Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Chris Taylor

Contributor
fabledpassage.jpg

Iiiiiinteresting

Hold it right there mister. You don’t have ten (eleven) exceptions to a rule. Then it is no longer a rule.

And why where the Ixalan lands not just non-legendary artifacts and enchantments on the front so they would also be non-legendary on the back?

Because in the Ixalan case wizards could push the cards more if they were legends. Since they technically occupy a spell slot instead of a land slot, the Ixalan flip lands wouldn't have been putting stress on the mana base as legends. Drawing a second Search for Azcanta doesn't stop you from playing magic when you're mana screwed in the same way drawing a second Karakas does. Plus, having two Azcanta, the Sunken Ruins in play is just absurd.

Since the new Castle Lands are meant to help people building mono-color Adamant decks in the new standard, making them legendary would defeat the whole purpose of their printing. Their supposed to be a minor buff for constructed decks, not flavor wins.

brazenborrower.jpg

There were bits of both Cyclonic Rift and Nimble Obstructionist that I didn't love, even though they were both sweet cards.
Stapling them together and removing the parts I didn't like is a slam dunk for me, even if it can't block ground creatures

I like this quite a lot. All of the adventure cards help control and aggro decks by providing flexibility and card advantage unrivaled by most other cards. I like the fact that this guy in particular can be a Disperse while also having the body of a Nimble Obstructionist. Interestingly, a lot of the best Adventures feel like they don't fit into midrange. The Borrower in particular does not seem to want to be in a deck that is just trying to curve out 1-2-3-4. Meanwhile, aggro likes the flexibility of either just making a hard-to-block 3/1 on turn three with flexibility as a spell when drawn later in the game, while control decks like having instant-speed interaction that can also double as a pseudo-win condition.

I hope this isn't expensive during the prerelease- I want to get one of these before my fall break cube draft!

fabledpassage.jpg

Iiiiiinteresting

This just makes me think of Prismatic Vista. I think people who are playing that would be correct in adding this as well- I think I will probably be doing that if I can make the room. This is by far the worst of the rare Fetch Lands.

If only. Prismatic Vista should have been uncommon.

kenrithstransformation.jpg

Is it weird this reminds me of Spreading Seas?

That's a sweet and flavorful Beast Within variant, better than Lignify? Or about the same?
Also what are people's thoughts on
thegreathenge.jpg

I like it better than beast whisperer but I feel like it's too slow, even though it's a mana rock itself, could be real cute/dangerous with Tinker and Trash for Treasure though.

Me Likey. Mono-Green Artifacts keeps getting better and better :p.

I am very surprised no one has mentioned Improbable Alliance:
improbablealliance.jpg

This reminds me of Bitterblossom. Sure, it doesn't always make a faerie on every upkeep, but it can be combined with looters to great effect. You can also get a Faerie on your opponent's turn- the card doesn't specify that the second draw must be on your turn. In addition, this card has a built-in looting effect, meaning that it is self-enabling if you reach 6 mana.

The Izzet slot might be hard to break into- but I think this card is actually going to replace Izzet Charm in my next update. It signals to U/R drafters that "you should be drawing cards!!" Plus, the fact that it says the word "discard" in it's rules text might help some of my drafters realize that U/R can be built as a discard deck.

I'm very much into this. Move over Dreadhorde Invasion, there's a new Badderblossom in town!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Even without tinkering too much with your UR section it's fairly easy to build a deck where Alliance triggers at least once per turn cycle. An intriguing card for sure (a mini Locust God!)

Because in the Ixalan case wizards could push the cards more if they were legends. Since they technically occupy a spell slot instead of a land slot, the Ixalan flip lands wouldn't have been putting stress on the mana base as legends. Drawing a second Search for Azcanta doesn't stop you from playing magic when you're mana screwed in the same way drawing a second Karakas does. Plus, having two Azcanta, the Sunken Ruins in play is just absurd.

