Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

jeskaielder.jpg
nomadoutpost.jpg
mysticmonastery.jpg

The UWR mechanic seems to be some kind of tempo-style oriented stuff, at first I thought it gave a +1/+1 counter and was super excited but now, eh. It's probably alright, very "Kiln Fiend"-y
We also "complete" the cycle from alara with some 3-color tapped lands.

CML

Contributor
Jeskai Elder looks fun. Trilands, oh my, now we can add all 10 to our cubes. Is that something we want to do?

i would add maybe around 4 to popular wedges for a ULD

i'm not sure I'd add any to the main cube. cipt on fixing yadda yadda and really if only one person is interested in them i'd rather just add more fetches

Laz

Developer

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That is cute, but I suspect that is a gesture that only the designer would see.
Oh for sure, but when you end up with one of those three cards, it's pretty convenient that there's a land in the utility land draft that supports your two main colors while also letting you splash that third color for your bomb.

Laz

Developer
Oh for sure, but when you end up with one of those three cards, it's pretty convenient that there's a land in the utility land draft that supports your two main colors while also letting you splash that third color for your bomb.

Oh, utility land draft, that makes the gesture far more overt. I run the Panoramas in my utility land draft. Every land that taps for multiple colours of mana is in the drafted part of the cube.

Salvation had a leak of some new equipment. The picture is really small and kinda crappy quality, but this is what it is:

Dragon Throne of Tarkir {4}

Legendary Artifact - Equipment

Equipped creature has defender and “{2} , {T} : Other creatures you control gain trample and get +X/+X until end of turn, where X is this creature’s power.”

Equip {3}

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
4 + 5 is not the same as 9, and while disruptable, a repeatable Overrun+ is pretty powerful. I don't think it's powerful enough in cube, but man, that effect...

This triland's flavor text was the first I saw that made me actually want to read flavor texts (I started just after alara)

The tri-lands are slam dunks among my players while city of brass has always largely been completely ignored. I really don't understand sometimes.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I think City of Brass has a very real cost; the fact that Mana Confluence is being used sparingly in Standard right now while painlands have been more widely adopted should attest to that. For cubes that are heavy on fetches and shocks especially, players quickly realize there's something of a hard limit as to how much damage you can take from your manabase. For what it's worth, City routinely goes unpicked from our utility pile over here, whereas Evolving Wilds is almost always taken, despite about half the decks being three colour.

And yeah, I'm aware that Jason claims that City is worthy of a spot in his main cube list, and is a fairly high pick. But we never agree on anything else either, so.

I think it's really depressing that it's an equipment for gameplay reasons, but they are really opening up what can be flavored as equipment.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On the one hand you're right, on the other hand... Try donning a throne and see if you can march across the battlefield! :p

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Soundclaw Mystic.jpg

Mystic Soundclaw {1}{G}
Creature - Human Shaman (R)
T: Add {G}, {U} or {R} to your mana pool.
Morph {2}
When Mystic Soundclaw is turned face-up, add {G}{U}{R} to your mana pool

That sounds pretty awesome! Four mana on turn 3, or six on turn 4, take your pick.

The unconventional order of mana symbols is also a nice touch, considering that this clan is based in green.