Sets [DMH] Duskmourn: House of Horror

I am probably the only one here excited for this:

1725639515596.png

I want colorless to have some mediocre but not unplayable removal for the one- and two-colored decks that don't have it otherwise and I gladly take this minor upgrade over Silver Bolt, as this one has an actual real upside, especially for mono blue.

The art direction for this set is...not great. I loved the early pieces but they went way too hard into contemporary 80s stuff. It seems at odds with the idea of a hellscape world taken over by a demon when half the humans depicted just look like they're on the set of an afternoon TV show.

The "haunted house" stuff rules. But the "survivors" make absolutely no sense in terms of art or flavor. Visually they look like slush art from Unfinity. But the story also makes no sense. One of the survivors is a cheerleader who apparently learned her moves in cheer practice. Cheer practice where!? The whole world has been devoured by a demonic superstructure, and the situation has been going on long enough that entire religions and cultures have formed in this environment.

The worldbuilding in this set is really 50/50 for me. Haunted House Plane is absolutely awesome. Personally, I like the CRT TV's and other "contemporary" tech. But what mall are these kids buying their windbreakers from? Their clothes are polyester and visibly mass-produced. Where!? Where's the sweatshop churning out these sneakers!?

Anyway, my therapist assures me I can't be harmed by these inconsistencies. But I'm not sure.

half the humans depicted just look like they're on the set of an afternoon TV show.
100%. Can I interest you in John Oliver playing dress up?

1725643290205.png

Seriously though, this card is gas. The art and keyword counters aren't my personal favorite, but having a second almost incidental The Ozolith is fantastic. Working with Earthcraft is pure upside.

Edit: Really like this one too for lower powered cubes

1725643847525.png

Ceremonial Chamber
2B
Enchantment- Room
At the beginning of your end step, draw a card.
If you control a Demon, each opponent loses 2 life
and you gain 2 life. Otherwise, you lose 2 life.
Unholy Cloister

3BB
Enchantment - Room
When you unlock this door, create a 6/6 black Demon
creature token with flying.

This curves really nicely into turn 3 draw a card and turn 5 create a demon and recoup some life loss. Excited to try and Populate the demon or something.

Edit 2: A nice way to fill the GY in White that helps reach a certain enchantment density. I really have to finish my lower powered enchantment + bounceland cube!

1725644087870.png

Last edited:
keyword counters aren't my personal favorite

If you’re interested in increasing your hype whenever you see a new keyword counter card I can recommend buying actual beautiful keyword counters (like I did)

Here is a picture

Okay can’t post picture because file is too large. Will this problem ever get fixed?

I can send you an email with the picture of the keyword counters and its case. Or a Messenger. If you want.

If you’re interested in increasing your hype whenever you see a new keyword counter card I can recommend buying actual beautiful keyword counters (like I did)
I've seen some before and some are actually nice. It's still just more upkeep and stuff on the board to keep track of. If you still have my e-mail (or discord), I'd love to see them :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am probably the only one here excited for this:

View attachment 9901

I want colorless to have some mediocre but not unplayable removal for the one- and two-colored decks that don't have it otherwise and I gladly take this minor upgrade over Silver Bolt, as this one has an actual real upside, especially for mono blue.
On the contrary, I currently run Scalding Cauldron, so you're definitely not the only one! Little upgrades like this that make fringe but very synergistic cards ever so slightly more palatable are always very welcome! :)

1725653028526.png
This is a very neat card. Importantly, this has 2 toughness, which means it still trades with (many) one drops, instead of invalidating them. I like 3/2 a lot more than 2/3 as a statline, especially for monocolored two drops! Also, this is an artifact that leaves an artifact behind. Very, very neat!

1725653132140.png
Woah Nelly! Look at this Elvish Visionary upgrade! White card draw, with a relevant card type! Super cool, and looting is actually a super decent floor!

1725653341748.png
This is a very exciting upgrade for my Kadena, Slinking Sorcerer commander deck! Yeah yeah, nothing to do with cube, but I'm still happy as a clam! :p

1725653544836.png
This border is very ugly. The art direction in general is not really my cuppa, but that's okay, I also run Universes Beyond cards if they play well, so... That said, I do run a couple of convoke cards, mainly in white, so this mechanic is definitely one I'm keeping tabs on. This one seems like a very fun one, if you can get it to survive one attack... or get some convoke shenanigans in!

1725653720513.png
LOOKATIT! ITSSOCUTE!

1725653838631.png
This is quite a nifty threat. Annoying to block, hard to kill, quick clock if unopposed (from 20 it deals 2+9; 2+3; 2+1; lethal), but the lack of evasion means it's definitely not unsolvable. Funnest way to kill this would be with -1/-1 counters, but I personally don't run those :D

1725654351442.png
Oh boy! A ninja's wet dream! Not only can it guarantee a ninja hit, but it can also become a ninja, potentially with two +2/+2 counters, on the cheap! Oh, and it draws cards :) AND IT IS AN ENCHANTMENT? Be still my beating heart!