Since the new Castle Lands are meant to help people building mono-color Adamant decks in the new standard, making them legendary would defeat the whole purpose of their printing. Their supposed to be a minor buff for constructed decks, not flavor wins.

If this is their argument, then maybe Wizards officially should redefine what legendary means in this game. Right now legendary means unique and something that is a specific location, object or person with a name. In the real world the Eiffel Tower, Donald Trump and Mona Lisa would be legendary.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You’re confusing modern day technology (2019 tech) with Magic planes and what they can do. Also in our future we might but I doubt anyone would clone Donald.

I hope you understood the underlying point.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Of course I do ;)

Wizards of the Coast wants to represent unique locations on land cards, but they don't like the implications of the legendary supertype on lands. Their compromise is to print unique locations as nonlegendary lands, which is a flavor fail, but a gameplay win. With legendary lands, they are thus choosing function over flavor. You might not agree with this point of view, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but this has been WotC's stance for a long time now.

Yep and this is what we concluded yesterday.

Then I brought up a new point. Maybe Wizards should redefine what it means to be legendary/not legendary since their current formula no longer works. See Dominaria for instance. They wanted Sagas to be legendary but admitted it would hurt sales so they decide against it. Then they made legendary spells that doesn’t function like legendary cards at all. Maybe they should just ditch the whole supertype legendary and make a keyword that they give to all permanents that says you can only have 1 in your deck/on the battlefield. This is also a good way to sell packs, new and flashy with a new card frame!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I wouldn't be surprised if they did redefine what it means to be legendary in the future, since they already have done so several times in the past. However, I do think the legendary supertype is here to stay, as there's simply too much legacy to deal with if they did wanted to change it. MaRo has gone on record that he would have abolished the Instant card type (and make it sort of a supertype with rules meaning instead) if he had the ability to redesign MtG, but that it is too ingrained into the fabric of Magic to make that change now.

I don’t mean to errata the past. Only I hope Wizards will do something about the legendary type in the future because it doesn’t make sense anymore. Just like they once decided to stop printing Lord cards and now they are instead printing Noble cards. If that solution works for them, great!

I have almost 20 cards on my buy-list from Eldraine :p This is not like me.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Resolute%20Cavalier

Woah, they kept the best for last! That's quite a beating, the threat of activation is going to make this pretty annoying to deal with!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
What makes you say this? I think Prismatic Vista is very powerful and a clear 2-step upgrade from Evolving Wilds

Because it's still worse than even painlands. In modern specifically, it's worse in RW decks than scalding tarn is.

also, 2 step? It's untapped, and has a downside as a result. Technically that's a net 0, though you'd be hard pressed to tell people it wasn't a power level upgrade

I don’t mean to errata the past. Only I hope Wizards will do something about the legendary type in the future because it doesn’t make sense anymore. Just like they once decided to stop printing Lord cards and now they are instead printing Noble cards. If that solution works for them, great!

I have almost 20 cards on my buy-list from Eldraine :p This is not like me.

It's insane! I've got like 25. Usually there's some cards that are not quite close enough, or some theme that goes nowhere, or something I've got to slap custom paint all over, but no!

Mystic Sanctuary + Cryptic Command = tap all your creatures every turn for 4 mana, but I don't get a draw step or land drops.
That's strong and sometimes game-winning, but will backfire sometimes.

Mystic Sanctuary + Gush = I draw one extra card for every two land drops I skip. Are you really worried about that?

Mystic Sanctuary + Cryptic Command = tap all your creatures every turn for 4 mana, but I don't get a draw step or land drops.
That's strong and sometimes game-winning, but will backfire sometimes.

Mystic Sanctuary + Gush = I draw one extra card for every two land drops I skip. Are you really worried about that?

I’m not worried about any of it because we play a Rogue-like version of my cube now that is super fun. It includes cards getting banned and if any combo seems too strong, players will ban a combo piece. The playing field sort of evens out this way.