General Custom Cards: The Lab

I don't really want to use the original because the "card you own in opponent's hand" thing is cute, but too far outside the rules and will probably cause problems. I do like your version better, might tinker with it a bit more.

X really sucks to play against, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can activate it on draw step to lock your opponent out of the game apart from instant speed stuff, and it's very hard to get rid of.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
X really sucks to play against, so I'm not sure it's worth the effort. You can activate it on draw step to lock your opponent out of the game apart from instant speed stuff, and it's very hard to get rid of.

If you're going to custom it up, you could make it a Sen Triplets effect, where you can only cast the cards during your own turn.

In general though, Telepathy isn't a fun card to play against, because having perfect information completely eliminates the bluffing aspect of Magic.

If you're going to custom it up, you could make it a Sen Triplets effect, where you can only cast the cards during your own turn.

In general though, Telepathy isn't a fun card to play against, because having perfect information completely eliminates the bluffing aspect of Magic.

You're right, but if I play this, I want to start with as close to a functionally equivalent as possible and then iterate on feedback. My cube does include a lot of ways to dump X and it can be raced, so hopefully the hard lock will come up with acceptable frequency.

Not that I am any kind of authority but here goes:

Telepathy is a hard no. Complete information sucks.
Peek is a yes from me. It is very important that players sometimes have the opportunity to gain such an information value because otherwise it is impossible to avoid situations like this:

https://riptidelab.com/forum/thread...esting-includes-thread.3087/page-2#post-88869

Looking at the top card of villain’s library is also cool.

So in other words: Brief/temporary information at a cost is fine. Permanent information is not unless it is something super difficult to obtain like a planeswalker emblem.

Figured this might be a fun exercise:

What wonderful recipes can you come up with for splicer creatures in Red/Blue/Black at the low power/Penny Pincher power level (on the backs of say, Wing Splicer and Master Splicer)?

I had this fun top-down design of a {B} "Splicer Golem" that can sacrifice Humans into Golems, or similarly a {U} "Splicer Golem" that augments Humans you control with the Artifact Golem creature type to broaden the tribal buffs you already have. This is currently a custom design space I've considered for the Esper shard in my cube, since I have a lot of tribal synergies going on there. Really curious is some of you have thought up some ideas before or have some neat directions off the top of your head!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Simply playing around with keywords can be a lot of fun, like menace, or lifelink (for a {1}{W}{B}). You could do a base black splicer that summons a golem on dying rather than entering the battlefield (flavor text: "I'll finish this masterpiece if it's the last thing I do!"). 1/1 for {2}{B}, or {U}{B} if you want to push it. Maybe a splicer that has a way to get back from the graveyard. Black is tertiary in haste, you could combine those to create a {3}{B} splicer that gives golems haste, and give the artificer unearth {4}{B} or something. You could do a Leonin Elder splicer, or a Disciple of the Vault one. A Contraband Kingpin one, a blue splicer that draws you a card whenever an artifact enters the battlefield under your control, a Glaze Fiend-esque splicer. You could do a Scrap Splicer, with "Whenever a golem you control dies, create a 1/1 Myr artifact creature token. Or a blue splicer with: "{T}, Sacrifice a non-golem artifact: Create a 3/3 Golem artifact creature token."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I really liked the countryside crusher ability. What would happen if it were on a bigger creature and an ETB? Anyone have suggestions?

Crusher's theoretical drawback that you have to work around is that it denies you further land drops. Moving the ability to an ETB effect eliminates the only "downside" Crusher has. That means you'ld have to balance the ability by upping the mana cost, and you're simply creating a self mill beatstick. I think as a one shot the ability isn't too interesting, so I would recommend starting with a titan-esque version. Do you want to keep the card red, because I feel like it actually fits better in green.

Provincial Pummeler {3}{G}{G}
Creature - Giant Warrior
Trample
Whenever Provincial Pummeler enters the battlefield or attacks, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a land card, put it into your graveyard, and repeat this process.
Whenever a land card is put into your graveyard from anywhere, put a +1/+1 counter on Provincial Pummeler.
4/4

This card would be sweet with cycling lands, by the way ;)

Oops! I meant to say if it retained the same ability, and had another ability that was ETB, while having and increased CMC.

An example would be:
3RR
Whenever "" ETB, you may loot.
Whenever a land goes into the graveyard, put a +1/+1 on ""

What I was wanting discussion on was the land ability on whether it would still be a flaw, and if it required a new ability to to be relevant.

Tryna push seeker of the way just that last 5-10% because soulfire grandmaster doesn't do enough outside blas act shenanigans and i want a more straightforward roleplayer. Some options, help me pick:

Seeker of the way but it's a 2/3
1W flying 2/1 prowess
1W 2/1 first strike prowess
1W 2/2 prowess, Chill 1 (Chill 2??)

Thinking I'll do the flier

Reactions: dbs
In terms of power level I would absolutely dare to go that far, if you are looking to have a defensive slant to it. Some version of hexproof (but maybe not hexproof) would probably help it on a more aggressive slant.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
You know how nobody calls your bluff when you attack with a prowess creature? First strike means nobody is EVER calling your bluff, and I think it's fun when people do.
I run a mostly similar version of the flier, so it'll be good.

I think vigilance would be an interesting add, though not too powerful

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Me three! Prowess is a sweet mechanic. Take us back to pre-dragons Tarkir for another batch of sweet Jeskai prowess cards please!

I like the 1W first strike prowess myself. Like Chris mentions, blocking is a dangerous proposition, but I love the ninjitsu interaction there (if that's in the cube); balances the decision back to incentivising blocking and also first strike + ninjitsu is just dope. Niche, but dope.

Me three! Prowess is a sweet mechanic. Take us back to pre-dragons Tarkir for another batch of sweet Jeskai prowess cards please!

Wizards did confirm that if (when) we go back to Tarkir, it will be with focus on the 3-colored Khans (clans) and not on the 2-colored dragon broods. They did the same with Zendikar and confirmed that a return set would be without Eldrazi and more focus on the adventures.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So question 1: Can y'all read this?
Glimmering Paladin.png
And question 2: Do you want it? The 3 mana 2/2 double strike has always felt a bit weak in my experience, and I liked that Mirran Crusader didn't die all the time, but then you have to deal with the horrible gameplay that is actual protection.

So question 1: Can y'all read this?
View attachment 3081
And question 2: Do you want it? The 3 mana 2/2 double strike has always felt a bit weak in my experience, and I liked that Mirran Crusader didn't die all the time, but then you have to deal with the horrible gameplay that is actual protection.

The card is readable. White on white is always hard unfortunately.

Maybe just give it "hexproof from spells" instead of hexproof from red and black? This way, green can't fight it and blue can't bounce it, but white can still enchant it and creatures can still target it. Then, you're upgrading the card from "good in some matchups but mediocre in others" to "playable in every matchup."