Attachments

• 1725654318701.png
    1725654318701.png
    211.9 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sold on the idea that 3/2 for 2 mana is a great idea for my cube.

I'm also excited to have Bear Trap. It's better than Silver Bolt because it doesn't have lame werewolf text.

View attachment 9908
Woah Nelly! Look at this Elvish Visionary upgrade! White card draw, with a relevant card type! Super cool, and looting is actually a super decent floor!

There is a big difference between looting and drawing a card. One is +1 card to your hand over the other.

View attachment 9912
This is quite a nifty threat. Annoying to block, hard to kill, quick clock if unopposed (from 20 it deals 2+9; 2+3; 2+1; lethal), but the lack of evasion means it's definitely not unsolvable. Funnest way to kill this would be with -1/-1 counters, but I personally don't run those :D

You can always just give it +1/+1 counter and the removal spell it? :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There is a big difference between looting and drawing a card. One is +1 card to your hand over the other.
I'm aware, and I don't think I ever said anything else? It's not that hard to get another 0-2 power creature on the board in white, so Splitskin Doll is going to straight up draw a card a lot of the time, I expect. But, if you can't manage that, looting instead of drawing a card isn't a horrible floor. When I still cubed Lessons, sometimes the correct play with Professor of Symbology was to draw and discard, rather than get a Lesson from your sideboard.

By the way, they better bring back Lesson/Learn in Strixhaven! Such a cool mechanic!

View attachment 9911
LOOKATIT! ITSSOCUTE!

View attachment 9914
Oh boy! A ninja's wet dream! Not only can it guarantee a ninja hit, but it can also become a ninja, potentially with two +2/+2 counters, on the cheap! Oh, and it draws cards :) AND IT IS AN ENCHANTMENT? Be still my beating heart!
I'm not sure how good Irreverent Gremlin is, in the right deck it can act as a discount Smuggler's Copter. Does it trigger with tokens?

I agree that Silent Hallcreeper is perfect for Ninjas, I like the fact that it draws a card immediately and that you have to think about whether to give it counters or not. Now, it ceases to be unblockable when it becomes a copy of another creature, so that might be difficult.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm not sure how good Irreverent Gremlin is, in the right deck it can act as a discount Smuggler's Copter. Does it trigger with tokens?
It most certainly does!

I agree that Silent Hallcreeper is perfect for Ninjas, I like the fact that it draws a card immediately and that you have to think about whether to give it counters or not. Now, it ceases to be unblockable when it becomes a copy of another creature, so that might be difficult.
Yep, but a 4/4 Ninja of the Deep Hours is a lot harder to block than a 2/2!

I'm aware, and I don't think I ever said anything else? It's not that hard to get another 0-2 power creature on the board in white, so Splitskin Doll is going to straight up draw a card a lot of the time, I expect. But, if you can't manage that, looting instead of drawing a card isn't a horrible floor. When I still cubed Lessons, sometimes the correct play with Professor of Symbology was to draw and discard, rather than get a Lesson from your sideboard.

By the way, they better bring back Lesson/Learn in Strixhaven! Such a cool mechanic!
I believe you said it was an upgrade. And I don't see them being that similiar. You'll need a 1-drop in order to draw from Doll on turn 2 when you want to cast it. And drawing it on an empty board in the late game you're looking at a loot instead of a draw. With Visionary you could always 'cycle' it no matter what. This one has requirements. I don't see this card being an upgrade. Maybe a sidegrade if you want to.

And yes, Lesson/Learn is a great mechanic! One of my favorites!
I even run a lot of custom cards for this mechanic now because it's so cool I think.

1725723721144.png

I'm not in the market for this, but I like all the themes it ties together. Manifest Dread fuels the GY and can work with Blink effects. The +1/+1 counters is a common theme and it works with your artifacts. It's also 10 power for 6 mana, so all that is probably moot as the opponent will be dead before you can show them your cool synergies.

@ravnic My only problem with Under The Skin is that my creatureless Shigeki EDH deck has given me an aversion to Regrowth effects that make creatures. I hate how my brain works sometimes. :p

Some neat blue three drops!

glitchinterpreter.jpg
thetaleoftamiyo.jpg

Glitch Interpreter's a nice card advantage engine if you've got artifact creatures or other morphs running around, and it self-enables in a really interesting way.

The Tale of Tamiyo looks like a sweet archetype in a can. It's fragile enough that it's probably going to end up just being a bit of self-mill, but if you can protect it and/or proliferate the payoff is kinda bonkers.