General Fight Club

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You're paying 5 in total but you don't play it on turn 5 the earliest, though.

True, but that does come at a cost of e.g. not being able to hold up a counterspell or cast an early cantrip. Just, be aware that Doomskar isn't a three mana wrath, it's a (potential) turn three wrath, is all I'm saying. Against aggressive decks a turn 3 wrath on the draw might be exactly what you want still, obviously.

For me it's Prankster.

I like the power level, and though it's somewhat wordy, it's not as many words as Anax.
If you're higher on power, I think Anax is the way to go.

Do you think Anax is actually higher in power? Prankster triggers on any creature dying: opponent's creatures, tokens, etc. A board wipe could easily be an 8 damage blast to the face.

Hm, the tokens aren't able to block, too, but I'd say yes, Anax is the higher powered card. A lot to the face is especially relevant if you close the game with it, while board presence usually is something you prefer during early and mid game. Also, while it happens that you have a sac outlet to sac everything into so Prankster deals damage to the face, that's at least some work you have to do for it, and those decks usually don't run any boardwipes since they're aggressive in nature.

those decks usually don't run any boardwipes since they're aggressive in nature.

The boardwipe would be the opponent's usually. Payback for them clearing the board. Anax would also leave behind tokens after a boardwipe, so I guess not much difference between the two in that regard.

I think Prankster is stronger actually. The damage stack up quickly and the biggest difference imo is, that the devil triggers from tokens dying. I think Anax is cooler/more fun however, but if you're high in power level, go with Prankster I'd say.

I have another red fight club:

I like the base body on the Dwarf much better, but I also think a slightly worse Griffin Guide is a much better alternative than the tiny pump effect on Rimrock Knight.

Hmm interesting one. Probably the Knight of those two? Being forced to attack each turn can be a major downside. Not super high on either one though.

Man, after looking at the options, they really shafted red with Bestow. Not even one rare red bestow creature and the ones they did make... are not great. Real shame.

The difference between Warhound and Griffin Guide is that it still enters as a 2/2 creature if the target gets shot in response.
I'd say it's a draw for me, both not super interesting, but not bad at all.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Rimrock Knight plays much better than it looks, it's a really excellent aggro drop! Mogis's Warhound is much worse, mandatory attacks are a really steep drawback.

The warhound is a cool find, but I think unless your cube has themes that would benefit from it, the flexibility of Rimrock's buff being instant speed and one mana (especially if you run Prowess or Heroic) gives it more play. I also think Rimrock's power level stacks up fairly well, because you can get both the buff and an extra body on the same turn for three mana. Also, there are still some ways for Bestowed creatures to get 2-for-1'd, like Pacifism effects, so if your white or blue sections run a lot of immobilizing Auras, it may get worse.

Hmm interesting one. Probably the Knight of those two? Being forced to attack each turn can be a major downside. Not super high on either one though.

Man, after looking at the options, they really shafted red with Bestow. Not even one rare red bestow creature and the ones they did make... are not great. Real shame.

Nah, flying on the aura and on the token is super relevant. Mogi's Warhound isn't terrible, but it's pretty different from Griffin Guide and not necessarily better.

Rimrock Knight plays much better than it looks, it's a really excellent aggro drop! Mogis's Warhound is much worse, mandatory attacks are a really steep drawback.

Yeah, that +2/+0 pump would be garbage in a card by itself, but when it comes with another 3/1 for 1R, it means you can trade up, then play another threat, maintaining card parity and gaining lots of tempo. I like Rimrock Knight a lot and didn't realize how good it was until playing it last month in Tinkerer's Cube.

Me too. I rarely hope for too many returning mechanics because I love new planes and new mechanics but I’ve been so in love with Eldraine ever since the first spoiler that I want more. I hope they bring back adventure in Dungeons and Dragons: Adventures in the Forgotten Realm (besides modal dual faced cards)

My favorite has to be this one. In fact, it has become one of my favorite magic cards in existence:

ELD-288-Order_of_Midnight____Alter_Fate2.png

I just hope we will get this very same showcase frame whenever they return adventures. Magic cards weren't so beautiful in 17 years, maybe ever, imho.

Which makes me happy to announce that I will go with Rimrock Knight for this slot.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Order of Midnight is pretty sweet, but my soul demands big Timmy creatures. Hence

49875f7a-31b9-4276-b971-8ead1e18fc81.jpg

BIG GIANT PLANTS BEANS!

FARMER DUDE SHAKES FISTS IMPOTENTLY, WHILE HIS WIFE WEEPS IN AWE!

EDIT: I'm sorry the image is massive, but it could not be otherwise.

GOOD! ALL SHALL PRAISE THE PRIMAL CALAMITY! THE BESTEST OF TIMMY CREATURES IN HIS OWN MODEST OPINION! HA! WHO AM I KIDDING! NOTHING IS MODEST ABOUT THE FINEST DINOSAUR WRECKING BALL THERE EVER WAS, ESPECIALLY NOT HIS OPINIONS! TREMBLE MORTALS, AND JOIN THE CULT OF CATASTROPHIES!

Okay, before we derail - well, actually I love it when we are derailing - but I have another fight club looking for a winner, and I can't really decide it alone right now:

I like the Lookout's cheap, splashable cost and that it is a creature itself, because the blue tempo decks really need some creatures. The Mission however has a higher ceiling. While the Lookout can never draw more than two cards and even more than one is highly unlikely, because even a saproling stonewalls it. Also, Drake Haven exists in my cube, even though that's just one card.

Which card is better? And which offers the more fun and challenging play patterns?

I think Reconnaissance Mission is stronger. If you start hitting with some tokens or fliers it snowballs, and when it looks like you can't, you cycle it away. Tandem Lookout might be best in specific environments, like if there aren't many tokens, or if your blue aggro deck can keep the board clear of defenders so it can get in as well AND removal does not deal easily with /1s.

I run Ongoing Investigation in that role, because it doesn't snowball quickly like Reconnaissance Mission does (or Bident of Thassa, which is the card I actually tested) since it's capped at 1 Clue per attack and requires paying 2 mana, so you have to choose between snowballing CA vs board position. With that spirit, I'd test Tandem Lookout rather than Reconnaissance Mission, though it might not be good enough.