triplicatespirits1.jpg

i guess convoke is the core set mechanic

resolutearchangel2.jpg

wtf does this even mean

edit: doh its obvious but
(00:30:36) me: i was saying
(00:30:39) me: what does that card mean
(00:30:44) me: like wtf does that card even do
(00:30:55) k: Oh, it means if your life is less than twenty when it comes into play
(00:30:58) k: your life is 20
(00:31:01) k: or in edh, 40
(00:31:15) me: oh
(00:31:19) me: i thought it was saying like
(00:31:27) me: if you're at 10
(00:31:31) me: and you're playing edh
(00:31:40) me: your starting life total becomes 10 instead of 40
(00:31:47) k: lol what
(00:31:56) k: ohhh
(00:31:58) k: I see how you got that
(00:32:04) me: http://magiccards.info/query?q=o:starting+o:life+o:total&v=card&s=cmc which matters for exactly 2 cards ever

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Cruel Sadist seems baaaaaaaad. I'ld much rather play Guul Draz Assassin if I was looking for a black 1-drop assassin.

Chasm Skulker 2U
Creature - Squid Horror (R)
Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Chasm Skulker.
When Chasm Skulker dies, put X 1/1 blue Squid creature tokens with islandwalk onto the battlefield, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Chasm Skulker.
1/1

Reclamation Sage 2G
Creature - Elf Shaman (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.
2/1

Those two caught my attention.

Laz

Developer
Oooo... I have been hoping for more cards with Convoke. I guess you have to try to make Inspired work somehow right?

Cruel Sadist seems baaaaaaaad. I'ld much rather play Guul Draz Assassin if I was looking for a black 1-drop assassin.

Guul Draz isn't really a 1 drop, you want to play him turn 3 the earliest, though sometimes it's correct to wait longer. Also, there's usually only two outcomes when you play him: either you invest a lot of mana into him and get blown out by removal, or you "get there" and just start mowing down their team. I'm personally not a fan of cards where it's very likely that one person will be miserable.

The Sadist is a true 1-drop. She can grow at instant speed, and for only one mana, which means you get to grow her and still cast meaningful spells on the same turn. Sure, she's not very efficient at mowing down their team, but she does make combat difficult, as she could potentially block and grow, or just start shooting. Lastly, her damage ability removes counters as part of the resolution, not the cost - so if her opponent responds to her ability and the creature no longer can no longer be killed, you don't have to remove any counters from the Sadist. But despite all this flexibility, if I'm sitting across from a turn 1 sadist - I'll never feel like "gotta draw removal or I'll lose." Definitely possible to play through her, as she can't hold off an entire team by herself.

tl;dr: Unlike Guul Draz Assassin, Cruel Sadist will result in interesting games of Magic.

Inferno Fist 1R
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature you control.
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
R, Sacrifice Inferno Fist: Inferno Fist deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Guul Draz isn't really a 1 drop, you want to play him turn 3 the earliest, though sometimes it's correct to wait longer. Also, there's usually only two outcomes when you play him: either you invest a lot of mana into him and get blown out by removal, or you "get there" and just start mowing down their team. I'm personally not a fan of cards where it's very likely that one person will be miserable.

The Sadist is a true 1-drop. She can grow at instant speed, and for only one mana, which means you get to grow her and still cast meaningful spells on the same turn. Sure, she's not very efficient at mowing down their team, but she does make combat difficult, as she could potentially block and grow, or just start shooting. Lastly, her damage ability removes counters as part of the resolution, not the cost - so if her opponent responds to her ability and the creature no longer can no longer be killed, you don't have to remove any counters from the Sadist. But despite all this flexibility, if I'm sitting across from a turn 1 sadist - I'll never feel like "gotta draw removal or I'll lose." Definitely possible to play through her, as she can't hold off an entire team by herself.

tl;dr: Unlike Guul Draz Assassin, Cruel Sadist will result in interesting games of Magic.

I agree with a lot of this in the abstract, but (perhaps luckily) I've had a lot of fun Guul Draz Assassin games. Hmm...

FINALLY THAT SECOND VIRIDIAN SHAMAN I'VE ALWAYS WANTED THANK YOU WIZARDS (etc. etc.)

