General Fight Club

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I like you're thinking. I've been trying to gimp removal lately and run more voltron effects (equipment, bestow) and intimidate effects. I already run profane command, and it is pretty great.

How has Mogis' Marauder and chariot been? Marauder looks like one of those cards that really fluctuates in impact, and chariot turned me off because it doesn’t buff the little aggro creatures' power.

I've been on the fence about nim deathmantle for a long time. Is it fun? Or does it just take over games? The 4 equip cost really turns me off, and the inevitability it represents on a difficult to interact with permanent makes me nervous. Otherwise it looks about perfect, since it brings that effect outside of black to more colors.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I only run Herald of Torment at the moment, but then again I run hardly any saboteur effects. I think those are quite interesting though. Marauder especially is a card I want to make room for, but the 3-drop slot is sooo crowded in black. It's very good in black aggro though. Chariot occurred me as a nice card, because first strike and trample work so well together with deathtouch. Haven't tried it though, and I wish they had pushed it a little more. We need more equipment on the level of Bonesplitter and Grafted Wargear instead of underpowered stuff like Heartseeker and batshit insane stuff like Umezawa's Jitte. If Chariot gave +1/+0 in addition to those abilities I would have run it in a heartbeat.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
We need more equipment on the level of Bonesplitter and Grafted Wargear instead of underpowered stuff like Hearthseeker and batshit insane stuff like Umezawa's Jitte.

Once I figured out Bonesplitter was just about the perfect power level and mana cost for my cube, I went and upped it to three copies. After fiddling for months with the likes of Adventuring Gear and other underwhelming equipment, but having them not pan out, I'm finally happy with where the equipment is at. Triple Bonesplitter is one of the best changes I've introduced. Though I can't really take all the credit - Modern Masters probably planted the seed for this in my head.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
We need more equipment on the level of Bonesplitter and Grafted Wargear instead of underpowered stuff like Heartseeker and batshit insane stuff like Umezawa's Jitte. If Chariot gave +1/+0 in addition to those abilities I would have run it in a heartbeat.

I think its just really hard to hit that equipment sweet spot. My games tend to go longer (multiplayer ect. ect.) but I still have a very tempo driven format, and equip costs over 1 can be a real beating. I should probably just do what Eric did and run triple bonesplitter.

Right now, however, I have high hopes for the equipment that isn't equipment:

Power matrix was actually pretty good for me. Flying is a big word 'round these parts. Makes blocking and attacking pretty awkward for your opponent; they don't get the "kill your equipped guy, then combat stuff" tempo against power matrix.

But you can only use it once/"round" of course.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hmm... Made me think. Magic cards are 63x88mm, this means that roughly 180 of them are required to make up 1 square meter. I grabbed a pile of cards, and my kitchen scales puts 90 of them at about 157g, so I would probably put them at ~320gsm in paper weight. This is probably too heavy for regular folks like us to print on easily, but a copy shop can probably handle that relatively easily. Maybe I will put my adhesive paper on a scale at some stage to work out what thickness card stock I should use for backing.

I've printed straight on to magic cards that I rubbed the old card from. Was a bit of work, and I was a bit lazy so it didn't come out too well, but you get the right thickness.

Holy crap! This looks kinda awesome!

YES! I've currently just got paper on magic cards proper but my drafters don't notice. Printing straight on magic cards sounds awesome, but I haven't taken the leap because I don't have the stuff to clean cards for it.

I've seen that video series before and someone around my LGS had a few a while back, and they looked gorgeous.

http://zeerbe.blogspot.ca/ Anyone seen this guy? He has some really great work, and I'm currently using his duals fetches IIRC
Arid+Mesa.png
classic_0030_Layer-2.png

Edit: Turns out someone else made the duals I'm using, but his are pretty sweet too

Z's stuff is pretty neat, but I went with some full art duals, because why not. I think I use his full art fetches though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Battledriver has got to be the pick there, especially if you run a token subtheme. Siege-Gang Commander, attack for 16? I love Urabrask, but that 1 mana makes a lot of difference.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Holy crap! This looks kinda awesome!
Ok, don't use acetone guys. Use a small safety pin and carefully push against the top foil layer under an angle of approximately 45 degrees in one of the corners. The pin is above the card, but you're kinda pushing up, trying to get under the foil layer from above as it were. When the foil layer comes off, use a pincer to pull it off a bit more, then use pull it off very slowly with your hands, making sure the foil layer is folded back on itself. That worked a whole lot better then using acetone, which just makes the paper layer under the foil layer tear off way too easily.

I think I have around 30 blank cards now, ready for custom lands! As soon as the decal sheets arrive that is :)

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ok, don't use acetone guys. Use a small safety pin and carefully push against the top foil layer under an angle of approximately 45 degrees in one of the corners. The pin is above the card, but you're kinda pushing up, trying to get under the foil layer from above as it were. When the foil layer comes off, use a pincer to pull it off a bit more, then use pull it off very slowly with your hands, making sure the foil layer is folded back on itself. That worked a whole lot better then using acetone, which just makes the paper layer under the foil layer tear off way too easily.

I think I have around 30 blank cards now, ready for custom lands! As soon as the decal sheets arrive that is :)

I was doing this with acetone, but I was using the acetone to remove the ink. I wasn't peeling anything off, I was just scrubbing away until I had a blank foil. Nail polish remover works too. I never had much success with this whole thing, I couldn't really get the printing right.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh yeah, if you want foils, definitely use acetone! I dislike foils though, so I want blank cards. Apparently using window decals solves all of the printing problems. I am going to find out whether this is true!

Battledriver looks great on paper, but he was really inconsistent in my testing. Has he been good for you guys? I really wanted him to be good.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Battledriver looks great on paper, but he was really inconsistent in my testing. Has he been good for you guys? I really wanted him to be good.

Aha ok, I assumed this was all about printing foils and I skipped through the video. I assumed, like all good magic players, that I already knew everything.

The problems with window decals are getting the size right, getting them aligned right, and getting the color right. You have to print them darker, I think. As I said I never really got it right.

I guess I just have a thing for triggered abilities over EtB effects...

I mean I love some EtB creatures...but I dislike a critical mass of them. Feels better to earn something by doing a little more than just casting it successfully...