General Fight Club

Final Parting is the more interesting card IMO, as it's not limited to creatures and can be used as a normal tutor for a card you want in your hand.

but it can also set up neat GY stuff like spell recursion:

or set up a loam engine:

start a zombie removal chain:

etc. etc. It's probably not as interesting as gifts ungiven, but one of the more complex and nuanced cards in the entire game is a high bar to jump over

Yeah, you would have to go really deep on creatures with emblam/unearth/encore/scavenge and similar abilities to run them in cube and have them not be simple reanimation enablers I suppose.

Final Parting is the more interesting card IMO, as it's not limited to creatures and can be used as a normal tutor for a card you want in your hand.

but it can also set up neat GY stuff like spell recursion:

or set up a loam engine:

start a zombie removal chain:

etc. etc. It's probably not as interesting as gifts ungiven, but one of the more complex and nuanced cards in the entire game is a high bar to jump over

Yeah, Final Parting seems interesting - it only gives you half of the cards that Gifts gives you, but you have the advantage of being able to pick where each of the cards go.

Here are some other goofy combinations:

I tested Final Parting in my cube, but the problem is it's a five mana spell that doesn't affect the board.

The assumption would be you are custom-generating a situation that more than makes up for that, the same as any other draw spell or similar card that doesn't affect the board. And like any spell, if it's too slow for a particular environment, it won't be able to fit into that environment.

basically it being as you describe isn't an immediate condemnation of it's actual purpose or effect.

I really like the Judgment incarnations with these types of cards.

If I were to chose, I like the Final Parting better. It can bin a fatty and get you reanimation (essentially turning a 3 card combo into a single card). You can bin a sweet instant and use something like Torrential Gearhulk or The Mirari Conjecture. Emry Lurker of the Loch + random artifact. Demonic Embrace + beater.

It just smooths draws for GY decks a lot. However, 5 mana isn't trivial so your "combo" better have a strong impact!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
The assumption would be you are custom-generating a situation that more than makes up for that, the same as any other draw spell or similar card that doesn't affect the board. And like any spell, if it's too slow for a particular environment, it won't be able to fit into that environment.

basically it being as you describe isn't an immediate condemnation of it's actual purpose or effect.

I get that, but my format isn't particularly fast. I mean, you can win with Sandwurm Convergence in my cube. I really like the shenanigans you can get up to with Final Parting, but spending five mana to set up something cool on the next turn is still quite a big ask, especially because you're telegraphing half of your plan. Binning an Anger and searching up a big play for your next turn is great, but simply playing another threat on turn 5 often turned out to be a more correct play. At least in my testing experience. That said, if you just want to have fun, by all means, go for it, because it certainly was, even if it was suboptimal to include the card :)

My format is also pretty slow, and you can also win with Sandwurm convergence there. Just a higher focus put on non-midrange strategies I suppose. Decks that aren't just curving threat into threat into threat or answer into answer.

Reactions: dbs
(k)ongify is my choice for sure. The rapid hybridization token art is just a little creepy to me, so I prefer [relatively generic ape]
Mfi0LtJR7o4v-1RmGqH8aQRqZHP1DhxZJi2Byh_tFeQZrH_sIvaMWdZ3Wapw1h1BuocBAT5jmVbSgGImmrNC=s0-d

Low power battle: which of these black 3-drops with lifegain payoff would you gladly play in more decks?

blacks themes are:
Lifegain, Dredge, Ninjas/Evasion, Sacrifice, Blink and to some lesser degree Equipment and Tokens. Both aggro and control are also possible in more generic versions.

Silversmote Ghoul is, at best, something like Undead Gladiator. If something like that is an acceptable payoff, then that sounds good; however, the Aerialist ends games, whereas the Ghoul at best draws a card every turn at the cost of {3}{B}{B}. The Ghoul was pretty mediocre for me even in M21 draft, tbh.

I think I like Ethereal Forager the most out of that list. While the best case scenario is delving away four instants or sorceries, it's still pretty decent even if you only hit one card you can recur.

I like Dismissive Pyromancer way more. A bear is more serviceable than a 1/3 for the kinds of decks that would want these cards, it's a straight up rummager without timing restrictions, and it can be cashed in as a removal spell down the road to clear the way. It slots into more decks across the board and will be draftable in more archetypes than Channeler which is kind of mediocre unless it's in a spellslinger shell.

I found the one mana activation cost to feel burdensome on Pyro. It also felt like the decks that were looking to utilize the 2 power attacking weren't looking to tap their guy down for a rummage. It also was a pretty poor topdeck, which is fine for a 2 drop, but the 4 damage didn't come in too clutch on the fragile body. I cut it, but its value increases according to how well a bear performs in your format. It got outclassed pretty quickly for me and I didn't want to dedicate a mana to rummage every turn.

Currently have Channeler in the list, but haven't played it (nor do I own it) due to COVID. The idea of having an immediate 4/4 body as a topdeck seems good and the weird rummage is certainly interesting.

All that said, blue has better 2 mana looters and red has very effective looting spells. Totally possible that neither is right in a lot of places.

Channeler vs Pyromancer: I liked the Pyromancer in Limited, but good old Merfolk Looter is just better.
Channeler is not very interesting, I definitely like Kinetic Augur better.

Weaponize vs Munitions: I honestly never played Weaponize, 2 damage is way better than 1, but the cost is real.

I also have a fight:

vs vs