Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Wow the serpent is great! A GY exile effect, but also repeatable, and repeatable off the back of a repeatable discard outlet. With flash finisher for later. Really nice.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm on mobile so it'll be quick but I have to post this guy
lochmereserpent.jpg

This is so good for the black cube. The gentle yard removal is exactly what I've been looking for, as "exile all" is too harsh for my environment and there's relatively few cards that have a mild yard disruption on them. The UB decks will happily mill this early, disable part of your yard, and cast this later with excess swamps. Really nice one. I just hope that FIVE cards doesn't prove to be too much.

The UB quadbrid fucking blows. I dislike hand reveals and it also doesn't do enough for 4. Further, I needed it to be a permanent for devotion. Oh well.

"Greedy Impulse"
{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}{U/B}
Sorcery
Target opponent reveals their hand. You choose a nonland card in that player's hand or graveyard, and exile it. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may cast it, and you spend mana as though it were any type to cast it.
For reference

People in the comments comparing this to hostage taker, not noticing it can't take anything from play.
Not quite lads :p

charmingprince.jpg

Oh snap. White card smoothing and flickering? I gotta run this Prince Charm.
Me too! I love how this guy is simultaneously a guy who blinks and also a blink target. This might see Modern play in humans, actually, since his blink ability is the same as Flickerwisp's and he can be vial'd in on two. That said, I'm more excited for his cube implications. Solid card.

worthyknight1.jpg

it's me I'm the guy who misread this as "cast a Human spell" and got real excited, but this might be for someone else!
I've been thinking about this card all day, because it makes no sense from a flavorful standpoint. Whenever you cast another knight spell, Worthy Knight... has a baby? Does she sleep with the other knights when you cast them? What about when the other knight is another woman? Do they just adopt a child in that case? And how can a newborn fight the turn it comes into play? Am I really supposed to throw a baby in front of a Phyrexian Obliterator? What the heck, WOTC!

I think the idea is that all your creatures step through the flame, and they either burn or shine. If they're not knights, they burn, which does nothing because it's a really weak flame. If they are honorable knights, they shine, and a random nearby human is like "Wow, that dude is shiny. I want to be near him or her." and joins them in fighting for you.

People in the comments comparing this to hostage taker, not noticing it can't take anything from play.
Not quite lads :p

This : Hostage Taker :: Flame Slash : FTK

And you'll note that Flame Slash had to cost 1 mana to be good. This would have been decent if given a 2/3 body, probably. A bad Sin Collector, but I personally feel that Sin is a bit too quick for an ETB +1. I don't really like immediate value too early on my curve unless the body's trash to compensate.

Or if it could hit a card in play. That would be a good alternative to Taker.

As is, the card's just really disappointing for anyone with a cube slanted towards black or blue. So, just for me.

Kenrith is a really enjoyable design.

Hoping to see the love child of Dark Betrayal and Mystical Dispute as well as hoping for good quadbrids, personally. We'll see what we get.

That beast is really stupid. That troll seems really high variance.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Most of the quadbrids are underwhelming so far. They're certainly a lot less powerful than the CCDD uncs from the most recent Ravnica block.

Okay, how does this charming prince have these abilities? None of them make sense to me, really.
He either:
- Gives you information
- Gives you resources (life)
- Rescues somebody

The third is the weakest ability from a flavour standpoint because it's going to blink your own stuff 95% of the time, but hey.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
He either:
- Gives you information
- Gives you resources (life)
- Rescues somebody

The third is the weakest ability from a flavour standpoint because it's going to blink your own stuff 95% of the time, but hey.

I was like...

- Shares information
- Shares (fine) food
- Sends a servant to fetch something, pronto!

I thought the third ability was spot on :)

I've been thinking about this card all day, because it makes no sense from a flavorful standpoint. Whenever you cast another knight spell, Worthy Knight... has a baby? Does she sleep with the other knights when you cast them? What about when the other knight is another woman? Do they just adopt a child in that case? And how can a newborn fight the turn it comes into play? Am I really supposed to throw a baby in front of a Phyrexian Obliterator? What the heck, WOTC!

The tokens should really be 1/2 Human Soldiers.

scorchingdragonfire.jpg

I'm always down for another Incinerate variant. Options and variety in red burn are great.

outlawsmerriment.jpg

Okay, I LOVE Assemble the Legion, but I eventually came to terms with the fact that it was a little too inevitable, and got out of hand too quickly. I'm all about this.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
outlawsmerriment.jpg

Okay, I LOVE Assemble the Legion, but I eventually came to terms with the fact that it was a little too inevitable, and got out of hand too quickly. I'm all about this.

I'm apprehensive about Outlaw's Merriment, precisely because of experiencing how brutal Assemble the Legion was. This comes down a turn sooner, and averages just over 2 power per turn (if the damage from the rogue goes to the dome). So, if we compare the total output of power:

T5: OM 2 > ATL 0
T6: OM 4 > ATL 1
T7: OM 6 > ATL 3
T8: OM 8 > ATL 6
T9: OM 10 > ATL 10
T10: OM 12 < ATL 15

Only on turn 10 does Assemble the Legion outvalue Outlaw's Merriment. I mean, obviously Assemble creates more bodies, which can be more important than total power, but still. Outlaw's Merriment seems brutal.