General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I hate the 3 toughness, but other than that the card is awesome. I already run Nekrataal, Braids and Desecration Demon though, and I have only so many spots. If I were to increase my cube size this card is definitely on the short list.

I hate the 3 toughness, but other than that the card is awesome. I already run Nekrataal, Braids and Desecration Demon though, and I have only so many spots. If I were to increase my cube size this card is definitely on the short list.

Why not cut Nekrataal or the demon? I personally played the demon and found him to be too swingy for my tastes. Either a do nothing card or the end of the game. More often just a do nothing, though. Sure he's hard to kill but there isn't much need to kill him if you have expendable elves/goblins/tokens/zombies/anything....I think as long as you aren't running a critical mass of undercosted 3-power beaters and bolts that the reaver is fine.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Nekrataal isn't coming out, since humans are a thing in junk colors. Desecration Demon is an awesome subgame in itself, I like that card. I guess if something has to come out it'll have to be him. When I or my players get bored of the demon I'll know what to reach for ;)

CML

Contributor
Well, maybe I will, if I can get that thing I linked to to work and actually produce some high quality proxies that don't tilt me whenever I see them. So far pulling of the foil layer of a card has been addictive, so much possibilities!

I'm thinking of adding custom fast lands with basic types instead of duals though, to slightly advantage the aggro decks.

good design for aggro:

CML

Contributor
desecration demon is super sweet. disciple of bolas is my favorite black 4. i think you can cut nekrataal if you have something like that at 4 already (Murderous Redcap)

desecration demon is super sweet. disciple of bolas is my favorite black 4. i think you can cut nekrataal if you have something like that at 4 already (Murderous Redcap)

Yea, Nekrataal is super-boring anyways. Plus, why would someone be compelled to play Junk humans? I'm curious as to what goes into that build....

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
good design for aggro:

Yup, those are a already in my cube and not going anywhere. I figured that, if I go through the trouble of making fake cards I might as well make up stuff. Adding basic land types to the fastlands nicely adheres to the current philosophy that nonbasics (apart from being nonbasic) should never be strictly better than basics. The ABU duals are, so I don't mind a slight downgrade, especially not one that inconveniences midrange and control a little more than aggro.

I run Skinrender (zombie) and Shriekmaw (evoke shenanigans), but not Murderous Redcap. Disciple of Bolas is actually a nice suggestion because he's human. Oh hey, I forgot about Skinrender. That's a 4-drop I could cut for Liliana's Reaver. But then Nekrataal has to stay. I like my Nekrataal though, it has killer flavor text: "You can't protect them all, Jace. -Vraska" Yeah, suck it Jace!

The human tribal cards are all in Junk!
And this! The human tribe has awesome support, and I want to make sure there's a bit of support in each of the colors. Red is a good secondary color because it's loaded with playable humans.

. I figured that, if I go through the trouble of making fake cards I might as well make up stuff.

This was my thought when I started proxying. Nobody has had a problem with either the proxies or custom cards. In fact, some people don't even realize they're custom

Alright, I think I'm finally willing to break. Having only allied fast lands irritates my OCD. Can someone link me to their awesome proxy images of enemy color fast lands?

On a similar matter, what are people's opinions on the fixing manlands?

Alright, I think I'm finally willing to break. Having only allied fast lands irritates my OCD. Can someone link me to their awesome proxy images of enemy color fast lands?

On a similar matter, what are people's opinions on the fixing manlands?
I really like those cards. I like playing control decks and I like playing decks that are resiliant to sweepers. I've also been finding more of a push toward playing 3 colour control in the couple of cubes I've been playing of late so having more Faerie Conclaves and especially ones that tap for 2 colours is pretty sweet when I'm reaching for removal or disruption.

The design of enemy colour man lands is something that has come up like a million times. I'm sure there is someone who's done a good job though!

Dom Harvey

Contributor
I don't like proxies, I also don't like not being able to play/design Cubes, and unless I'm willing to pony up a lot of money that's a choice I have to make. It's an easy one: play proxies.

Liliana's Reaver is the kind of effluent that the MODO Cube is full of

If someone has a way to make good proxies that don't look like crap and feel like Magic cards, I'm open to the idea. I'm open to pretty much any idea. But the proxies I've made on my printer and glued onto other magic cards look like shit and feel like shit. I'm not a fan. It's the ultimate cube unpimping move. And part of this is just putting together a really sweet looking collection of cards. I have a hard time taking pride in a cube that has inkjet printer cards glued onto real magic cards in it. It's fucking ghetto.

As far as not being able to play/design a cube without spending hundreds of dollars... that's complete bullocks. I can't believe some of you are even making that argument.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
If someone has a way to make good proxies that don't look like crap and feel like Magic cards, I'm open to the idea. I'm open to pretty much any idea. But the proxies I've made on my printer and glued onto other magic cards look like shit and feel like shit. I'm not a fan. It's the ultimate cube unpimping move. And part of this is just putting together a really sweet looking collection of cards. I have a hard time taking pride in a cube that has inkjet printer cards glued onto real magic cards in it. It's fucking ghetto.

Haha, pretty much this! :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm honestly shocked at how few of you guys care for Liliana's Reaver. It seems fine by me.
People nowadays aren't used to 4-mana creatures that aren't doing OP stuff right now anymore is all ;) seriously though, each time the Reaver connects, you get a 3-ish-mana effect for free and the body itself is on curve, you also get a good tribe thrown in for free. Problem is it's up against creatures with either a bigger body and evasion, or a good effect that doesn't require you to actually connect.

People nowadays aren't used to 4-mana creatures that aren't doing OP stuff right now anymore is all ;) seriously though, each time the Reaver connects, you get a 3-ish-mana effect for free and the body itself is on curve, you also get a good tribe thrown in for free. Problem is it's up against creatures with either a bigger body and evasion, or a good effect that doesn't require you to actually connect.

This is my issue. I think it's a fine card, but there is so much stuff I want to run at the 4 spot, I just can't ever justify a spot for him. I probably need to accept losing one of Nekrataal, Skinrender or Murderous Redcap (all doing similar things). But I just keep dodging that decision.

Reaver is bad when you are behind and doesn't really break open ground stalls when the game is fairly even. It's great at kicking your opponent when they have no blockers or removal spells I guess, but I don't think "good at making my opponent discard when they already have nothing relevant" is what I want to spend 4 mana on.

Not many 4 drop black creatures are helping if you're behind unless they're some iteration of Nekrataal. I think it's fine during ground stalls since it trades with anything & it gets better in a cube like FlowerSunRain's cube(where removal is slowed down & battle tricks feel relevant)