Military intelligence is neat. Interested in seeing what convoke cards they pump out.

soulofravnica1.jpg

Mono-color mythic cycle "Soul of Plane" confirmed? All with {3}CC: Do something and same cost, exile it from your graveyard: do it again? Titan replacements confirmed. Curious what the other ones will do.
goblinrabblemaster.jpg

DEM GOBLINS

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

I would argue that Guul Draz Assassin is by far the better topdeck, and more efficient at its dual role as a beater and removal on a stick. It can attack while growing, unlike Cruel Sadist, and you don't have to choose between the two modes. I'll admit that Cruel Sadist can grow to a bigger thread for less mana, but on that front it irks me that Chronomaton, an uncommon, is more efficient at growing (colorless mana, no life cost). It might be that I'm underestimating Cruel Sadist (it's also a human) but for now I'll wait out the "men this card was awesome in last night's game" feedback ;)

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Chasm Skulker 2U
Creature - Squid Horror (R)
Whenever you draw a card, put a +1/+1 counter on Chasm Skulker.
When Chasm Skulker dies, put X 1/1 blue Squid creature tokens with islandwalk onto the battlefield, where X is the number of +1/+1 counters on Chasm Skulker.
1/1

Reclamation Sage 2G
Creature - Elf Shaman (U)
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may destroy target artifact or enchantment.
2/1

Those two caught my attention.
Called shot! Day elf has been in and out of my cube as nomad naturalist, I'm glad to see you guys be able to play with him now.
New chain if vapour seems sweet

Reclamation Sage is awesome. That is an auto-include for me. I never liked Viridian Shaman because it only hit artifacts (so was too conditional and also didn't feel green enough to me). Plus it came on a semi-rubbish body to add insult to injury. At least the sage has more targets so will almost always 2 for 1 even if the body is even worse (at least still has 2 power though).

Dom Harvey

Contributor
also:

Goblin Rabblemaster 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Other Goblin creatures you control attack each turn if able.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
When Goblin Rabblemaster attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each other attacking Goblin.
2/2
Siege Dragon
Creature - Dragon
Flying
When Siege Dragon enters the battlefield, destroy all Walls your opponents control.
Whenever Siege Dragon attacks, if defending player controls no Walls, it deals 5 damage to each creature without flying that player controls.
5/5

This set already has more playable and interesting cards than the entirety of M14.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Are you kidding me? M14 was awesome!

Ok, that Voracious Wurm was just to remind Jason that there's an awesome unc to support his life matters theme, but all of those are good and/or fun cards. There's some top notch commons and uncommons for pauper and peasant cubes as well!

Edit: Wait, I get it! Blue is your favorite Magic color! Yeah, M14 only had Young Pyromancer for blue decks :p

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Heheh blue. I will constest a few of these:
also:
Goblin Rabblemaster 2R
Creature - Goblin Warrior
Other Goblin creatures you control attack each turn if able.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, put a 1/1 red Goblin creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
When Goblin Rabblemaster attacks, it gets +1/+0 for each other attacking Goblin.
2/2
Siege Dragon
Creature - Dragon
Flying
When Siege Dragon enters the battlefield, destroy all Walls your opponents control.
Whenever Siege Dragon attacks, if defending player controls no Walls, it deals 5 damage to each creature without flying that player controls.
5/5

This set already has more playable and interesting cards than the entirety of M14.

I like rabblemaster. I always had a thing for goblin assault, and strapping goblin piledriver onto it is a sweet way to make it powerful enough. That dragon pre-emtively wins the "oh god it's attacking award" and the flavor award.

CML

Contributor
these cards are so sweet they read like stuff ano made specifically for our cubes. i'm really excited for the team sealed tournament in august.

Genesis-Hydra-M15-Spoiler.png

I think this guy is at least better than Vastwood Hydra, even despite synergies. Though, I guess if you didn't like cascade then this guy would be miserable.

The Soul six drops just have just such an expensive activation cost. Activating from the graveyard is pretty awesome, though.

Ey mang don't hate on the new titans! I like how they went from "etb trigger so when your mythic gets Dbladed you don't feel so bad" to "when your mythic gets Dbladed you can still use it!" Mildly curious what the other colors will do after seeing how boring green's is vs. the devotiondomain of blue's.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Ey mang don't hate on the new titans! I like how they went from "etb trigger so when your mythic gets Dbladed you don't feel so bad" to "when your mythic gets Dbladed you can still use it!" Mildly curious what the other colors will do after seeing how boring green's is vs. the devotiondomain of blue's.

Activating them is a lot of mana though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That's a pretty flavorful card. Hexproof because her stealth check is through the roof, but once she moves out of hiding for the killing blow you can see her and kill her if you're quick enough :)