Card/Deck Low Power Card Spotlight

I should have included the words "for me" in there. Years definitely go by faster as one gets older.

This guy is pretty fun. He was good for me at the Amonkhet prerelease. Seems better than Roar of the Wurm, save for in cubes with Instants/Sorceries matter themes. Personally I'd rather have the Hydra since it synergizes slightly better with greens card advantage effects (i.e. looking at the top of your deck for Creatures or Lands. What do you all think?

Just keep in mind how many random blowouts can happen to your 6/6 wurm and white zombie snake hydra tokens. It's hard out there for a token; everyone else moves freely between zones no problem, and if you so much as step outside the battlefield it is an instant death sentence. The environment can get hostile quick.

I saw White Zombie Snake Hydra back in, what, 93? Speaking of old times

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Just keep in mind how many random blowouts can happen to your 6/6 wurm and white zombie snake hydra tokens. It's hard out there for a token; everyone else moves freely between zones no problem, and if you so much as step outside the battlefield it is an instant death sentence. The environment can get hostile quick.

I saw White Zombie Snake Hydra back in, what, 93? Speaking of old times

I was unaware there was a card in my cube I could have unironically called whitesnake

Tell me all your experiences with this card, even the dirty details

I cast it on an empty board and it traded with a Fire Imp.

But seriously, if you are at a low, low power level it might be a decent payoff for going wide. It's not a good counter enabler because you might not get to place many counters with a small board presence.

Wow, okay, maybe I'm not going to test him. I mean, my white section has a pretty strong token/go wide approach to it, but ...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm with you man! Like support 3 and Support 99 are almost identical in my cube, and I've got a token them AND a +1/+1 counters theme AND the odd flickering card.

Still was really mediocre. Maybe it's the initial body, I dunno

I think it's the 2 toughness that kills it. 3 is probably the most common critical toughness in cubes. Many creatures have 2 power, lots of burn and toughness reduction kills 2 toughness, and it's much less risky to throw two tokens in front of something than three.

Perhaps run Meadowboon instead?

A common problem with +1/+1 counter decks and go-wide decks is drawing the deck out of order, and Relief Captain is a good example of this problem. If your hand is full of this sort of middling pump effect but you need to go a bit wider to capitalize on them, or if your hand is full of 1/1 producers and you aren't ripping a way to make use of them from the top of your deck, you're probably going to lose in a few turns, and you're not going to have a fun time of doing it. Relief Captain furthers this feast or famine dilemma; a 3/2 body with no keywords and an awkward ETB is unacceptable at 4cmc, and only passable if you're getting at least 2 targets for it. That's a bad card.

Given that this deck is often best centered in {W}{G}, this problem of "I need to draw my deck in the right order or I lose" is a common one; both colors typically have terrible card draw/selection abilities, especially in these lower-power, oops-all-chaff formats, and this doesn't go anywhere near addressing the problems such decks can face. To help those sort of decks, you really need to reward them when variance gives them their cards in the right order or when they stretch their deck to address the core problems of it (by including card draw/selection tools to help them from falling behind like Arcane Encyclopedia or Alchemist's Vial, for example). Relief Captain does neither.

Of course, amateur drafters, or drafters playing in a format that fail to give them what their deck wants (card draw/selection tools) or what makes it enjoyable (sequence-testing combo pieces) often hope to overcome this inherent weakness by brute force, packing their deck with these narrow payoffs like Reward Captain and hoping it'll be enough to address the variance of the game. This makes for a boring, on-rails draft where you scoop up all the 12th-pick unplayables nobody else wants because it is glaringly obvious it was intended for your "color pair archetype" and not theirs, and once you get to the actual games, there's very little skill involved; it encourages an incredibly linear and common strategy to be performed with limited input from the pilot for a very mediocre reward.

Note that these reasons also explain why Goldnight Commander sees play at lower power levels: it's a bad body, but it's a go-wide card that doesn't punish you for drawing it early and committing it to the board before you've got enough go-wide tools, and it offers a lot of power if you sequence your plays cleverly, testing the pilot's skill and rewarding them for demonstrating good game sense.

I'm wondering how this card plays. Is it just flat out too narrow, or is it viable as a splashy payoff for artifact combo? Finally, if one did happen to be staring down one T3, is it just a removal check or does the lack of evasion make it fair?

If it works my Sneak Attack decks are going to go ham with artifact variants and Treasure/Clue tokens :)