General Fight Club

What is the fight exactly? From these, I like Robber the most. Such a cool design. Ire Shaman is also sweet and adapts nicely to different power levels I assume. The Kobold looks weak, the Monkey is just stupid and shouldn't exist, period.

robber is pretty cool and strong.
monke reigns supreme in power ofc…
the other two are pretty bad cards if that’s what you need for a specific environment

As dumb as Ragavan has been in Constructed formats I don't think it's near as busted in cube and it mostly comes down to the difference in deck composition. The lack of 4x copies of a given card like in Constructed, especially cards that you can cast for real cheap ala Expressive Iteration and the like, greatly reduces its ability to value off and put your opponent behind in a big way. Unless you have a bunch of decks that do not play creatures in the early game, it is very easy to stonewall a Ragavan from doing anything. If you're able to accrue the Lotus Petals then it can definitely be powerful, but it's less oppressive due to the CMC composition of most cube decks where everything isn't just super cheap and efficient with tons of redundancy.

So I'd say it's definitely strong and a premier red one drop, especially left uncontested, but I don't think it's the menace it is in Constructed. Not even close. Like I've had games as the R/x Aggro player where I just couldn't make profitable attacks past something with 3+ toughness. Being on the draw against a green deck is actually the worst if you don't have a means of clearing a blocker.

I think it's the best of the listed options for sure and while Robber is strong, that's a lot of superfluous text to parse through and I'm just not interested in it. At least Ragavan is simple to grok with one read.

Am I the only one here that really likes Rosnakht? She's such a strong signpost for what your red section can do - go wide, pump creatures, make tokens - and you're equally happy with her in straight up aggro or aristocrats. She's not as powerful as any of the other three, nowhere near, but she's more elegant than all of them (I'm disqualifying Ragavan from elegant design despite being super flavourful because so many people I know forget that he exiles cards).

Last edited:
Nyx Weaver might've won his recent battle, but now there is an old rival approaching, challenging him once again.

Originally, I went for the 2/3 reach and the constant milling, but recently I've found that I was leaning too hard on repeatable effects and didn't give enough credit to impactful one-shot effects in cube design, for a while. And Salvage is exactly that. Fills the graveyard, almost get's you to threshold, replaces itself.

Which one do you like more? And why?

I had been thinking about mentioning Grisly Salvage or Drown in Filth, but didn't want to make assumptions about your list/preferences. Now you put one of them before me and... I still think I have to go with Nyx Weaver tbh. As for why? Well, it's a body with a relevant keyword (Gotta stem the bleeding if you want to grind things out after all), and it recurs any target. Sometimes you don't want to buy back a creature or a land, you want that Ancestral Recall (Because Nyx Weaver and Ancestral totally belong in the same cube list, don't @me) - but you get the point. If it was just the "recur any target" at about this power level, I'd be championing Treasured Find, but a reach body is pretty nice to have.

As far as low/mid-powered value Golgari card my favourite would be Baloth Null but that only recurs dudes and you mentioned having a sort-of-lands in bin deck so.

Last edited:
As far as low/mid-powered value Golgari card my favourite would be Baloth Null but that only recurs dudes and you mentioned having a sort-of-lands in bin deck so.

The baloth is really dope too, but, in addition to not really fitting into the loam deck, I'd prefer to have an enabler in this slot rather than a payoff, as the latter are so much more plentiful in the mono colors.

Looping for a card that supports artifacts and aristocrats (=makes tokens) in white. The environment does have some selfmill and 2x each fetch:
vs

Looping for a card that supports artifacts and aristocrats (=makes tokens) in white. The environment does have some selfmill and 2x each fetch:
vs
Shrine of Loyal Legions, no question.

It's by far the most successful token maker I've run. It's just a good card and fits all sorts of different decks and shells. Being an artifact, even if white-leaning, has a lot of benefits and I would never cut it from my list.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Shrine is fun (and good given enough time and/or spell velocity), but Countless Gears Renegade is a different card. By that I mean that CGR applies early pressure in the right (fetch heavy) deck.

I will include CGR and give Shrine a try. I played it in earlier cubes and it was quite strong. I wasn't the biggest fan of the ticking time bomb effect it had on some games. I am curious to see how it is gonna do on a more powerful environment.

As for Wizards not printing it because of repetitive play patterns... yeah, you're probably right. Which means that I'm going have to add "W&6 Emblem Cube" to my list of projects that I'll poke at at some point.
I love all of your ideas.
Quandrix Apprentice
I would highly suggest some Explore effects to go with the Apprentice. The synergy feels really sweet.
Perhaps with Retrace?

Your comment actually got me thinking about UG and the possibility of a land ramp/kand Animation Archetype with stuff like awaken, tatyova and the like :D