Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Does anyone else think that this might be an interesting gold card for Mardu if one wants to push Knights and Equipment?
en_wYB6b9m8S6.png

Embercleave should reasonably come down on turn 4 in an aggressive deck and deal some surprise damage, and it should always make the wielder survive combat that turn. I think that's good enough for me to play, especially because I rarely see a viable combat trick. I don't think it gets my equipment count high enough to run Stoneforge, but it brings it closer at least.

Doom Foretold is weird. If it's your only nonland, nontoken permanent at the start of your turn, you have to sacrifice it and you never get the draw+Knight. The nontoken clause shuts off some of the synergies Braids has in black/white. I don't think I'll run it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Embercleave should reasonably come down on turn 4 in an aggressive deck and deal some surprise damage, and it should always make the wielder survive combat that turn. I think that's good enough for me to play, especially because I rarely see a viable combat trick. I don't think it gets my equipment count high enough to run Stoneforge, but it brings it closer at least.

Doom Foretold is weird. If it's your only nonland, nontoken permanent at the start of your turn, you have to sacrifice it and you never get the draw+Knight. The nontoken clause shuts off some of the synergies Braids has in black/white. I don't think I'll run it.

Yeah, I think this would be more interesting with "nonland, nontoken" (or heaven forbid only "nonland") scratched through, although I get why they don't make cards like that in Standard anymore. Or, you know, add "another" in front of "nonland", that would work too.

0f8e0f75-74b7-41d6-98fd-d8bffd77dfce-jpeg.2725

What are they doing..?

On the Scarab God scale, this has got to be pretty high. I run a Bant legendary theme but this is just awkward.

I'm all for more aggressive beaters in Green that can punish control and value-driven midrange strategies, but this is so inelegant. I want another Vengevine like card, but this is way too much in one card. I think you just play it in every green deck no matter what, it's just never a bad card. If they toned it down a little I'd be playing it for sure, but it's just way too efficient a package as is.

When there is something I don't want, than it is blue getting lifegain to become a more annoying control color. I agree that everyone should get some degree of card draw, but that's also a more integral part of the game than gaining life.

I'm all for more aggressive beaters in Green that can punish control and value-driven midrange strategies, but this is so inelegant. I want another Vengevine like card, but this is way too much in one card. I think you just play it in every green deck no matter what, it's just never a bad card. If they toned it down a little I'd be playing it for sure, but it's just way too efficient a package as is.

Cards like this are the reason I don't attend prereleases.

But despite all my negative comments on this page, I'm in love with Eldraine and mostly positive about the spoilers so far.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Cards like this are the reason I don't attend prereleases.

But despite all my negative comments on this page, I'm in love with Eldraine and mostly positive about the spoilers so far.

While I'll admit it's rather over the top, this isn't even that bad as overpowered mythics go, since you can just kill it.
Perhaps bake it into a pie:
bakeintoapie1.jpg