Fade into Oblivion 1B
Instant
Destroy target nonlegendary creature

zhalfirinvoid.jpg

Zhalfrin Void
Land
T: Add C
ETB Scry 1

Between Fade and Llanowar Elves, WotC is printing a lot of stuff they said they wouldn't anymore.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's also a new Djinn spoiled. Looks like...

Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp {4}{U}{U}
Legendary Creature - Djinn
You may pay {3}{U} and tap an untapped artifact you control rather than pay Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp's mana cost.
Flying
5/6

Looks like a pretty sweet commander. The evasion and circumvention of the commander tax means you could actually kill people through commander damage with this card, even if it gets killed a lot of times.

I will add Saproling Migration. It's not spectacular, but since I support green aggro, green tokens, and it seems also playable in ramp, it is a perfect fit for my cube.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Wasn't that a temporary thing though? Something about the pendulum swinging back and forth?

Even if it is, before there was a 0% chance I'd ever get something on par with mana leak ever again. It'd either be a balanced-in-commander-broken-in-legacy thing like true name nemesis, or it'd be cancel++.

This pendulum was stationary for the last 6ish years :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Arbor Elf, Farseek (both Magic 2013) and Murder (Eldritch Moon) partly disagree that it has been that long, but yes, certain effects have certainly been watered down on average during the last six-ish years. I wouldn't get my hopes up for good countermagic though :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Arbor Elf, Farseek (both Magic 2013) and Murder (Eldritch Moon) partly disagree that it has been that long, but yes, certain effects have certainly been watered down on average during the last six-ish years. I wouldn't get my hopes up for good countermagic though :p

Murder is no doom blade, and Arbor Elf/Farseek are both 5 years since its last standard printing (2013 for both)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nothing yet but I'm hopeful. It's just another one of those things they decided was too powerful for standard.
I'm pretty sure their Market Research ™️ concluded that the average kid playing FNMs does not like his spells getting countered from turn 2 onwards, and that sentiment is not going anywhere soon. I'm pretty sure two mana catch all counterspells and three mana land destruction are a relic of the past. But I could be mistaken, of course. Their two mana (and cheaper) counterspells have been conditional in what they can target for a pretty long time now though.

There's also a new Djinn spoiled. Looks like...

Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp {4}{U}{U}
Legendary Creature - Djinn
You may pay {3}{U} and tap an untapped artifact you control rather than pay Zahid, Djinn of the Lamp's mana cost.
Flying
5/6

Looks like a pretty sweet commander. The evasion and circumvention of the commander tax means you could actually kill people through commander damage with this card, even if it gets killed a lot of times.

Other people have said this doesn't get around the commander tax because it's an alternate casting cost that doesn't just put it into play. I don't play enough EDH these days to be certain on that though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Other people have said this doesn't get around the commander tax because it's an alternate casting cost that doesn't just put it into play. I don't play enough EDH these days to be certain on that though.
No, that's my mistake, other people are totally right! Well, too bad they are, I got excited there for a moment :(

Fade into Oblivion is sweet, I'm digging that FNM promo border as well. I like how quickly they've backtracked on their changes to FNM prizing. Turns out that people like having cool incentives for a Friday night event when they could literally be doing anything else that night! Who knew? Top tier Market Research ™️ from WoTC as always.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Pitty they changed the flavor text on Llawnmower Elves. I liked the 5th edition flavor text.

Also, Chainer's Torment? Chainer's still alive? Or is his biography just being quoted?

Chainer's Torment is one of the sagas. It was also the name of the novel for Torment the set, apparently.

I like the pack art for the new llanowar elves, but I think it's badly used on llanowar elves

Because of the dual-wielding, sharp daggers that makes Llanowar Elves look like a card that is strong in combat?

I am not presuming this is the case but IF this is the case then take a look at these old flavor texts:

“Hardened by their life in the haunted Llanowar Forest, these fierce beings are outcasts among elvenkind.”
“One bone broken for every twig snapped underfoot. —Llanowar penalty for trespassing”

And please compare the new art to this one:

831EDA28-E4CF-4E8E-B223-C452547DA144.jpeg

I feel like these elves have always been quite brutal. And isn’t that dagger in the same league as the one we saw ten year ago?