Sets [DMH] Duskmourn: House of Horror

I'm here for Meathook Massacre II.

Fascinated by the implication that events from elsewhere in the multiverse may have echoes as VHS tapes on Duskmourn.

I may have found a way to reconcile my particular neurodivergence with Universes Beyond. Like, if there's a haunted Blockbuster somewhere in a basement on Duskmourn, and they have Jurassic Park and a box set of Dr. Who... well, who's to say? I don't love it, but it's turning a little key in my brain.

How about Urza's Saga 2?

I'm here for Meathook Massacre II.

Fascinated by the implication that events from elsewhere in the multiverse may have echoes as VHS tapes on Duskmourn.

I may have found a way to reconcile my particular neurodivergence with Universes Beyond. Like, if there's a haunted Blockbuster somewhere in a basement on Duskmourn, and they have Jurassic Park and a box set of Dr. Who... well, who's to say? I don't love it, but it's turning a little key in my brain.

How about Urza's Saga 2?

THAT’s how you do Universes Beyond.
That and also Strixhaven’s Mystical Archive!

Manifest Dread is a spin on a face down mechanic done right. I really hope to get a couple cards with it that fit my cube.

A lot of these names are pretty cringe.

Zimone needed an "and so on" in the reminder text in case someone doesn't understand prime numbers and has 37. etc. lands in play. As worded, it may appear that WotC has arbitrarily assigned "prime" to the listed numbers.

Manifest dread is a great combination of effects and makes good use of the rare two word mechanic by referencing an old one.

Survival adds decisions to the board, which is nice.

Rooms look interesting, but clunky.

Most of these mythics are pushed.

1725148136688.png

This guy looks fun! There are a lot of decisions around it.
- You can play it after blockers to surprise draw cards (one per creature!).
- You can use it as a flash blocker.
- Play it as a threat in a control mirror EOT.
- Use it as sacrifice fodder and still have it stick around.

1725149586773.png

This is a flavor miss for me, but the ability is great. Copying an ETB is solid as is getting fodder. Agate Instigator, Warleader's Call, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Terror of the Peaks, etc. Red is starting to have a solid ETB package!

1725148654897.png

I don't think this gets there, but I am happy to see Delirium and you get a top notch effect as a reward. There are even a few demons which would play nicely with Delirium/GY

Not exhaustive obviously!

Survival's interesting, especially if you have an alternate way of tapping creatures. I wonder if they're going to put it on any mana dorks?

I'm really not sure about Manifest Dread and Cloak/Disguise being in the same standard, though. It feels like that might be confusing in paper.

EDIT: Also, can we talk about how weirdly strong Hauntwoods Shrieker is if you can protect it?

y3jvng8423md1.png

Kind of neat. I like the Sheoldred-lite punisher effect, relevant creature typing, and coming down early as a two drop. If you can get 5-6 damage out of it during it's time on the field that's a good enough return in an R/x Aggro deck.

y3jvng8423md1.png

Kind of neat. I like the Sheoldred-lite punisher effect, relevant creature typing, and coming down early as a two drop. If you can get 5-6 damage out of it during it's time on the field that's a good enough return in an R/x Aggro deck.
Damn, this feels like it will become a staple in at least some formats burn decks? Imagine trying to brainstorm into this guy

patchedplaything.jpg

This thing is a pretty amazing blink/tiny reanimator payoff. Yeah, sure, I'll Recommission this into a 5/4 double striker, that sounds fair.

abandonedcampground.jpg

"Untapped duals at common" wasn't on my checklist for the set...

abandonedcampground.jpg

Huhh... I really wonder how these will play? It seems really counterintuitive, if a player has 13 or less life surely we're in the mid- to late-game, and at that point it doesn't matter as much if a land enters untapped?

Huhh... I really wonder how these will play? It seems really counterintuitive, if a player has 13 or less life surely we're in the mid- to late-game, and at that point it doesn't matter as much if a land enters untapped?

They are like the slow lands (from Innistrad’s most recent visit)

These ones are just very slow lands.

Also is this the most scary flavor text ever?

Seems like Rx ones are way better than the Ux ones. Likely relevant for limited?

Kill an opponent’s creature and swing for 3 or aristocrat your stuff and attack.
Or sac a Spawn/Scion.

abandonedcampground.jpg

I really like this land cycle. While the individual cards aren't that great, the fact that they're printing more fun and flavorful dual lands at common bodes well for future sets. The best recent limited environments (Neon Dynasty, Dominaria United, March of the Machine, and Outlaws of Thunder Junction) have all had common dual lands. These cards existing in the format make a wider range of potential decks viable in a given format.

I really hope they manage to pull something like this off in every set!

Great art on a good card. Dominik Mayer really outdid himself this time! I am excited to give Split Up a try, although I am unsure of wether or not it makes the Cube before Cubecon.