Sets [KLD] Kaladesh Spoilers Thread

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
en_HpJJsK3R6H.png

You got emerge instead though, I thought you liked that mechanic?

I do agree though. Investigate is sweet, and it's a shame that they didn't explore it further.

The problem wasn't Emerge, it was Escalate. For the record, I LOVE escalate. But we could've gotten that in just about any set. In fact, if Amonkhet is going to be under Nicol Bolas, and Nicol Bolas is this ancient, brilliant, ruthless dragon, happy to use the weak as kindling for his grand schemes, then I think Escalate would probably work swell in that set. Thinking from a flavour perspective, who better to Escalate a spell's power than Nicol Bolas? Pouring more power into spells by tapping out creatures (drawing strength from your pawns), spending more mana (overloading your spells with all your strength), and discarding cards ("cheating" even more power into your spellwork by shoving all your thoughts into one ball of fierce magic); how does that not all feel very acceptable for a set centered around a scheming dragon?

And for the record, while I think Emerge is an interesting idea, I'd have gladly passed on it for more space to explore delirium (rather than that underwhelming, "here's a card that's too expensive that gets acceptably-costed-but-not-exciting if you trigger delirium" bullshit they phoned in).

Losing the "Human" typeline is a big deal, though. I could see making the swap, but if you're pushing human tribal, IDK if shaving off a {W} is worth it; that's already a pretty shaky package.

I think it might be. White has waaaaayyyyy too much WW1 going on at that CC. A splashable removal-on-a-stick dude I think is potentially good. Not sure the body is worth it over O-ring/Banishing Light though.

My experience with both Fiend Hunter and Banisher Priest is that a 2/2 is better on offense but that 2 toughness hurts a great deal. And the 1/3 blocks fine but in decks wanting to block, you generally have mass removal making this guy worse than cantrip walls. That said, it was always the WW in the cost that dropped these from making lists. Lots of light splashing white decks can use removal but none of them are stretching their mana WW for either of these two guys.

So I'm happy to see it and it might find it's way into a build, though I'm not 100% sure right now.

I think that card may be the real deal in White sol land decks like Vintage and Legacy W Eldrazi, and might make the nod in the new Legacy D&T build, which struggles to play its 1-of Banisher Priest. Not being a human will make it difficult to justify running but it might very well see Eternal play.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
renegadefreighter.jpg

Oh yeah you can block with vehicles....
(This does actually seem pretty good. Bears turning into juggernaut is a real upgrade, and my limited experience with skysovrein says that 3 is much harder than 2 to crew)

I really like the look of vehicles, and exited to test them out. So far I think that Smuggler's Copter and Cultivator Caravan are the best fit for my cube.

What I am interesting in figuring out is how well they work with aggro. Generally, I have been reading vehicles in a more aggressive capacity (as it gives a pseudo-haste), and forgot that there is a defensive capacity that they can be used in.

I'm a little nervous about vehicles honestly. Has anyone gotten in testing yet?

Here's my concern. The game has already really pushed creatures. Been doing that for years. And vehicles are just an extension of that. They really encourage you to just run as many bodies as you can. Vehicles (not being actual dudes) dodge wraths and they turn any late game 1 drop (that would normally be a near blank) into a serious hasty evasive threat.

Are creature based strategies really having problems in the modern game to where this type of thing is needed? I'm ranting a bit but that was an honest question here. Speaking from my cube experience only, I don't think aggressive decks need more help dominating slower strategies. Like at all.

So much of these newer cards come off to me like something akin to cocaine. Man, the high they promise is just super enticing right? But are they making this game more dynamic, more interesting? Or are they just driving non-creature based strategies to complete non-viability? I don't know but my spidey senses are tingling here. It's like the masterpiece series. Beautiful cards. But they are basically super epic mythic rares and going for $50 - $200 on the secondary market. Certainly going to sell extra packs and stuff, but is any of that making this a better game?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've got no problems with the Masterpiece series. The cards are completely optional, there are cheaper options available. Sure, those don't look as pimp as the special foils in this series, but, like, so what? All these do is give people with money a place to spend it, and lower the prices of regular cards for everyone else. Top notch move from WotC if you ask me.

Vehicles though, yeah, I'm a bit apprehensive as well. Basically you've got three ways to interact: instant speed creature removal, artifact removal, and creatures (to block with). Shooting down the crew won't often help you, as it's not that hard to summon another crewmember most of the time. Problem is, instant speed creature removal is curated in most of our environments, artifact removal is narrow, and creatures will have lower per mana stats than vehicles, forcing bad blocks a lot of the time. At least, those are my concerns on a theoretical level, I haven't actually playtested any of them.

I'm very very happy with the Masterpiece series. It's a cool thing if you open it, and it's going to cheapen the rest of the set if chase cards are reprinted each time. I'm all for being able to pick up my singles for cheaper, especially any foils.