Sets (LCI & REX) Lost Caverns of Ixalan and Jurassic Park spoilers

Cenote Scout and Deep-Cavern Bat are nice.

This looks intriguing:
1698267278207.png

Transforms into:
The Tomb of Aclazotz
Legendary Land - Cave
T: Add B
T: You may cast a creature spell from your graveyard this turn. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a finality counter on it and is a Vampire in addition to its other types

Cenote Scout and Deep-Cavern Bat are nice.

This looks intriguing:
View attachment 8954

Transforms into:
The Tomb of Aclazotz
Legendary Land - Cave
T: Add B
T: You may cast a creature spell from your graveyard this turn. If you do, it enters the battlefield with a finality counter on it and is a Vampire in addition to its other types
I say this about basically every card now but damn does this look like a sweet Samwise Gamgee card!

Funnily enough, one of the cards I'm currently the most interested in is

preacheroftheschism.jpg

I've been fiddling with a Mardu Vampires vs. Humans cube (with some sneaky class tribal stuff in there as well), and I like having three-drop black lords/signposts for the various themes (the other two I'm currently including are Exsanguinator Cavalry and Markov Baron)

Turns out that printing tokens on bad cards makes them very forgettable!
I was ready to go to the barricades to defend Bat Whisperer as something memorable enough that I knew it existed!

...but uh. I had to confirm that was actually its name first.

(also, they literally printed a Skeletal Vampire bat token thanks to those weird "Guild Kit" precons)

also here's a spoiler:
stalactitestalker.jpg

it's like Narnam Renegade, but totally different, but I'm at least slightly interested in what is functionally "revolt: 2/2 for B." with many upsides.

That guy is much stronger than people seem to give it credit for yet. It will see constructed play in some way I'd guess, and it will be a powerhouse in most cubes too. It's much better than descend, because it also grows when you discard a permanent or mill it.

That guy is much stronger than people seem to give it credit for yet. It will see constructed play in some way I'd guess, and it will be a powerhouse in most cubes too. It's much better than descend, because it also grows when you discard a permanent or mill it.
The descend goblin, right? I think he seems pretty decent as well, at least when drawn early.

All this descend is a bit confusing to me.

Descend X: Threshold Spell Mastery variant but for X permanents in your graveyard.

Descended: If you have put a permanent card into your graveyard this turn.

Fathomless Descend: Count the amount of permanents in your graveyard and do something with that number.

Did I get them right?

amaliabenavidesaguirre.jpg

Amalia Benavides Aguirre - {W}{B}
Legendary Creature - Vampire Scout
Ward — Pay 3 life
Whenever you gain life, ~ explores. Then, destroy each other creature if its power is exactly 20.
2/2

---

T2 This thing, T3 Wildgrowth Walker + Tamiyo's Safekeeping, swing in for an arbitrarily large amount of damage after wiping the board and gaining an arbitrary amount of life?

Today we got a {3}{G} 6/6 with heavy upside and a {2}{G} 6/6 with a marginal downside. I guess it sells packs if we just keep increasing the stats ...

Most interesting spoiler for me:

1698353853149.png

bedrocktortoise.jpg

We might be able to draft a full toughness matters theme someday... Card is a cool beater. Not having trample or something makes it manageable.

confoundingriddle.jpg

THE REST INTO YOUR GRAVEYARD?! Versatile card for sure.

whispersilkcloak.jpg

Dig the art.

pitofoffering.jpg

Pit of Offering
Land - Cave
Pit of Offering enters the battlefield tapped.
When Pit of Offering enters the battlefield, exile up to three target cards from graveyards.
T: Add C.
T: Add one mana of any color among the exiled cards.

That's kinda sweet. Bojuka Bog meets Exotic Orchard meets Corrupted Grafstone.

terrortide.jpg

This feels right.

sunkencitadel.jpg

Sunken Citadel
Land - Cave
Sunken Citadel enters the battlefield tapped.
As Sunken Citadel enters the battlefield, choose a color.
T: Add 1 mana of the chosen color.
T: Add two mana of the chosen color. This mana can only be used for activated abilities of a land source.

This is probably something somehow. I can imagine a cube that runs multiples being interesting.

wanderingthrone.jpg

Artifact Creature - Golem
As Wandering Throne enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
Wandering Throne is the chosen type in addition to its other types.
If a triggered ability of another creature of the chosen type you control triggers, it triggers an additional time.

I assume this missed Ward 2 in the text. Sweet tribal card with respectable stats. And colorless!

thethousandyearcalendar.jpg

Legendary Artifact
Whenever one or more permanents become untapped during your untap step, put that amount of time counters on The Thousand Year Calendar.
2, T: Double the amount of time counters on The Thousand Year Calendar.
When there are 1000 or more time counters on The Thousand Year Calendar, sacrifice it and each opponent loses 1000 life.

Really fun and a little playable for cube in the right environment.

I am not immune to loving cards with big stupid numbers on them. No idea how you make the big calendar playable but definitely one of those cards that makes you wanna build an environment just to see it do it's thing.

I am not immune to loving cards with big stupid numbers on them. No idea how you make the big calendar playable but definitely one of those cards that makes you wanna build an environment just to see it do it's thing.
It is much less activations than you think.
After casting it you u tap the land used to cast it: 1 counter.
Next turn activate 1: 2
Untap 2 lands and clock: 5
Activate 2: 10
Untap:13
Activate 3: 26
Untap: 29
Activate 4: 58
Untap: 61
Activate 5: 122
Untap: 125
Acivate 6: 250
Untap : 253
Activate 8: 506
Untap: 509
Activate 9: 1018
This is all assuming you did nothing but activate the clock. The question is how much artifact removal do you have in your cube.

A note on this set:

Just like we saw with The Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle Earth the wide art cards keep their flavor text. This is new for Standard and only the second time they're doing this. I imagine this will be the norm going forward.

1698415470833.png

Whenever you attack, you may discard a card. When you do, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature. That creature gains trample until end of turn.
Whenever you discard one or more cards, exile the top card of your library. You may play that card until your next end step.

I think it might be too good for me, sadly, with the second effect on top, but damn that's a great aggro madness card.