General Fight Club

yeah even in low power those are both… pretty bad.
Maybe Gigapede, Narcissism, or even Faadiyah Seer?
(i assume you’re already on Mongrel and Constrictor)

I swear pretty much this exact convo was had a bit ago (regarding discard outlets like these). Does the deck need a discard outlet at CMC 1? Both of these require mana to activate, so it's not like they allow a 2 mana madness the next turn.

Checking over scryfall, there really isn't anything better in the one or two slot. Mongrel and Constrictor are the discard outlets of choice here.

sheltem makes a good point, if you need to pivot with landfall the basic land shaper is better. however if you have go wide incentives like anthems and such, the elves shaper may be a better fit. but… they’re still both really bad

I thought Ravnic's Madness theme had less to do with using actual Madness cards and more to do with having cards that are better in your graveyard than your hand, like Honored Hydra?

Or am I misremembering?

I haven't played with these cards, but at a glance neither really seem worth running to me.

The abilities cost one mana, so you can't get much of a tempo boost out of powering out an earlier Arrogant Wurm (though it works ok with Roar of the Wurm). You also don't get much card advantage, because basic land or 1/1 are generally not worth a card in a long game, so turning a basic into something better doesn't happen here like in most looting effects.

In some situations they can be good, but the downside of drawing a 1/1 late, and the bad bodies are huge liabilities - it's basically card disadvantage. In your cube's power level, I would run Llanowar Mentor in a heavy elf deck, or a light elf/madness deck, but not outside of those conditions. I can't think of a situation in which I'd run Greenseeker. I'd test Mentor because maybe it plays better than it looks, but I'm not very optimistic about it.

Something about Greenseeker in TSP limited:
https://articles.starcitygames.com/premium/time-spiral-in-limited-green/

I swear pretty much this exact convo was had a bit ago (regarding discard outlets like these). Does the deck need a discard outlet at CMC 1? Both of these require mana to activate, so it's not like they allow a 2 mana madness the next turn.

Checking over scryfall, there really isn't anything better in the one or two slot. Mongrel and Constrictor are the discard outlets of choice here.
It even might be that I asked something similar before ... I'd just really want more discard outlets in green, but after the Mongrel brothers (one's actually a snake) you have quite a drop.

2 mana activation is rough when a main goal is also paying for a madness effect
this, regarding Stampede Driver

I thought Ravnic's Madness theme had less to do with using actual Madness cards and more to do with having cards that are better in your graveyard than your hand, like Honored Hydra?

Or am I misremembering?
Both. Actually, Arrogant Wurm is going in and out, so the only madness card with the actual keyword in my green section currently is Basking Rootwalla. It would be too narrow if you wouldn't include the Honored Hydras of this world too.

I haven't played with these cards, but at a glance neither really seem worth running to me.

The abilities cost one mana, so you can't get much of a tempo boost out of powering out an earlier Arrogant Wurm (though it works ok with Roar of the Wurm). You also don't get much card advantage, because basic land or 1/1 are generally not worth a card in a long game, so turning a basic into something better doesn't happen here like in most looting effects.

In some situations they can be good, but the downside of drawing a 1/1 late, and the bad bodies are huge liabilities - it's basically card disadvantage. In your cube's power level, I would run Llanowar Mentor in a heavy elf deck, or a light elf/madness deck, but not outside of those conditions. I can't think of a situation in which I'd run Greenseeker. I'd test Mentor because maybe it plays better than it looks, but I'm not very optimistic about it.

Something about Greenseeker in TSP limited:
https://articles.starcitygames.com/premium/time-spiral-in-limited-green/

You're probably right, but I just really want the Llanowar Elf tokens to be worth a card, so green can copy that awesome feeling of using a rummage/looting effect with madness.

It's mill one or draw a land but the mill allows for madness to maybe happen. The way it's worded reads really poorly for our brains because it mentions the discard (IMO) but it's mill 1 a tap with upsides.

Maybe if you had some GU top of deck stuff next to the RG Madness? It seems really cool if you hit it, but being uncontrollable makes "mill 1" seem like it's going to be quite common. I'm not sure, though. It could certainly warrant some testing. 0 mana to discard is big with Madness.

If the mill is worthwhile, not related to Madness, there's Millikin.

"much"

The repeated activation feature is one thing, but it combined with the difficult to remove permanent type really makes it spicy.

But it all comes down to what your decks can do with the card at the end of the day. Madness is obviously an option for you, not sure what other kinds of "trouble" your format could get into.

How much more dangerous is Survival of the Fittest compared to Fauna Shaman? I already run the latter and it's fine, but the unlimited activations per turn on an enchantment are scaring me ...

Night and day difference. Survival is nuts….it was crazy good back in the days before madness existed or six million other graveyard incentives were printed

Shaman is decent bordering on mediocre in comparison

Okay, thanks guys, I guess I'd rather cut a card that hasn't delivered instead of proxying a broken one that leads to unfun games.

I might give Llanowar Mentor a shot. In my lower powered environment the elves could actually be worth something close to a card, even later in the game.

I think Bronzehide is much more interesting. Not having hexroof ever, becoming an aura you have to attach to something and having to keep the mana open should all increase the agency there.

I'd personally go with Fleecemane. I just think it's a cleaner design, not really a fan of cards that return to the battlefield as something else ala Old-Growth Troll. Just prompts a lot of picking up and reading cards.

However, Hexproof is kinda wack on a solid midrange body though, but it really depends on other environmental offerings. Will this just run into a lot of defensive bodies on board keeping it from being oppressive? Is 5 mana a high cost to activate in your environment for your G/W decks? Is this a card for a lean GW deck or a midrange-y build? If it's working for you now, then I'd probably just stick with L'Oreal Lion.

I can't even read Bronzehide without falling asleep.

Fleecemane looks kind of annoying if the Monstrous cost isn't prohibitive for you.

They're both sort of boring, but I think that's where a lot of GW cards end up? If you had a cube link in your signature, I'd do more digging. Are you already running Qasali Pridemage?