Hollow Drifter has been kinda meh in testing. Inevitable Adversary, on the other hand, is awesome! It finds its way back on the battlefield less than I expected, and as a French vanilla 3/4 for three it does a good job. Etb tabbed proved to be a good balancing mechanic for the slightly over the curve stats so far.

Anyway, {3}{c} slot, and I think it's okay if it's a spell, maybe even better than being a creature.

No no, I insist, card looks like a perfect Vindicate spin off this way! I won't change a thing and thanks, honestly, for the feedback. I don't know what I was thinking with proliferate...

Now I still have a {3}{c} slot left though, because Hollow Drifter has been kinda meh in testing. Inevitable Adversary, on the other hand, is awesome! It finds its way back on the battlefield less than I expected, and as a French vanilla 3/4 for three it does a good job. Etb tabbed proved to be a good balancing mechanic for the slightly over the curve stats so far.

Anyway, {3}{c} slot, and I think it's okay if it's a spell, maybe even better than being a creature.

Resignation Regent
3{c}
Creature - Eldrazi

When you cast ~, target creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn.
When ~ dies, target creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 1/1 until end of turn.
What's a man to a king? A king to a god?
3/3

Eldrazi Chronarch
3{c}
Creature - Eldrazi

Flash
When you cast ~, counter target activated or triggered ability. If a creature's ability is countered in this way, exile that creature.
2/5

Eldrazi Pandemic
2{c}{c}
Sorcery

Each opponent sacrifices a colored creature, artifact, and enchantment, then exiles a card from their hand for each category they were unable to sacrifice. (templating nightmare sorry)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Those seem sweet! holy crap 2CC, that's a hell of a mana cost.

Each opponent sacrifices a colored creature, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand
Each opponent sacrifices a colored artifact, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand
Each opponent sacrifices a colored enchantment, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand

Also: is it really fair to actually expect someone to just have a colored artifact lying around? There's like what, 10 in all of magic?

Those seem sweet! holy crap 2CC, that's a hell of a mana cost.

Each opponent sacrifices a colored creature, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand
Each opponent sacrifices a colored artifact, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand
Each opponent sacrifices a colored enchantment, If they cannot, they exile a card from their hand

Also: is it really fair to actually expect someone to just have a colored artifact lying around? There's like what, 10 in all of magic?

birthing pod.

{3}{c} for that felt a little too splashable, I wanted it to be in a dedicated eldrazi deck. Reading 'exile two permanents and a card' is a little less impressive/alien.

I love that effect! With a bit more of an aggressive take, you could give that some real flavor as a sorcery.

Something like...

"Utter Obliteration"
4{c}{c}

Choose artifact, creature, enchantment or planeswalker. Each player sacrifices all permanents they control of the chosen type, then exiles a card from their hand for each permanent they sacrificed this way.

Great with that Eldrazi that you can cast from exile :p

If we're agreeing that {c}{c} is hard to get, and I agree that it is (albeit slightly less harder with the dedicated support CT has), there's a few riffs on the idea that might be good.

{4}{c}{c}
Exile all coloured enchantments and artifacts. For each creature target player controls, all players exile one card from their hand.

Merciless Colonization
4{c}{c}
Choose three. You can choose the same mode more than once.
  • Exile target coloured creature.
  • Exile target coloured enchantment.
  • Exile target coloured artifact.
  • Target player exiles a card from their hand at random.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Eldrazi Pandemic
2{c}{c}
Sorcery

Each opponent sacrifices a colored creature, artifact, and enchantment, then exiles a card from their hand for each category they were unable to sacrifice. (templating nightmare sorry)

Riffing off your ideas, do any of these two seem like a cool card?

Arbitrary End.jpg Arbitrary End.jpg

First one seems cool. Really strong if colorless mana is easy enough to get.

The second one is a very bad card as written.

Modes are chosen when casting the spell, so your opponent can always choose to exile all your permanents. I'd write it as a separation into piles, though you could also say "exile those permanents or all other permanents."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
First one seems cool. Really strong if colorless mana is easy enough to get.

The second one is a very bad card as written.

Modes are chosen when casting the spell, so your opponent can always choose to exile all your permanents. I'd write it as a separation into piles, though you could also say "exile those permanents or all other permanents."
Wow. I've gotten pretty good at templating, but that doesn't help you much if you don't know the rules :) I'll go with Do or Die's templating then. It's very hard for me to judge whether the intended functionality is overpowered or jank, by the way. What if your opponent splits his stuff into two nice piles, then adds your lands to one pile and the rest of your permanents to the other pile?

The intended functionality is probably still pretty awful, since your opponent has so much control over it. I could only see it being useful in a spell-heavy deck with very few nonland permanents. If anything, I would reverse it so caster divides and opponent chooses.