General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Disappointing. People in my usual group slam Cruel and go deep in grixis as soon as they see it. You need to draft Cruel control and 11-for-1 someone to teach them respect for the card.
Yeah, Cruel never wheels in my cube. One time we had to restart a draft because something went wrong with the picks, and when we revealed what we had drafted so far for kicks, there were three players in Grixis right next to each other :)

vs

I'm looking for a card to help signal a UW tempo deck in a lower power environment. There's a lot of playable auras and tricks in white, but I'm still leaning towards azorius guildmage. Has anyone had experience with her?

She was pretty slow back in Ravnica. I have not tried her in cube, but I'm not optimisitc.

What about Reflector Mage? That has been very good (and works in fast and slow builds actually). Or Spell Queller (the new delayed counter spirit) also looks very good and I think tempo will love playing that in response to a wrath.

She was pretty slow back in Ravnica. I have not tried her in cube, but I'm not optimisitc.

What about Reflector Mage? That has been very good (and works in fast and slow builds actually). Or Spell Queller (the new delayed counter spirit) also looks very good and I think tempo will love playing that in response to a wrath.

I'm already running lyev skyknight as my 3 drop, so I'm looking for a complement for that. So it's possible I'd run some other 3 drop over skyknight, but that still leaves the complementary not-3-drop slot.

I liked Skyknight, so good choice there. And totally understand the 3 CMC glut problem.

What about Ojutai's Command? It's versatile and it might not seem like a tempo card, it does well in that deck IMO. Lot's of nifty targets to hit with the creature clause, 4 life is sometimes relevant, and for all other occasions you can always cantrip. With how creature focused cube is these days, remove soul is good against almost every deck.

vs

I'm looking for a card to help signal a UW tempo deck in a lower power environment. There's a lot of playable auras and tricks in white, but I'm still leaning towards azorius guildmage. Has anyone had experience with her?

I've run Guildmage for a while, and so far she's pulled her weight. Shutting down planeswalkers is a big game, and she can eventually tap down multiple guys a turn. Meanwhile, I think I ran hoplite and was happy with him maybe once in Theros draft.

The power level is essentialy juiced up retail draft, so I think I'll go for the guildmage. White already has some tappers so that is in theme, too. Will keep the other 3s in mind though!

Yeah, and that's why I have Vault in now, but it's got more text for one effect than Charm does for three! Hearing that RBM has luck with charm makes me think that it's not much less useful...

Vault:
  • Helps with consistency for stuff like Living Death or other build-around strategies
  • Opens up better sequencing for multiple turns after the fact, potentially
  • Is wordy and cumbersome to use.
Charm:
  • More options. Tech plays like fatesealing your opponent or countering a big token spell are cool.
  • Synergy with GY
  • Less powerful effects overall
All in all, think they are actually pretty closely matched for cube happy times. Which makes for a frustrating versus...

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Doesn't Purp play a different role than the previous two though?
I do concede that Purp is a way more fun card.
Maybe? They're all about turning creatures into burn spells, though they play out a bit differently because Purph's trigger can't target creatures. It's hard to break the symmetry on Pandemonium though, and Warstorm Surge is super expensive, so if you want a "turn creatures into burn" card, I would go for Purphoros

Maybe? They're all about turning creatures into burn spells, though they play out a bit differently because Purph's trigger can't target creatures. It's hard to break the symmetry on Pandemonium though, and Warstorm Surge is super expensive, so if you want a "turn creatures into burn" card, I would go for Purphoros

I have a Beast tribal theme in G/R so I was trying to make it an incentive to cast big creatures to enable etb Ftk abilities. Purph can't do that.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I have a Beast tribal theme in G/R so I was trying to make it an incentive to cast big creatures to enable etb Ftk abilities. Purph can't do that.

Ah, well, I couldn't have known that :) Anyway, I'm not sure the two cards you listed are good incentives. I've never played with Warstorm Surge, so maybe it's better than it looks, but Pandemonium is a hard sell for me. You're asking a midrange deck that wants to be dropping large threats starting at, say, four mana to give up a full turn to put an enchantment into play that benefits your opponent first. If you're under any kind of pressure it's impossible to drop it, because your face will melt whenever your opponent plays another creature, and if you're ahead you are ahead anyway.