General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm not convinced there's any science to support this.
cc4.gif

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for blue or white permanents that:
- produce a trigger when one of your permanents is targeted
- produce a trigger whenever an opponent casts a spell

landofMordor

Administrator
What are your favorite high-powered, fair mana sinks? Especially looking for nonland mana sinks, since creaturelands, Castles, Treetop Village, etc are all on my radar already.

Doesn’t really sympathize with what azorius does in my cube. It’s the most creature light of all the guilds
K. Was curious because I could imagine running it as an "Esper" slot in mine. Haven't played any nonblack 2C cards yet, but some of those tricolor combos are rather shallow at my power level. Lot of the 3C cards are either clunky un/commons or pushed rares/mythics.

landofMordor

Administrator
Doesn’t really sympathize with what azorius does in my cube. It’s the most creature light of all the guilds
Unless you're tightly allocating "guild slots", I'm not sure it matters too much. In a slower, less tempo-heavy environment (which iirc, your grave combo cube is?) it's not too punishing to play 1 Wastes with upside. Moreover, it's incredibly easy to splash W in, say, a UG creature-heavy deck off a few dual lands and then turn this on incidentally. And, once it's turned on, the upside is pretty huge, converting dead draws into 3-mana 1/1 fliers.

So there's very little opportunity cost (again, unless you have created opportunity cost in allocating slots).

I'm not really a fan of splashing just for a gold card that then makes your mana worse. If we want to exile stuff from graveyards, I find Hostile Desert works much more easily.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
To me the question is 'how many creatures do you need your land to create to be worth it'. You can run a pretty creature-light deck and still make several tokens from the land.

landofMordor

Administrator
I'm not really a fan of splashing just for a gold card that then makes your mana worse. If we want to exile stuff from graveyards, I find Hostile Desert works much more easily.
I dunno -- the fail case on both cards is Wastes. That's not "good", per se -- I wouldn't want it in one of my cube's Omnath piles -- but for a slow cube where decks are typically 2 colors and maybe a light splash, and the spells themselves are often more expensive so that they contain multiple lands' worth of generic mana requirement, a single Wastes isn't a big cost.

(Not to mention, specifically Hostile Desert still asks for an A+B synergy, but instead of B="have UW mana", it's B="have land in grave".)

To me the question is 'how many creatures do you need your land to create to be worth it'. You can run a pretty creature-light deck and still make several tokens from the land.
I do agree that creature-light decks can still utilize the Haunt, but I'm not sure I ever want to sink mana into my lands as Plan A. So, Zero is the number I want my land to make, and thus the question for me becomes "how efficiently can I sink mana into my lands, how will that help me claw my way out of a board stall, and how hard must I work to enable that mana sink?"

For example, see the attached p4p1 (if the file upload worked....), which includes Mystic Sanctuary as a "ETB 0-1 mana Reclaim for spells" on an Island. If the win% that adds to my deck is higher than upgrading my 23rd playable into Grist (or my 13-16th fixing land into Badlands), then I'll tend to pick Sanctuary. I'll also lean towards Sanctuary if the value of replacement is high (ie, if utility lands are much scarcer than 3mv threats or ABUR lands in draft).

TL;DR: I'll deckbuild around utility lands insofar as I know Magic contains luck and I need a resilient backup plan, but it'll never be Plan A.

(Not to mention, specifically Hostile Desert still asks for an A+B synergy, but instead of B="have UW mana", it's B="have land in grave".)
Moors, with this logic, has A+B+C (A = it, B = UW, C = Creature in grave)

I just think there are more impactful and/or evocative things you can do with a UW inclusion. And I doubt I would generally want to splash just for it because of the issue with it being a wastes that asks for further stress on the manabase.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I dunno -- the fail case on both cards is Wastes. That's not "good", per se -- I wouldn't want it in one of my cube's Omnath piles -- but for a slow cube where decks are typically 2 colors and maybe a light splash, and the spells themselves are often more expensive so that they contain multiple lands' worth of generic mana requirement, a single Wastes isn't a big cost.

I do agree that creature-light decks can still utilize the Haunt, but I'm not sure I ever want to sink mana into my lands as Plan A. So, Zero is the number I want my land to make, and thus the question for me becomes "how efficiently can I sink mana into my lands, how will that help me claw my way out of a board stall, and how hard must I work to enable that mana sink?"

For example, see the attached p4p1 (if the file upload worked....), which includes Mystic Sanctuary as a "ETB 0-1 mana Reclaim for spells" on an Island. If the win% that adds to my deck is higher than upgrading my 23rd playable into Grist (or my 13-16th fixing land into Badlands), then I'll tend to pick Sanctuary. I'll also lean towards Sanctuary if the value of replacement is high (ie, if utility lands are much scarcer than 3mv threats or ABUR lands in draft).

TL;DR: I'll deckbuild around utility lands insofar as I know Magic contains luck and I need a resilient backup plan, but it'll never be Plan A.
I mostly agree, but I've also 3-0d with decks whose entire game plan was Primeval Titan into Volrath's Stronghold, or full control decks that mostly win off of Nephalia Drownyard in lieu of developing their own threats.