General [Grid League] Penny Cube Grid League

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Ok, we finished our matches. Aston won two of the three matches, so he leads right now with 6 points, and I'm at 2 points.

Draining whelk is such a beating omg

I'll do more of a write up later, but this persecute happened :cool:

Screenshot_43.png

Edit: here was my deck

Screenshot_41.png

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think my favorite game of that was m2g1, where I tried to tempo you out by making you recast nightmare void over and over to keep me off of the rude awakening I kept on mancering back, while trying to close the game out with troll ascetic. That was a sweet line.

Basically, I had a BUG rampanimator deck, and his UB teachings flash (ninja flash?) deck was more consistent from being both 2 colors and having access to draw spells. So, theres one way to beat pelakka wurm decks.

It was really tough to play against, because all of the flash and ninjutsu made it tough to figure out what your strategy was. I feel like I could have played a little bit better in deciding when not to play around things, as sometimes that put me on the wrong plan. In particular that whelk, which is as brutal in combination with mystical teachings as it was during time spiral standard.

M3G1 is missing from the twitch recordings, but it can be summed up pretty easily via pics.

I mull to 5, with a do nothing hand, and than:

Screenshot_45.png

hmmm....this seems good

Than on his following turn he hits me with ink-eyes

Screenshot_47.png

Hello there voyager staff

which results in

Screenshot_46.png

I said way earlier on the Twitch that I thought it was strange you were Nameless Inversioning my golem token instead of just using the staff. Clearly I wasn't thinking enough turns in advance!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I considered the line of nameless inversion the splicer, flicker the token, body double the splicer, but assumed it wouldn't be good enough to win when I had mulled to five. My original strategy was pretty much delay the game out long enough to rude awakening and hope thats good enough, and taking 1 damage a turn from wing splicer is not bad at all.

I was really surprised you didn't dredge back the nightmare void there after I leaked it.

That game 1 was super interesting btw, with a lot of really nice plays on your end. I thought you were dead for sure after that persecute.

That devour flesh in response to my snap targeting sylvan ranger was really good. If that had resolved, my plan was to body double the pelakka wurm that turn. Than I have ranger in hand to discard to tortured existence in case something goes wrong.

Instead, you basically shut off my turn, and gave you time to nightmare void the body double, while I had no creatures to discard to TI to get back body double. If it wasn't for that line, I get back pelakka wurm a couple turns early, and am able to hit you with a big rude awakening, instead of having to spend it ramping out the wurm.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So I noticed that there were a couple of issues when I was watching Aston VOD (thanks for putting them up, they were a solid watch).
Aston forgot to export his wishlist before he traded, therefore there was no indication of what he took (other than 29 cards + the two missed later on). Did this have a detrimental effect during the trading back process? Was it all fixed up?

The other issue was the fact that two cads didn't make it through cloudshift. I checked out those two cards with my list and they worked fine, so I am not sure what was going on there. Might have to check it out with your pastebin link later Grillo.

All in all those were some fairly intense games and are getting me pumped for my first match (should hopefully be in the next couple of days :D)

Thanks, yeah I had forgotten that step but was able to recreate the trade back using the twitch vod.

If anyone has any feedback on my videos I'd love to hear it. I'm aware there's probably quite a bit of dead air at the moment when there's not much going on in the game. How was the drafting set up?

Edit: also yeah Grillo I think Nightmare Voiding Rude Awakening like 5 times in one game was probably my highlight.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
If anyone has any feedback on my videos I'd love to hear it. I'm aware there's probably quite a bit of dead air at the moment when there's not much going on in the game. How was the drafting set up?

Setup is pretty good. The fact you have two monitors makes it much nicer than my videos as you can't see OBS and other background processes. Draft was how I liked it, probably could have zoomed out on the riptide page a bit so you didn't have to keep scrolling to see the whole pack, but the half/half packs/spreadsheet I feel is the best way to show the draft. Commentary was good throughout the portion too, trying to predict Grillo's picks and explaining you choices.

I probably would have cut the stream during the trading process as there is a lot of dead air and not what people want to see (except me, as I wanted to see if you did it right, which you didn't :p). Games were good to watch, probably a bit too much dead air though. I have the same problem where you need to balance being entertaining and concentrating and playing well. We are too on the extreme of playing well, while I think Safra is more on the entertaining side (explains why she makes so many misplays :p).

Also, the mic was a bit soft. I turned it up then when the ping happened for the trade request it made me jump out of my chair. May need to pump up that mic volume.

7/10 would VOD again.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Not having the wishlist made the trade back awkward. Basically, I had to subtract out how many cards were missing, which mercifully matched up to how many cards he waa trading me. Otherwise I would have made him sit there while I went line by line down the excel and ticked off every card.

Also, if we don't want the chess clock to be an issue, we can just go the freeform tournament practice room and create the match there. You can set the clock to what you want, and make it where only buddies can join

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've said it a couple of times but I'd watch a lot more tournament coverage if they'd do wrestling-style colour commentary. ELSPETH, SUN'S CHAMPION is gonna SUPLEX EVERY BIG CREATURE OH MAN THIS IS UTTERLY DEVESTATING IS THERE ANY WAY FOR SHENHAR TO COME BACK NOW???
GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY! GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY! HE'S BEEN BROKEN IN HALF, WITH GOD AS MY WITNESS! WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE STOP THE DAMN MATCH?!

