General [DOM]Dominaria

hmm, interesting question. Two-card kill combo is pretty strong, but 9 mana is quite a lot. Seems like a pretty 'fair' combo to include in a cube all-in-all. Allows the deck to be more control and spells focused than using something like an X spell that might only deal 14 damage or something (meaning they have to dish out additional damage in other ways).

So I'd say no, but combos are group-sensitive, so it's probably on them tbh

I've been doming my test dummies for 20 as early as turn 7 (thanks to some mana acceleration) with...

Is that too strong?

I love it!

Both cards ars fairly weak on their own but still cubable. However combined they offer a huge reward for the player who had the knowledge of the format to know they are a posibility and the luck to actually get them. High risk, high reward.

Also I like high cost comboes on few cards or cheap comboes on many cards.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Testing makes me want to add these cards so far:

And not want to add these:

Unknowns (haven't seen in action enough):

I have briefly tested sagas, and I dislike that there's no tension in History of Benalia. It's just raw stats, and ok, multiple bodies over a few turns, but there are more fun cards that put out multiple bodies. With that one gone, there aren't too many sagas I'm interested in, so I just decided to not add them for now. Likewise, Untamed Kavu is just a bit too boring, and you never want to play him on two (unlike Kavu Titan in its day), since the upside is so huge. Wasn't a fan of the illusion of choice it provides, even though the 5-mana option is one hell of a creature.

The two knights are sweet, nice flavor, hexproof from a color is exactly the right amount of disruption I want, and they are at their sweetest in the BW human deck I support, since they boost each other. Perfect pair! Other than that I was especially impressed by how useful Radha is, and how much value Rona can add. Though... I do now play both Radha's, which is weird... The Allosaurus is another good dino (which has a small amount of support), often just played on turn 4 as a biggie, the kicker is pretty relevant if you can reach it, which makes it another nice reward for RG ramp!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Tell me more about ghitu chronicler. Is a six mana archaeomancer good? The two mana mode is okay in an emergency but lackluster...
Spells matter is a well supported archetype in my cube, and that deck is typically in the market for an early defensive creature. This one happens to align very well with the main theme. I don't expect it to be spectacular, but it's a nice signal that aggro is not the only way to draft red!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Daredevil is on my wish list. It's a bit cheaper now, I expect she'll replace Ghitu Chronicler eventually. Crater Elemental doesn't signal "spells matter" as well as Ghitu Chronicler :)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Tell me more about ghitu chronicler. Is a six mana archaeomancer good? The two mana mode is okay in an emergency but lackluster...

Not too sure how well it goes in cube, but I have drafted almost two Ghitu Chronicler's in every one of my DOM drafts. They have been a really great card. Stemming bleeding early and usually bringing back Fight With Fire when it is possible to be kicked to actually finish off games.

Let's compare this to it's most common comparisons:
v v

Archaeomancer is the cheapest for the ability, but the UU cost is a little prohibitive and a 1/2 body is a little mediocre.
Mnemonic Wall is a great blocker but costs a little more. Is more splashable, but 0/4 doesn't feel worth splashing.
Ghitu Chronicler can come in early if you need a blocker. RR isn't too hard to hit at 6 mana. Can do little bits of chip-in damage. Is already in a colour that has efficient removal.

It is that last point that I feel puts Chronicler over the edge. Being in blue when brining back an instant or sorcery you would expect it to be either card draw or counterspells. These are more reactive pieces and are only decent if you are on parity or ahead. Being in red and getting a piece of removal (burn) helps make it feel like the chronicler impacts the board more IMO. It also lets you bleed the effect into other colours and a RG ramp deck can take a new identity with this card, even RW control.

I'll vouch for the card. She isn't for overpowered lists, but lower powered lists may enjoy the utility she brings.

I really like the point of it being red, so if you run the cards above you'd probably get a nice little red card advantage packet? Some stronger than others

Is the general sentiment that this card is just a boring lump of stats? I've enjoyed tuning my white section to support human and knight tribal, partially to make the final pump of this card feel that much more explosive. Unfortunately the card hasn't had much play yet but I feel optimistic in can do good work in my list. On another note, Benalish Marshal has been an all star and has contributed to the rise of white weenie in my cube (alongside a third Champion of the Parish and the return of Armageddon, Hero of Bladehold, and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar).

It is pretty high on the Scarab God scale.

But I am a sucker for Sagas. I would 100 % give it a go and then analyse after the tournament.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean as far as above the curve guys go, at least this is just a pile of stats. I think it's less insane than say, brimaz? He provides a mounting advantage

I always found that card to only really be problematic in multiples in Standard. The first one is just stats over time. I think it's a cute way to support knights tribal with a card that's actually good on a vacuum (looking at u Haakon, Stromgald Scourge

This assessment seems much closer to my admittedly limited experience with the card. It's actually felt difficult to justify running, even in heavily white decks because the staggered 2/2 bodies have such little board impact and gives your opponent opportunity to remove the creatures or the saga before the pump hits. It really is mostly that cute knight tribal interaction and the stunning art that keeps me pushing for more substantive data before it hits the cube binder. I didn't realize the card was perceived as too powerful over here, I figured it was more an issue of it being too vanilla.