Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Gingerbrute kicks ass!! If you're going to catch the Gingerbread Man you gotta go fast!

Edit: Oh my god *facepalm* He's called charming prince because he has 3 abilities; like a charm-spell.
Duh. Obviously a wordplay on Prince Charming as well. Couldn't be a more happy marriage of top down flavor, tongue in cheek reference, and MtG-specific slang :)

gadwickthewizened.jpg

Congrats to anyone who makes the blue variant of my black cube. Looks like we have a cycle of near-unplayables with CCC in the cost.

That said, one of the two main other cube ideas I kick around is color-slanted as well and I could potentially utilize most of this cycle. But basically no one else.

NOT REALLY SURE WHY THE BLUE ONE GOT MORE POWER THAN MINE DID THOUGH!

harmoniousarchon.jpg

Haven't seen this posted. Seems all-around really gross. 10/11 for 6 with guaranteed ETB value that you HAVE to remove or you can only ever go even in combat. Your 6 drops will die to this things' owner's tokens.

Most of the quadbrids are underwhelming so far. They're certainly a lot less powerful than the CCDD uncs from the most recent Ravnica block.
Just saw this. For sure. I think I have 3 of the 4 CCDDs in cube. Pretty sure I cut the blue one because hexproof and flying is pretty annoying and getting a 3/3 for 4 isn't very exciting for the caster, either. Really hoping to get some devotion out of these quads. The UW is pretty good, trades a P/T for a card. The RW is almost there. Then GW and UB are total misses.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
gadwickthewizened.jpg

Congrats to anyone who makes the blue variant of my black cube. Looks like we have a cycle of near-unplayables with CCC in the cost.

That said, one of the two main other cube ideas I kick around is color-slanted as well and I could potentially utilize most of this cycle. But basically no one else.

NOT REALLY SURE WHY THE BLUE ONE GOT MORE POWER THAN MINE DID THOUGH!

harmoniousarchon.jpg

Haven't seen this posted. Seems all-around really gross. 10/11 for 6 with guaranteed ETB value that you HAVE to remove or you can only ever go even in combat. Your 6 drops will die to this things' owner's tokens.

Just saw this. For sure. I think I have 3 of the 4 CCDDs in cube. Pretty sure I cut the blue one because hexproof and flying is pretty annoying and getting a 3/3 for 4 isn't very exciting for the caster, either. Really hoping to get some devotion out of these quads. The UW is pretty good, trades a P/T for a card. The RW is almost there. Then GW and UB are total misses.

I think it's a good thing that there's playable CCC cards in standard. Dominaria's CCC rares did a lot of good to vary up the metagame.

Harmonious Archon also buffs your opponent's creatures. It's a bucket load of stats, but not necessarily all on your side of the table.

And yeah, that was exactly how I evaluated the quadbrids.

I think it's a good thing that there's playable CCC cards in standard. Dominaria's CCC rares did a lot of good to vary up the metagame.

Harmonious Archon also buffs your opponent's creatures. It's a bucket load of stats, but not necessarily all on your side of the table.

True. I can see both CCCs so far having an impact on standard. They both doing something quite interesting. But cube is the only format that matters lol.

Ya, but the decks that are gonna use it will get the only creature on the board that can win a combat and will be built to take advantage of the effect, plus they have a 3 creature lead. I suppose it could backfire, but that just makes it unfun for a different player. I'd be more interested in a good Godhead of Awe. Hell, if this put everything else at 1/1, it wouldn't be a savage clock and it wouldn't have a horrible backfire. I'm not sure who this is fun for.

Kidnap the princess anyone person!

This might not be the experience others are having, but this spoiler season feels like what I'd imagine original innistrad must've felt like in terms of flavor and top-down design.

Why is he called Kenrith? I thought that was their surname. Is his name Kenrith Kenrith?
He's a lowborn from a village called Kenrith. He's only high king because he was able to become a knight in all 5 courts of Eldraine. His wife is a knight in 4 of the 5 courts, except for the red court.
#Just Book Things

en_rbvLMCAiZE.png
en_rEVUc6NIXz.png

Oh man! These one drops are sweet! Legitimate aggro artifact one drops!