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
If you guys want to check in with me beforehand, I can try to arrange streaming commentary (maybe with a guest) for the matches / draft.
Meltyman and I will be doing our draft in 11 hours which is probably too short notice. I have a feeling we might be doing round two this weekend if you want to commentate. We'll just have to organise times between us all first.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Meltyman and I will be doing our draft in 11 hours which is probably too short notice. I have a feeling we might be doing round two this weekend if you want to commentate. We'll just have to organise times between us all first.

Sure, just send me a PM on the forums, then I'll get an email alert.

14120023.jpg
Meltyman 2 vs 1 Kirblinx-dude

Our decks were pretty close in power level.
Reclamation Sage and the Draining Whelk were the MVP against Kirby.

I only recorded the draft and the first match, because i somehow thought we only play one match.
My playing was really horrible in the first match, maybe because i was streaming the first time and speaking + playing was harder than i thought.

I try to download the stream i recorded somewhere.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
So who would of thought at the end of round 1 the two people who came up with this idea would be sitting on the bottom? :p

I think Melty and myself did way more hate drafting than usual people (I instigated it in pack 3 :D) and this was where my deck ended up.
HOW TO TRADE YOUR DRAGON:
NIHUMVz.png

I'll write up some of the more interesting plays later but here is the gist of the games...
Match 1:
Game 1: Moltensteel Dragon comes down turn 5 and gets a swing in then I Sulfurous Blast the board clean to hit for lethal next turn.
Game 2: A really long and grindy game where Darksteel Juggernaut and a Trading Post to protect it from Sever the Bloodline manage to finally do enough damage with 7 cards left in my library.
2-0

Match 2:
Game 1: I don't do anything until turn 4 and everything I play gets dealt with while a Golgari Brownscale and Briarhorn beat me down. I manage to get to a point where i have almost stabilised only to have my Dragon get Draining Whelked and I snap concede.
Game 2: Get rushed again and try and keep up. There is a point where I try and Brimstone Volley his Hooting Mandrills only for it to get Whelked. I can't find either Tumble or Rolling Thunder to deal with it and die.
0-2

Match 3:
Game 1: I get the early pressure on this time while Meltyman struggles with his mana and can't get double blue.
Game 2: I have a hand filled with Dragons and try and maneuver around a Draining Whelk, only for him to search it up with Teachings and I can't put anything big down in front of the Gurmag Angler without it being countered and getting beaten down in the air for way too much.
Game 3: I make a couple of play mistakes (Condescending him for 1+ the amount of untapped lands unaware he had a mana floating from the bounceland) and missing and end of turn Brimstone Volley on a Gurmag Angler. But he dealt with every single big threat I had, Trading Post, Moltensteel Dragon, Hellkite Igniter and still had gas to spare.
1-2

So Meltyman takes away the 6 points. I get a handy 3.

Here are my videos:
Drafting:
Match 1:
Match 2:
Match 3:
His BUG Flash build was all about trying your luck when he had mana open. He had so many things he could do at instant speed; counterspells (Exclude, Counterspell, Silumgar Sorcerer, Counterspell), creatures (Briarhorn, Horizon Chimera) and removal (Death Rattle) and the card to tie is all together. With that many options it was very hard to play around. Build was awesome and seemed to counteract my grindy control plan extremely well.
Games were all very interesting and it was nice that it all game down to the wire in the final game of the final match. I look forward to our rematch in the non-red draft.

I look forward to the next round. Too much Draining Whelk is bad for your health.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Updated the leaderboards.

Its kind of funny that both our matches followed a similar pattern: we both went with grindy builds, and were beat by mystical teachings based flash decks :eek:

I even went with the grindy G/B/x build that dominated our set, but teachings->whelk is so brutal.

I had a turn in our match where I made a similar mistake of trying to play around whelk, only to have aston EOT mystical for it. You really have to pick and choose what you are going to play around: very tough decks.

Also, if you want to show off your deck Melty, you can just take a screen shot of it on your PC, than upload it to a simple image upload site like this one.

Oh, btw.

Kirblinx asked me before Match 2 started, that if i wanted to make adjustments to my deck before we begin (or something like that).
I changed the wellspring out of my deck and swapped it for Reclamation Sage.
Was that wrong ?
I checked Kirblinx games and it luckily didn't matter, since i didn't play / have it in my hand in match 2 game 1 and i did play it in match 3 game 1, but i lost the next turn after that.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think we should probably all be on the same page for that. I think I would prefer that we keep the same build, as that adds sideboard strategy to both the draft and matches.

For example, with your matches, reclamation sage is very powerful, and the degree that you recognize that adds an interesting dynamic to drafting, deckbuilding, and SB strategy. There are a number of other cards whose value changes dramatically depending on the composition of the opposing deck (petravark).

Here is the actual drafting video:

I tried to upload the video from movie maker to youtube and it looks like crap.
If i make one of these videos again, i probably will just record, so i can make the video with a better resolution. My internet is too slow for the best resolution for live streaming.
Now it was 720p, but i'm not sure why it's worse in youtube, guess i figure it out when i have the time for that.