Sets [KLD] Kaladesh Spoilers Thread

The way "high society"is in the white part of the text box and "dark opportunity" is in the back one is so flavorful. Mimicks the art too.

Now I need the original fastland cycle. Too bad they've gone up so much, should've bought them at 2 bucks each... At least I opened Blackcleave Cliffs as a bulk rare at the time.

So energy seems reasonably poisonous, but vehicles seem okay (and god knows we needed artifact creatures). Kaladesh is looking great from a flavor perspective, and cool from the cube perspective. Looking back at Origins, it's obvious this was coming - the visual identity and flavor were already there, polished, because the concept of Kaladesh was ready!

CreHlAgVYAAMuXm.jpg:large

Panharmonicon 4
Artifact [Rare]
If an artifact or creature entering the battlefield causes a triggered ability you control to trigger, that ability triggers an additional time.
All who listen hear their own song, a unique melody played just for them.

And here I thought the Panharmonicon was what the guy on the left was playing here

maxresdefault.jpg

My prediction: Panharmonicon seems like a great concept, but is actually GRBS and format warping. Will create insane combos in modern and make standard boring. Might even be banned.

Demon of Shady Schemes
3BBB
Creature - Demon

Flying

When Demon of Shady Schemes enters the battlefield, all other creatures get -2/-2 until the end of turn.

Whenever another creature dies, gain E (one energy counter).

2B, pay EEEE: Put target creature card from a graveyard onto the battlefiend tapped under your control.

5/5

demonofshadyschemes.jpg

This strikes me as a fascinating card. I'm considering replacing massacre wurm in my cube with it. They do very similar things, and this guy gets to have the sweeper aspect without the 'hurr-dur I punished you with an instant loss for playing your deck properly' aspect. Do you guys think that the addition of the 'energy counter' minigame is too much of a complexity sacrifice for the benefits he has?

Reactions: yan
My prediction: Panharmonicon seems like it could be GRBS and format warping, creating insane combos in modern and making standard boring, but is actually unplayable jank like Strionic Resonator before it.

Yeah, last thing this game needs is more ways to abuse all the ETB value bullshit (at least in cube). I don't get it. I'm not even remotely tempted by this card.

In standard:

It's definitely stronger than Strionic Resonator, that delays your curve by 2 mana, which makes it unplayable jank. With this you can run the already decent ETB cards with not much compromise in card quality plus something that makes it go over the top.

livefast.jpg
dieyoung.jpg

Looking at these two side by side make me feel really sad for the Aetherborn.

Also I'm a fan of Massacre Demon, though energy is looking more and more inelegant with every complex card we've gotten so far. It just does not format well on cards, looks super clunky. I imagine it plays out pretty simply in the game, I just don't like it aesthetically.

Laz

Developer
I suppose you can proliferate energy counters?

I beleive so, and probably also experience counters. Thinking about what we have seen so far, between energy counters, fabricate, and a few references to generic +1/+1 counters, I would not be too surprised to see Proliferate's return. It is a sweet mechanic.

EDIT: According to Mark Rosewater, no returning mechanics in Kaladesh. Guess we will have to wait for Revenge of the Dwarves (which I will persist in using as my stand in for the second set of the block until someone corrects me).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Guess we will have to wait for Revenge of the Dwarves (which I will persist in using as my stand in for the second set of the block until someone corrects me).

It's actually Dwarves' Payback Time, set abbreviation DPT, happy to be of service!

I don't expect Panharmonicum to be particularly good, it's probably on par with Conjurer's Closet and worse than Mimic Vat. It's probably more boring than either of those as well. A safe pass for me.
I expect you are underestimating it at least a little bit. In EDH I think it's better than both the cards you mention by a good margin. Firstly, it's less mana investment. Secondly it triggers alllllll triggered abilities that are happening. Closet and Vat generally have to focus on one creature.
Don't know if it's busted (though it does help enable some gross combos), but it's definitely very, very strong.

