General Custom Cards: The Lab

Ugh... Fugly!

WotC abandoned the symbol because of the new card frame in Mirrodin, by the way :)
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/12377851622/what-prompted-the-use-of-the-tombstone-symbol-on

-Pushes up glasses being held together by tape with finger-
Uhm, Ahctually...
f802ee1b-14d4-4ef3-84be-d9d959ec42d3.jpg
d502a87d-8b48-4173-8397-b4687b8a2b57.jpg

5feef053-6788-4124-8ec5-b3aca7139177.jpg

To be fair, I totally get why they dropped the Tombstone symbol on flashback cards printed after the mechanic returned in Time Spiral, it doesn't look that good in the 8th Edition Frame.

However, to be balanced, the Tombstone symbol was gosh darn amazing with the old border.

Well the actual actual actual reason why they cut the tombstone was the rules changes regarding graveyards.

Old rules: Cards had to stay in the graveyard in the order they entered the graveyard.
New rules: Only in formats where graveyard order matters cards are legal should cards stay in the graveyard in the order they entered the graveyard.

I am not quite sure the changes happened around Mirrodin. I believe they happened a little later. This might explain why there are tombstone symbols on Modern card frame cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
-Pushes up glasses being held together by tape with finger-
Uhm, Ahctually...

(Various images)

To be fair, I totally get why they dropped the Tombstone symbol on flashback cards printed after the mechanic returned in Time Spiral, it doesn't look that good in the 8th Edition Frame.

However, to be balanced, the Tombstone symbol was gosh darn amazing with the old border.
In the old card frame, the symbol was much closer to the edge of the card, which made it more practical in use.

Meaning you like the effect, but not the Hearthstone-y flavor of the card, or meaning you don't like it for MtG because you can't directly attack creatures, unlike in Hearthstone?

Sorry. I didn't explain myself. I will now.

I like the effect. I also like that it can be another version of the custom cards we (you) designed. For anyone curious, here are some of them:

Erase.jpgReevaluate.jpg

This means they go perfectly into the Grixis Madness/Discard deck with cards like:

and friends

However in Magic: the Gathering, creatures cannot attack each other like they can in Hearthstone and often people don't have any forced blocks (Provoke, etc. An example: Deftblade Elite). This leaves the opponent with spot removals and sweepers as the only way to get rid of your new design, Skree, Immortal Bomber. It feels like a recurring Lava Spike more than a creature that can be interacted with. Cards like Doomsayer in Hearthstone feels like solid designs because they have the same built-in mechanic as your Skree but the villain has several ways to interact with the creature on the battlefield.

I hope that made sense <3

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
However in Magic: the Gathering, creatures cannot attack each other like they can in Hearthstone and often people don't have any forced blocks (Provoke, etc. An example: Deftblade Elite). This leaves the opponent with spot removals and sweepers as the only way to get rid of your new design, Skree, Immortal Bomber. It feels like a recurring Lava Spike more than a creature that can be interacted with. Cards like Doomsayer in Hearthstone feels like solid designs because they have the same built-in mechanic as your Skree but the villain has several ways to interact with the creature on the battlefield.

I hope that made sense <3

Oh yeah, it totally does. I was aiming for a recurring Lava Spike though, even if I'm not sure that 3 is the right number, 2 might be enough. The tension here is that you have to choose whether Skree is on chump block duty, sacrifice fodder, discard fodder, or said recurring Lava Spike. Depending on your other cards and the board, that last option might not be the best, but it's a sweet little clock to put some pressure on your opponent.

I mean I get that. But it is just a slippery slope because it is unlikely to really be countered or removed by the villain. All they can do is delay. It will return to the hand each turn as a constant blocker unless exiled somehow.

I do not think this card will be fun to play against. I wish Magic was like Hearthstone in this situation because then it would be a very sweet design in my book. (I often put provoke on cards because I like the keyword.)

Yeah that part is except this one will be sacrificed if it doesn’t block leaving the owner with only 2 options and leaving villain with 0 options. It is almost as uninteractive as a creature can get :p It can’t even be blocked because it can never attack under normal circumstances.

My hope is they will return Provoke in Ikoria.

I want to make an updated version of this card for my cube, because I think this is a cool design. This isn't my original idea, I stole it from MTGCardsmith (click the card to see the original).

If I'm reading this correctly, it gets suspended even if it would die in combat, correct? If not, how would I word it so that it is infinitely recursive in that manner?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
"when CARDNAME is dealt damage, if CARDNAME is on the battlefield..."

Now it is a different object once it dies so you're good anyways, but if you want to make it super clear

You probably want: "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever damage is prevented this way, exile ~ with two time counters on it."
Could also do: "If ~ would be dealt damage, instead exile it with two time counters on it." But that is kind of confusing, especially if it's taking damage from multiple creatures at once.

You probably want: "Prevent all damage that would be dealt to ~. Whenever damage is prevented this way, exile ~ with two time counters on it."
Could also do: "If ~ would be dealt damage, instead exile it with two time counters on it." But that is kind of confusing, especially if it's taking damage from multiple creatures at once.

When CARDNAME dies, if it was dealt combat damage this turn, exile it with 2 time counters on it.

I think I'm going to go with:
"If combat damage would be dealt to ~, prevent that damage and exile it with 2 time counters on it."

This wording is similar to Vigor and Oathsworn Knight.

Maybe you can use wording from this 1995 artifact

“When that creature leaves the battlefield this turn, sacrifice Runesword. If the creature deals damage to a creature this turn, the creature dealt damage can't be regenerated this turn. If a creature dealt damage by the targeted creature would die this turn, exile that creature instead.”

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I like the hybrid, but note that the cheapest cards that currently can make you the monarch have a cmc of 4! Why not make it a 5/2 trample, haste, can't block for {2}{B/R}{B/R}?