Sets [DMH] Duskmourn: House of Horror

Some neat one drops too

1725396193689.png

Seems very fair, but interesting. You can reanimate on turn 4, but you have all the benefits of being a creature, mostly attacking and recursion.

1725396583551.png

A cheap self-mill engine that becomes relevant later in the game. Being an artifact is generally a plus and it's a fun mini build around.

fearofimpostors.jpg

Oh look, it's this set's cancel-with-an-upside. In all seriousness, I like it.

leylineoftransformation.jpg
leylineofresonance.jpg

New leylines! I like how they're both solid buildarounds.

floodfarmverge.jpg

The rare duals for the set ({W}{W/U} / {U}{U/B} / {B}{B/R} / {R}{R/G} / {G}{G/W})! I'm... not sure how I feel about them?

sayitsname.jpg
altanakthethricecalled.jpg

I'm a sucker for cards that are paired like this - it's a shame that it'd be kinda hard to stick the two cards into a cube thanks to needing three copies of Say Its Name for it to do anything. That said, it's funny that it's a legendary creature that wasn't designed for EDH, so it all balances out.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
floodfarmverge.jpg

The rare duals for the set ({W}{W/U} / {U}{U/B} / {B}{B/R} / {R}{R/G} / {G}{G/W})! I'm... not sure how I feel about them?
Anyone saying "That's not how you spell Nimbus maze!" you're just exposing the fact you've never controlled a nimbus maze, only ever looked at the cardfile for future sight, looked at that land and gone "Oh man that's cool, why didn't they do the other 9 of these? Why do Horizon Canopy and Grove of the Burnwillows get all the love?"

Great art on a good card. Dominik Mayer really outdid himself this time! I am excited to give Split Up a try, although I am unsure of wether or not it makes the Cube before Cubecon.
Dominik Mayer always outdoes himself. My GOAT.

The art is seriously unnerving. Great job by the artist, and I really like the card, but I don't think I want to look at this in my hand lol.

Anyone saying "That's not how you spell Nimbus maze!" you're just exposing the fact you've never controlled a nimbus maze, only ever looked at the cardfile for future sight, looked at that land and gone "Oh man that's cool, why didn't they do the other 9 of these? Why do Horizon Canopy and Grove of the Burnwillows get all the love?"
I briefly thought they were re-worked Tainteds at a glance. I'd love if it were NImbus Maze or Tainteds for the {c}.

Still pretty cool lands. Not great, I don't think, but they're new and always untapped.

When you get down to it, Gloomlake Verge and Blazemire Verge are really just cleaner/more flexible versions of Tainted Isle and Tainted Peak...

EDIT: Yes, they can't tap for {c}, but that's a Brad problem.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
They’re right on par with the checklands, if not better! Not tapping for one of the two colors without help in exchange for always etb’ing untapped is a small sacrifice in a world of fetches and shocks.

I kind of wish the "Fear Of" creatures had a different naming convention, like "Somethinga-phobia". But on the other hand, the name, creature type, card type, and art on these cards tell cool stories in a unique Magic card way.

Hoping for the proxy community to create a bunch of cards that look like Goosebumps books. If I had any knack for Photoshop I'd be hard at work.

lq0l08xn6tmd1.jpg

Untimely Malfunction
I dislike the aesthetics of this one more than most of this set, but goodness, that's a ton of flexibility! I'm currently running the under-appreciated Cast into the Fire and this feels way more exciting as the first redirect effect that has enough utility that it will essentially never feel bad.

The situations where you want to protect your spells/stuff, destroy an artifact, or get in some extra damage are all wildly varied, which is a key value in modal spells, and it helps that none of them are unreasonably costed. I'm beyond excited about this card.

Missed this one back in June

1725470236863.png

Seems very pushed as any sort of blocking becomes a nightmare. Mostly thinking of the Wildfire enjoyers for this one. However it's a double edged sword as Red is going to be the color that has a tough time dealing with it since the removal is damage based.

That's a nice timing with the film coming. And thunder junction was in the middle of a country music invasion from the US.

Still sad they missed it for Adventure in forgotten realm / the movie / Baldur's gate 3 è_é

Some intriguing new two-drops (which is a criteria that I'm excited about):

floodpitsdrowner.jpg
cynicalloner.jpg
traitorousdiplomacy.jpg

Traitorous Diplomacy - {1}{R}
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this spell, pay {2} or sacrifice an enchantment or creature.
Traitorous Diplomacy deals 5 damage to target creature. If that creature would die this turn, exile it instead.

Now I want to build a cube where everyone starts the game with a copy of Transcendence in play. It would be for those occasions where you don’t have time for long drawn out matches. Also for introducing new players to the game, as they would have precisely the same chance of winning as experienced veterans.
This sounds a lot like my idea for a cube where everyone starts the game with a free Cudgel Troll in play!!