Yeah, Panharmonicon is a pretty insane card in any format where you can afford to durdle for a turn. It's busted if you have any way to ramp it out ahead of schedule, but taking your whole 4th turn to play it on curve is not going to cut it in most cube games. T4-5 are usually the big action turns and unless you have an amazing follow-up play the next turn, it's not going to be as effective.

I am super excited to use it in my Karametra Enchantress EDH. So much value.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I expect you are underestimating it at least a little bit. In EDH I think it's better than both the cards you mention by a good margin. Firstly, it's less mana investment. Secondly it triggers alllllll triggered abilities that are happening. Closet and Vat generally have to focus on one creature.
Don't know if it's busted (though it does help enable some gross combos), but it's definitely very, very strong.

Well, this isn't an EDH forum, is it :p I was talking about cube. I think Vat and Closet are slightly better there. Vat can benefit from your opponent's creatures, and Closet has an immediate effect. Both can trigger your best etb effects repeatedly.

Well, this isn't an EDH forum, is it :p I was talking about cube. I think Vat and Closet are slightly better there. Vat can benefit from your opponent's creatures, and Closet has an immediate effect. Both can trigger your best etb effects repeatedly.
This may not be an EDH forum, but all formats can provide insights. And even in cube, I think this is the best of the three. You can shape your deck around it with zero effort, and it busts the entire blink deck straight in half. Getting two of each of your effects is better than waiting to repeat on one effect. Exception probably being if the format power level isn't very flat and you are winning more with a bomb. It's like, Wall of Omens -> Draw two + blade splicer -> two tokens, and that's on curve the turn after you play it! Next turn, Flickerwisp or Restoration both, drw 2 more, 2 more golems. Vat and Closet don't come close to that level of consistent degeneracy. Base level, every etb is a 3 for 1 now, not "just" a 2 for 1.

Which leads me to believe it is bad for cube, but for being too gross, not too weak.

Edit: Precursor Golem is also on curve. Hope you have removal for my 5 mana 15/15! I'm sure the list could go on. Getting the effects right away is so... ugh!

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This may not be an EDH forum, but all formats can provide insights. And even in cube, I think this is the best of the three. You can shape your deck around it with zero effort, and it busts the entire blink deck straight in half. Getting two of each of your effects is better than waiting to repeat on one effect. Exception probably being if the format power level isn't very flat and you are winning more with a bomb. It's like, Wall of Omens -> Draw two + blade splicer -> two tokens, and that's on curve the turn after you play it! Next turn, Flickerwisp or Restoration both, drw 2 more, 2 more golems. Vat and Closet don't come close to that level of consistent degeneracy. Base level, every etb is a 3 for 1 now, not "just" a 2 for 1.

Which leads me to believe it is bad for cube, but for being too gross, not too weak.

I agree. It seems very difficult to lose the game after resolving this. Certainly, any problems that you might run into by giving up a turn to resolve it are worth crafting your deck/game state to solve; you'll make up that lost tempo in a hurry.

Also, lets not forget you can curve this into thragtusk :rolleyes:

I'm just thinking something simple like Panharmonicum then T5 Shriekmaw or Karmic Guide. So much value, you might not even be able to use it all. That's how much value we are talking.

636085235982610940.jpeg

Weird. Is there any way to break the symmetry on this?

Obviously having a repeatable discard outlet would be the key to making this baby a real card selection machine, and if you're on Laboratory Maniac, this could be a handy win engine. I dig it a lot (I'm a sucker for do-nothing artifacts and the word "Orrery")

Re: Fastland cycle, I'm dreaming a dark dream of a cube with a manabase consisting of Fastland, 2x Bounceland, 2x Scryland. Or maybe toss some pains in there? Orrrr maybe 2x Fastland, 2x Bounceland, 1x Scry would be better. Hmm. I really like my current manabase, and I know changing it AT ALL would probably cause some massive format shifts, but I wonder what a manabase like that would do to a cube. Any thoughts, from those of you trying bounceland formats, about including fastlands (or just moving towards bouncelands more generally)? (Links to the best Grillo posts on the subject would also be appreciated since I know this has been his bread and butter)