Sets Journey to Nyx Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
He's definitely much lower impact then inferno titan and the power curve on him is glacially slow. But, its clearly an accumulating advantage card and you can't cut your losses with a doom blade. As Jason pointed out it takes 3 untaps to outvalue prophetic bolt (which does it as an instant with better card selection!) so unless your cube can hit red/blue devotion regularly he's actually pretty weak in most circumstances.

That said, what I don't like about him isn't the power level, its the play pattern and an indestructible phyrexian arena that doesn't cost life is pretty strong if your games regularly go long.

Future Sight is the stronger card if you want something like this and if you are looking for a similar, but more muted version of that card Keranos might be good.

Maybe I'm underestimating the value of the "free bolts" as opposed to "free cards" though.

Free bolts are exceedingly good because you can control the board and also kill your opponent. It's best of both worlds really. A big reason people ran Isochron Scepter for so long was because you could slap lightning bolt on it (well, and counter spell which is probably even better).

Now, I agree that Keranos is lower impact than Inferno Titan, because he doesn't always bash for damage like Inferno (plus the card or bolt is not consistently what you might want). Either way, it's free CA and that is always good especially if the game goes long. Long story short, I think this card is very powerful and probably better than people are giving it credit for.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Free bolts are exceedingly good because you can control the board and also kill your opponent. It's best of both worlds really. A big reason people ran Isochron Scepter for so long was because you could slap lightning bolt on it (well, and counter spell which is probably even better).

Now, I agree that Keranos is lower impact than Inferno Titan, because he doesn't always bash for damage like Inferno (plus the card or bolt is not consistently what you might want). Either way, it's free CA and that is always good especially if the game goes long. Long story short, I think this card is very powerful and probably better than people are giving it credit for.

Fortunately, I have no interest in the card, so whether I'm right or completely, mind-numbingly wrong about Keranos it won't matter. Well, that is until a year later I realize that this is the exact effect needed for [insert the latest dumb theme I'm trying to jam] .

MORE GIANT SHEEP!!!

FSR, here's that Heroic creature you wanted... Conditional Hexproof is a lot more palatable than the static kind. What does his ability miss other than Wraths? Speaking of static, is Goblin Electromancer still worth a slot?

battlefieldthaumaturge.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
He's pretty interesting. I guess he's pretty blue. After looking at my list, his ability works with less cards then I first thought. Not sure how good the heroic trigger actually is, though. Most of the instants I would target him with already protect him. He's a definite to consider and is probably actually better in the role I'm looking for then the significantly funnier Sage of Hours. I had a feeling a slam dunk awesome blue heroic creature probably wouldn't happen, but we'll work with what we have. I could certainly be underrating this dude. The strive synergy is awesome.

I like that Rule of Law variant. Hmmmm.... I wonder if I can squeeze that in? Probably not as I don't think I'd run that over Wall of Omens and I'm not sure I want two of those effects in white. Need to think about it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Don't underestimate a horned turtle. My cube isn't the kind where rule of law would really be worth it, but Dat body is worth it sometimes

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Agreed! I never want a six drop in my aggro decks, but I can usually find room to squeeze in one or two fives. Not requiring two colours is huge, too. The ability to drop it down during your combat step after blocks are declared is a nice bonus, though I have no idea how relevant that part'll be.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Yeah, I think Dictate of Heliod is way better then collective blessing. The entire package just makes loosing some impact completely worth it. I just don't know if "better then a card I don't like" is worth that much and I'm still on the fence on supporting white devotion.

discipleofdeceit.jpg

its the blue fauna shaman

this is very interesting. i haven't decided yet if its good or bad. i am however excited that a UB card does something other than mill but disappointed that it still does something else from ravnica

i wonder what a cube w/ a heavy tapping/untapping matters theme would be like

i also wonder if inspired or tribute ties into the next block because they seem kind of out of place here