Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

irencragpyromancer.jpg

This is neat. Nice little side piece for the spells deck since it wants to be cantriping all the time.
This art is kinda weird... what's going on in this picture??!!

If this is their argument, then maybe Wizards officially should redefine what legendary means in this game. Right now legendary means unique and something that is a specific location, object or person with a name. In the real world the Eiffel Tower, Donald Trump and Mona Lisa would be legendary.

If by "redefine" you simply mean "change what qualifies as being legendary," then sure. If you mean "change the legendary rules again," then no. The current Legend Rule works well as it is and I don't think it's worth changing a fundamental game mechanic again just to make certain land locations legendary.

I do not want to delude this thread even further and keep answering questions about legendary supertype. Everyone is welcome to PM me if they want :)

I thought this set was going to be slim pickings for once this year, but I've added 14 cards to test out in my cube and I'm adding both cycles of lands to the ULD. I wasn't even thinking of making such big changes across my instant/sorcery sections, but Adventures were just too good to pass up on value wise. With most of spoiler season completed, the cards I'm most excited to play with are:

ranklemasterofpranks1.jpg
emrylurkeroftheloch1.jpg
charmingprince1.jpg

Rankle looks like great support for Stax and I'm all for more cards that let me maximize the value off of Braids. It just offers so many different avenues to attack your opponent from. Emry is additional support for UR Artifacts which is what I'm all about right now. I might need to revisit various baubles and other artifacts that are cashed in for value to maximize her abilities. We'll see if that body is too flimsy to really stick around or if she's as powerful as I think she is. Charming Prince is just a great roleplayer across a variety of archetypes and slots in incredibly well on the curve. Finally:

orderofmidnightp.jpg

I just think this card's art is going to be gorgeous in foil and I can't wait to pick up a copy and just look at it all day. This set is great.

I’m not worried about any of it because we play a Rogue-like version of my cube now that is super fun. It includes cards getting banned and if any combo seems too strong, players will ban a combo piece. The playing field sort of evens out this way.

Tell me more about this? It sounds fun.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Bastien L. deharme apparently.

reaperofthenight.jpg

Man that art, this card is real bad :p

merfolksecretkeeper.jpg

U mill 4 into U 0/4? Nice support card

rimrockknight.jpg

Not bad. I like that 3/1 for 2 is acceptable now

I canyt link a picture right now for some reason but we got Tormenting Voice as an Instant. Well that's an upgrade I'm super willing to make, even though i'm not in love with Argyle's art style.

dwarvenmine.jpg

When are we going to get the cycle where the red one is neither the best nor the worst of the nonbasics?

(this being one of the best, imo)

Laz

Developer
I gotchu boo
thrillofpossibility.jpg

I think this might be the last custom card in my list! I have been running Tormenting Voice as an Instant for a year or so, and it plays exactly like you would expect it to. Really nice filler, and really nice card in this limited environment with the 'When you draw your second card in a turn...' theme.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I'm really glad to have Thrill to round out the red rummaging suite and the instant speed is enough of an upgrade to Tormenting Voice that the choice between it and Cathartic Reunion is much starker now (it was already a real choice but I don't know how many drafters would recognize that)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Thrill is an easy upgrade over Tormenting Voice, but didn't feel like an important enough upgrade to custom it up. I'm glad they printed it :)

It will in my cube for sure. Madness and spells matter will fight over it I suppose.
That makes 4 cards already I'll ad from this set pretty confidently, that's a high number.
We will get full spoiler today right?

These are the other three. I'm als thinking over the artifact destroying adventure guy.

49875f7a-31b9-4276-b971-8ead1e18fc81.jpg
d0960ccb-6952-4398-aa94-816e6fb04c2d.jpg
6d747619-3057-4973-aec7-a0e4674e94f7.jpg

And there are more adventures I'd love to add just for their beautiful frame and artwork