Sets [DMH] Duskmourn: House of Horror

So... what colors do you think this card would be if the "you may only include cards that fall within your commander's color identity" rule didn't exist?
This is actually an interesting question because the first ability is very Green (impulse for a bunch of permanents of a specific type), but the room synergy is for an archetype that is primarily URbw (Green isn’t really a Room//Erie color in this set).

So… I think the answer might actually be this card wouldn’t exist with its current text box if not for Commander. Not that I really mind— I would rather the “competitively unplayable casual constructed build around” cards be things that a sizable portion of the player base will actually be interested in as opppsed to cards like Blood Funnel and Conjured Currency that only appeal to a very specific subset of Turbojohnnies.

This is actually an interesting question because the first ability is very Green (impulse for a bunch of permanents of a specific type), but the room synergy is for an archetype that is primarily URbw (Green isn’t really a Room//Erie color in this set).

The funny thing is that they just spoiled...

keystothehouse.jpg

So who knows what color the second ability actually is! Though my guess would probably be {U/R}, given how that's the actual "cares about Rooms" pair if we go by the draft archetypes.

One of the reasons I'm playing the game with Marina specifically is that she very much isn't a {W}{U}{B}{R}{G} character - she's probably {U}{B} at most.

One of the reasons I'm playing the game with Marina specifically is that she very much isn't a {W}{U}{B}{R}{G} character - she's probably {U}{B} at most.
As much as I think you're right about the character being UB I think the card is at least GWU or GWB (at least without pie bends). I also think it make flavorful sense for her to be the "rooms matter" legend since Duskmourn is basically just her house but big.

I like the most boring stuff, but this can probably go into my beginner cube along with Bear Trap.

That cube runs some combat tricks, and I like equipment and auras with flash. This is now the best green flash aura option for me unless they decide to make something at two mana that I like.

1726167712352.png
Jeez! What a banger! This seems tailor made for my cube.
- More discard enablers in Green to trigger Inti, Raven Man, Converter, …
- More cards that can be discarded/milled for value in Green
- More zombies for Gravecrawler
- More targets for Berserk/Embercleave/Rancor

Excited to try it out!

View attachment 9932

Excited to try it out!

Spicy! I think this is as good as your graveyard hate is bad. Investing 3 mana a pop to get your graveyard nuked would be a real buzzkill

This card, mechanically, is really intriguing. But man, I hate the aesthetics. I am actually considering to get a couple copies and try to alter it, have it be an actual worm coming out of a book shelf or something lol

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

This card, mechanically, is really intriguing. But man, I hate the aesthetics. I am actually considering to get a couple copies and try to alter it, have it be an actual worm coming out of a book shelf or something lol
I also hate that it's randomly a 2/3 in a format that includes face down 2/2's.

View attachment 9932

Excited to try it out!
This is perfect. Call of the Herd has been oudated for years, but you felt obligated to run it to give green some extra graveyard support. It could be a bit repetitive, but given its cost, I doubt doing it over and over again will be the best way to spend your mana.

I had no expectations for the set, but I'm already curious of a few cards. This is an obvious include but Enduring Curiosity alo seems interesting.

@ravnic
I think ‘manifest dread’ varies wildly in power level depending on the format.

Crazy example: Imagine a set completely without creatures. No chance to turn anything face up. Now imagine a set where all creatures have a powerful ETB effect but a weak body. Low chances of the owner wanting to turn that card face up.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Let's assume, for simplicity's sake, the manifested dread is of similar value as the 2/2 flying drakes.
You probably run 17-18 lands in a dedicated landfall deck. Obviously you need lands to cast her, so let's say there's 12-14 lands left, depending on how many lands and mana elves/rocks you run. Assuming you need at least a couple of creatures to finish the game (let's say 6), and some mana rocks to develop your engines on time (let's say 2), you'ld actually be hard pressed to run 17-18 instants and sorceries. Obviously, and unlike lands, you don't necessarily have to play those spells before Talrand hits the board, but going "I've got nothing" until you get Talrand online is a recipe for disaste ;)

I think it's better than Tatyova, but I'd be careful of the "cheat" mode. Seems like it could be GRBS in a low power environment, especially.

Not gonna compare to Talrand because it's a totally different card and not competing for the slot.

I think Tatyova is the safer pick between the two, but it depends how she's performing for you.

I don't know if Zimone would cheat out that much stuff. Seems pretty inconsistent at least.

And yes, Talrand is probably worse but it's kinda compareable as a four mana dude that spits out 2/2s with upside when you do the thing. Isn't it?

I don't know if Zimone would cheat out that much stuff. Seems pretty inconsistent at least.
I'd think a manifest dread is better than draw 1 gain 1, but T4-5 Vista -> flip a [fatty] would personally annoy me. Depends if your group thinks that's an "oh wow!" moment or a "that's bullshit" moment, I suppose.

If you're liking Tatyova, I'd leave it be. If you want to juice her up a little and you're not scared of the flipped fatty, make the switch.
And yes, Talrand is probably worse but it's kinda compareable as a four mana dude that spits out 2/2s with upside when you do the thing. Isn't it?
I know you run one card per multicolor slot, so I Fight Club'd them. I honestly have no opinion on Talrand, as I've never used it. I like Young Pyromancers with Village Rites, but that's all I can really say on that one.

Last edited: