Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
That sounds pretty awesome! Four mana on turn 3, or six on turn 4, take your pick.

Wait, is it not just five mana on turn 4? T3: morph face down, T4: morph for {2}, netting {G}{U}{R} + two untapped lands. Am I missing something? Oh, you tap it after you morph. I see.... interesting design indeed.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Wait, is it not just five mana on turn 4? T3: morph face down, T4: morph for {2}, netting {G}{U}{R} + two untapped lands. Am I missing something? Oh, you tap it after you morph. I see.... interesting design indeed.

Holy crap, this card already sounds confusing as hell. Is it a common...? I can't make out the expansion symbol colour in that picture.

edit: Okay, rare. Phew.

Honestly I think it sounds like a really fun card. I dont know how strong it is but I think other boards have given it a harder time than it deserves. Comparing it to sylvan caryatid or noble hierarch sounds unfair because this still attacks for 2 whenever you're not tapping for mana. This is a kind of green aggro card that lets you get away with running slightly fewer lands, and it also lets you just turbo out t4 wurmcoils or whatever. The dualism really appeals me.

When I first saw this earlier today I was really dismissive of this, but the more I think about this the better card I think it is, or at least it provides a lot of interesting decisions

Do you play it straight out and start accelerating or attacking right away?
Does it encourage you to splash a third colour in your g/r or g/u deck?
Do you hold off making it early and morph it instead so you can have that slight extra burst of mana to make your fattie a turn earlier?
Do you run it out 'just' as a morph and bluff it as something else?
Do you play it off colour in your black white deck and ramp out a fattie that was totally unexpected?

This seems like a really interesting card to have in your cube, gives me a lot more faith for morph in this set.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I don't get the negativity either. Its three color fixing and acceleration that can be slotted into any deck due to the colorless morph cost. The fact that it has a useful 2cc ability is also great, because it helps avoid the morph problem of having a format oversaturated by 3cc plays. I really like the aggressive stats, and choices it offers; it’s always great to have the option to run cards that support more varied ramp strategies. Perhaps it's not efficient enough for constructed, but it seems reasonable in a lot of other environments.

Does that also mean BTE gets super mega better?
Thanks for the reminder though, gotta find room for those guys in my peasant list!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I gotta say, with this and Generator Servant and maybe others, it feels like Wizards is high on these "delayed Dark Ritual on a stick" cards lately, not that I'm complaining.

CML

Contributor
I gotta say, with this and Generator Servant and maybe others, it feels like Wizards is high on these "delayed Dark Ritual on a stick" cards lately, not that I'm complaining.

real question after some amount of m15 limited: is generator servant a magic card or are we all just running goblin piker in our cubes

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I love it so much! First card I've been excited about in a while. 2/1 for 2, great abilities, decisions, and it's human! It's exactly what I wanted!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
In the little I've seen of M15 Limited, Generator Servant has been absurd. One player played a Turn 3 Soul of Red Place with it.

Generator servant is cool. My newbie group's reaction to someone asking "can you spend only one of the mana on two different things?" was priceless. (I pile up all the adds/removals for them when I 'rotate' cards so they can be a little familiar with them)

That said while I'm not exactly excited by this guy I realize it's not bad- like sylvan caryatid. Wait... this guy is the buy-a-box promo... 2CMC rare mana dork confirmed for large sets' buy-a-box for the rest of time.

I care not for anyone's sour words on this fellow. He's good and looking at him makes me feel good. I already had Temur slotted as my clan of choice. This helps me feel a lot more comfortable with my decision.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I just think the Alara names worked really well because they matched the colors so well. Like, I think you could give an experienced player (if Alara weren't in existence) the 5 alara shard names and they would match it to the proper shard with high probability. I do not feel the same for the wedges.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I just think the Alara names worked really well because they matched the colors so well. Like, I think you could give an experienced player (if Alara weren't in existence) the 5 alara shard names and they would match it to the proper shard with high probability. I do not feel the same for the wedges.

Then again we arent used to them yet

I liked the Alara names because they sound extremely fantasy. These names sound like they're from central Asia, and I don't want my real life in my magic.

ivoryruskfortress.jpg

Speaking of the forementioned +1/+1 counter theme. Not necessarily something slotted into the cube but it's still a 5/7 for 5. Possibly we'll get more counters from junk

How did they shit the bed so bad on the clan names? Mardu, Abzan, and Temur are just sooo clunky sounding. I guess Sultai and Jeskai aren't bad, but like Jason said, it's hard to distinguish them. I also think part of the problem is that the wedges already have sweet names that roll off the tongue easier. Rug, Bug, Junk just sound better.