General "Looking for a card"-Thread

You might be better at making sure there are few single pip cards in black so it's harder to splash. You might then need to extend that to GW, but that might be easier said than done as it's quite a strict design constraint. You could also make the black cards require a lot of black mana or swamps.

Or only provide GW duals but no black-x duals?

Filter lands are one of the best at supporting specifically 2 colors IMO, since they require another on-color-pair land to function
I had this and the signet land for GW, but was worried that all 3 Abzan ones would allow A -> CC too easily and undermine the possibility of running additional pips as an inhibitor.

I had this and the signet land for GW, but was worried that all 3 Abzan ones would allow A -> CC too easily and undermine the possibility of running additional pips as an inhibitor.
I think that the lands will probably have to be asymmetrical if you aren't totally leaving out B-adjacent fixing. These filtering lands directly in GW, other types of lands that aren't as effective at bridging the gap in the other combinations.

Largely I agree with others above that the structure of the nonlands will help immensely with guiding the drafters, as nonlands are the primary drivers in draft etc.

Oh it's gonna have to be asymmetrical, for sure. Probably UB=BR, WB=BG, GW, other 5 same.

I've been messing with it. There's some good AABB cards in the Abzan pairs to try and keep them separated.

May end up not being worth it, but I'm glad I'm exploring it.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

997bc933-ac30-477b-a4e1-5333b796a99d.jpg

Currently not pleased with

but not entirely sure what I want to swap in. I think I'm looking for a piece that can support my UWx tempo style decks; I think my blue and other colors already offer plentiful spell recursion as-is. Pretty sure I want it to be a non creature spell of some sort... any ideas?

Currently not pleased with

but not entirely sure what I want to swap in. I think I'm looking for a piece that can support my UWx tempo style decks; I think my blue and other colors already offer plentiful spell recursion as-is. Pretty sure I want it to be a non creature spell of some sort... any ideas?
I like:

It fills that nice space where it can be both a good late-game draw spell for reactive strategies, while also being able to come down and cycle early to help smooth a draw. None of that even mentions the fact that this fits well with discard synergies.

What do you think about good old ?
I don't like this card as much as I used to or as much as the larger Cube community seems to currently. This card is simultaneously very punishing to players who don't know how to properly split the piles and increasingly becoming too slow as the average creature deck becomes faster and faster. I think this is a fun card for very high level (as in close to professional level) players in slightly clunkier environments like the in-house MTGO Cubes, but I think better options exist from almost every standpoint.

Inscription of Insight draws me in because modes. And because it is a very tempo oriented card, clearing blockers or adding to a board state flexibly.

Heiroglyphic Illumination also draws me in because modes... sigh.

With FoF, I basically feel like this:
very punishing to players who don't know how to properly split the piles
Which can make it act much better than it "should".

hrmmmm

Why not run both? They're very similar effects.
If I want more of that particular effect, which is definitely a possibility, I would just run two Scours.

EDIT: and let me just say that I think the platonic ideal cantrip for my format, and probably several others out there is "surveil 1, then draw a card". I would toss aside Scour in a heartbeat for a couple of that bad boi. Maybe one day.

Last edited: