Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

I assume it was mean to be a safety valve for the turbo fog deck from a season or two ago nobody plays anymore
I didn't notice, thanks for pointing it out. And yeah that makes it even worse.

For all the work Wizards puts into the game, one of the things that surprise me the most is how much they push certain cards and the metagame. Has it always been like this? I guess so (I know Goblin Piledriver was an anti-Psycheatog card) but I never noticed.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
There's a lot about it that works as just a "this is the thing knights get sent on quests to slay"
there's just also so much piled on top that it gets muddled

Alright, I've been gone all day with Skool so I can learn how to Science Goodly, but now i'm here so I can waste spend some time talking about previews!
Cards like this are the reason I don't attend prereleases.

But despite all my negative comments on this page, I'm in love with Eldraine and mostly positive about the spoilers so far.

It's hard to stay positive when the cards everyone is bringing up makes you want to gouge your eyes out. See: Me with M20.
Sidenote- I was kind of unfair to some of the Individual M20 cards. I stand by the fact that it was a terrible core set, but cards like Blood for Bones and Lotus Fields are actually kind of fun to play with.

onceuponatime.jpg

I want to put this in ramp decks. It makes it sooooooo much easier for decks to find their Llanowar Elves on turn one. In addition, the ability to go through about 15% of your remaining deck on turn one seems really powerful in any green deck. At it's worse, this is just a strictly better Seek the Wilds, which seems like an ok floor to me.

enchantedcarriage.jpg

Another card to add to my collection of "cards to use to sell my Girl friends on magic." My new ride is so flavorful, yet insanely simple. Is it weird I want pie now?

murderousrider.jpg

I'm glad I waited on buying more removal for my black section- this card is great! It's another Hero's Downfall with a 2/3 lifelink with relevant creature type(s!!!!) stapled on to it. I'd be surprised if this isn't one of the best cube cards in the set.

giantkiller.jpg

I'd put this in my cube. I already am fine with running Radiant's Judgement, and this has a decent tapper stapled on to it. This seems really good for the D&T style decks I want to try to make work since it's essentially a one-card silver bullet against ramp strategies. I'm not sure if it will see play long term, but I'm definitely going to test it if I open it.

joust.jpg

If my red section weren't so stacked, I'd play this. I have a soft spot for flavorful Savage Punch effects, and this just hits that sweet spot. Unfortunately, red is my tightest section of the cube and I just don't have room for weirdness like this. Maybe this is justification to build a second cube :p.

wickedguardian.jpg
wickedwolf.jpg

I'm very disappointed in both of these cards. These guys are so important to fairy tales, yet their cards are pretty lackluster. I guess not everything can be Lovestruck Beast...

questingbeast.jpg

I read this guy's description in the book and this is almost exactly what I pictured. The card isn't very whelming in my opinion, considering my other green 4s, but I don't dislike this. He's cool.

I didn't notice, thanks for pointing it out. And yeah that makes it even worse.

For all the work Wizards puts into the game, one of the things that surprise me the most is how much they push certain cards and the metagame. Has it always been like this? I guess so (I know Goblin Piledriver was an anti-Psycheatog card) but I never noticed.

Rampaging Ferocidon was printed as an anti-Copy Cat card. Then they banned the cat so the Ferocidon served no purpose and was itself banned until M20 made life gain too strong. Curse you m20!!

emrylurkeroftheloch.jpg

Emry, Lurker of the Loch
2U
Legendary Creature - Merfolk Wizard
This spell casts 1 less to cast for each artifact you control.

When Emry, Lurker of the Loch enters the battlefield, put the top four cards of your library into your graveyard.

T: Choose target artifact card in your graveyard. You may cast that card this turn.

So... this seems really sweet. Being able to re-cast artifacts from the graveyard is exactly what some U/R tempo based builds want to be doing. I'm sure there is some way to loop this infinitely with KCI. I'm most excited for how this allows U/G artifacts to meld with Dredge. This card has two separate components. First, it's part Satyr Wayfinder, so it helps stock the graveyard with stuff. Second, it's a mini Yawgmoth's Will for artifacts, essentially allowing players to use the artifacts in their graveyard as a second hand. I'm not sure I'm going to be actively making room for this since most of my artifact synergies come from tokens, but I can see this being really, really fun and worth the space. I might even test this over Sai, Master Thopterist since it plays in the same deck at the same cmc while also working with other archetypes. That said, I think my current suite of artifacts is more well-suited towards a Sai-style deck. Maybe now would be a good time to change up my artifact suite?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, I don't speak Chinese, but I believe the site that spoiled Emery also spoiled three green cards with adamant (i.e. that get better when you spend 3 or more green mana on them).

Also, I don't speak Chinese, but I believe the site that spoiled Emery also spoiled three green cards with adamant (i.e. that get better when you spend 3 or more green mana on them).
They are indeed green adamant cards, one of which has been named "Bear Suplex" by mythicspoiler :')

Chris Taylor

Contributor
robberoftherich.jpg

This looks odd at first, but robin hood is deff red, and deff an archer, so here we are
I like it! Also random side benifits for other rogues

Hm yeah maybe you’re right. Maybe I have confused myself a bit here because I have no issue with new Garruk.

55B07935-983C-4963-9EB3-9D67D48CB962.jpeg

Robin Hood is super sweet. It's like a red Gonti and playing it on curve in aggressive red decks is one way to keep the cards flowing until they shoot it down. Having other rogues would make it even sweeter, but that definitely feels like a cherry on top. It's definitely good enough to run on its own without any explicit rogue support. Seeing as it's a self-contained engine of sorts, it seems pretty tame. The most cube-able rogues I could find are:

Unfortunately there aren't many in R currently, but that could change by the end of this spoiler season.

worthyknight1.jpg

it's me I'm the guy who misread this as "cast a Human spell" and got real excited, but this might be for someone else!

I'm on mobile so it'll be quick but I have to post this guy
lochmereserpent.jpg

This is so good for the black cube. The gentle yard removal is exactly what I've been looking for, as "exile all" is too harsh for my environment and there's relatively few cards that have a mild yard disruption on them. The UB decks will happily mill this early, disable part of your yard, and cast this later with excess swamps. Really nice one. I just hope that FIVE cards doesn't prove to be too much.

The UB quadbrid fucking blows. I dislike hand reveals and it also doesn't do enough for 4. Further, I needed it to be a permanent for devotion. Oh well.