I've got some nice interactions in (or lined up for) my cube, like...

I'm a happy camper :D
I really hate the puppet, but I love the brute. One of the first magic cards I designed by myself had an ability called "skateboarding" which meant that it couldn't be blocked except by creatures with haste or skateboarding.

It was a top-down Michael Hobbs from Elf :p.

You're at a ball with this guy. You can hobnob with the other nobles for information (scry 2). You can snack on the fancy treats (gain 3, same as Food). Or you can go out on the balcony and "dance."

The rare white 2 mana 2/2s in this set have more innuendo in them than the rest of white combined ;).

Kidnap the princess anyone person!

This might not be the experience others are having, but this spoiler season feels like what I'd imagine original innistrad must've felt like in terms of flavor and top-down design.

This set feels a lot more resonant than Innistrad in my opinion. I bet this is partially due to the fact that the trope space is being explored in one set as opposed to three, and the fact that it is harder to do a generic version of fairy-tales that still make sense.

I don't think anyone who is unfamiliar with The Fly understood Delver of Secrets as anything other than a mechanical design. Most people, however, will get the flavorful gist of stuff like Trapped in the Tower, Charming Prince, Giant Killer, and Midnight Clock without necessarily having heard the original tales in their entirety.

Maybe I'm completely wrong about this- I wasn't around during original ISD. I just remember hating Shadows. (Eldritch Moon was good though).

Speaking of Trapped in the Tower...
trappedinthetower.jpg

It's basically arrest for things that can't fly. I kind of like this...

So many cards spoiled today that care about Food - now I really want a dragon or ogre or something which has a line similar to: "Human creatures you control are Food in addition to their other types."

Unfortunately, the food subtype can only go onto Artifacts. The only reason GingerBrute is allowed the type is because he is an Artifact Creature.

That is a really cool idea thought... It's a shame it won't happen any time soon.

We could see an Atog which turns all of your artifacts into food. Call it Grogatog...

Opportunistic Dragon has a stupid name, but is otherwise pretty cool. It's a wild animal. Every wild animal takes every opportunity it can get or it will die. Just a nitpick, but the name should be focused on the kidnapping aspect more than the opportunity for a fucking dragon to overpower a 1/1 token or a small trinket.

Enviornmentally, what makes you want this over pacifism, given that fliers tend to be removal targets in the first place
Or Journey to Nowhere, for that matter
If you had a flyers theme, perhaps? It would thematically fit in your WU flyers deck and would also let them dodge a removal spell, if you felt they needed a very, very, very minor buff.

I'd jam this in if it were an instant, but I don't think I want to put one of these effects into the cube at sorcery speed. Maybe if I were running a 540+ Cube?
I'd jam this in if I ran a 540+ cube with a particularly large black section in an environment that really cares about the graveyard.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Is CT still the go-to site? Not one of the other ones I've seen around?
I'm honestly expecting CubeCobra to come out on top eventually, seeing all the buzz on their Discord channel. You know what's coming up in their next update? Custom image URLs. You have to host them off site somewhere, but I am sure going to try out my cube on CC once that feature is released into the wild!

Think I should just head straight to CC? I heard CT doesn't update very often and other irritating things.

Really loving the flavor of this set
I'm really hoping that knights are a playable archetype in cube now, so I can slam in this

Seems like a pretty powerful finisher, but it's fun seeing "okay" cards become interesting options for cube
(I'm sure somebody somewhere could also make a cube where the partner is also viable, I just don't know if I want meaty double-strike dragons flying around (or maybe I do...))

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Think I should just head straight to CC? I heard CT doesn't update very often and other irritating things.
I think CT is still the better site, currently, as it has had years of development time against CC's months. However, I don't see how a one man project on an outdated software stack is going to win out against an open source software project on an up to date software stack that already has multiple developers working on it. It will take time for CC to surpass CT. I don't know how much, but I can't see Ben keeping up, especially given the minimum of effort he has put into CT in the past two years.