Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

I've just never had any desire to play commander. Nothing about making a 100 card singleton deck appeals to me. But I hold no ill will towards though that do. I fully support casual magic formats.

Cast it without paying its mana cost is more likely, they hate using "the stack" on cards.

IIRC at the the SDCC panel they showed this and said it was how morph was flavored in the world- the clans using 'ancient dragon magic' to disguise themselves. Sounds/looks kinda dumb to me, to be honest. A WHOLE BUNCH OF FIREBALLS COLLIDE ON THE BATTLEFIELD
635424973114713443.jpg
It's not super common, but there are twenty or so cards that reference the stack.

Re: Loyal Cathar. Though what I suggested is very similar, it would create interesting gameplay since you don't know what you're killing. In Onslaught, the face-up effects always produced some positive effect, so your opponent is inclined to get rid of them immediately. Suppose it simply came back into play as a 3/3, however? It could give pause to your of opponent as to whether or not they should try to kill it.

I'm not sure what to think about the fireball-bodies...though it still seems like an improvement over brown clay blobs with legs.

In Onslaught, the face-up effects always produced some positive effect, so your opponent is inclined to get rid of them immediately.
There are a fair amount of vanilla/french vanilla morph guys that don't do anything, like ascending aven, spined basher and charging slateback. (I'm assuming by "face-up effect" you mean "when x is turned face-up do y," if you just mean they have some advantage a 2/2 doesn't have then you got me.)
Re: Loyal Cathar. Though what I suggested is very similar, it would create interesting gameplay since you don't know what you're killing. Suppose it simply came back into play as a 3/3, however? It could give pause to your of opponent as to whether or not they should try to kill it.

"Upside Scornful Egotist" I wouldn't really have a problem with it if there was a very specific way it had to die or something to make it a hate card or just not playable in every deck- what a nightmare the format would be if this card was just a power uncommon windmill slam.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Ahhhhh! Raid is such a cool mechanic! Do you think they'll do a tension raid-haste card?

But when I see it I'm reminded of cockroach commercials.

I think it's mildly weird that the flavor of being on a raid makes you play a guy after you attack, but when I think about it they're basically tagging along with the real raiding party and doing something besides the real fighting, so I guess it makes sense. That flavor seems like it would limit what the mechanic could produce, though. As a side note, the khan enables raid every turn; I wonder if other khans will do the same / play with their clan mechanic heavily.

Calling it now:
Pillaging Ricethief
{1}{W}
Human Warrior (or something)
2/1
Raid - Gain 4 life

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, raid seems awesome, both from a mechanics and a flavour perspective. Gotta hand it to them - they are the professionals for a reason. It's a lot less narrow then bloodthirst, which was a pretty decent mechanic itself.

That blue morph probably isn't cubeable, but I adore the callback to Mahamoti Djinn.

Woah it's like a cooler bloodthirst!
When I saw the dirt devil on mythic spoiler I thought it was an uncommon and I got really excited about the limited format.
I like the flavor though, anyone caught outside when it unmorphs is sucked up like cows in a twister.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Though a lot of his art is readily identifiable, not all of it is the same, and I actually quite like his art. Still fun to make fun of though :D

Rescue and temple are the two of those cards that aren't a product of type cast and heavy handed direction. Either this guy rarely goes out of his comfort zone or he's got the same nicolas cage problem where every director at this point is telling him to "Just act crazy".

Maybe it's more like the "next gen gaming" issue where everything was either cutesy and cell shaded or faux retro or unreal 3 shiny greys and yellows that looked like you were viewing it through the lens of an oil spill.

Give me these any day

Image.ashx

just did a google search for mirage magic cards and I immediately fell in love again.
Swanland's art, though visceral and dynamic reminds me a lot of having our favourite transformers all re-imagined as enormous walking junk heaps with shaky cam in the Michael Bay movies.