General Modern Horizons

Literally my exact thought. Damn Wizards this is not the set to be cowards.

Like, I guess they may have done this for limited with all the changelings running around? It sounds like the "set for modern" idea was an afterthought after reading MaRo's article this morning. They also may have done this for mono-black devotion zombies decks in modern? I don't know. Either way, it was probably the wrong decision from a gameplay perspective. Zombies do not have enough good 2-drops.

Hmm. I almost think OG Deranged Hermit is fairer.

deepforesthermit.jpg

One of the most fun interactions with Deranged Hermit is to "forget" to pay the echo cost, then use Recurring Nightmare with one of the tokens. Deep Forest Hermit is way better with Blink strategies tho.

“This should have cost..”

“Something something cowards..”

Always remember to put ‘in my opinion’ at the end of the sentence because we can neither deem you wrong nor right. You just have an opinion.

/Lecture over/

What do you guys think of the double Naturalize in relations to cube?

E27F5085-253A-45B3-96F4-838CDE1557D9.jpeg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
What do you guys think of the double Naturalize in relations to cube?

I think green has more flexible options, this seems way too narrow, unless you're explicitly running an artifact/enchantment-centric cube, in which case wiping two of those is going to be pretty devastating.

Just a few options that I would rather run than Force of Vigor, depending on what themes I was running in my cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I think Gary is the only reason this doesn't cost {1}{B}. As much as I like Gary, trying to support him murdered the card for cube.

Only for certain cubes. There are actually cubes with only a light multicolor theme, good fixing, and a devotion subtheme in black. This will be a great fit in those cubes!

The card is so not for my cube though :')

I was actually going off the artifact archetype because I didn't really have anything big drawing me towards it in my environment, but Urza makes me want to revisit it altogether. Two bodies, a weird callback to Tolarian Academy, and a mana sink all in one? This card is incredible.

I like Stepmom too. The weird dance of blanking targetted removal ala flagbearers made Mom powerful and difficult to contend with, but this tweak should do the trick. Feels much more fair when you have the chance to at least clear this roadblock prior to focusing upon more pressing threats without access to wraths. I had long underrated Mom's abilities until I had a game where Mom + Archangel of Thune held off the dragons from a Sarkhan Vol ultimate and then proceeded to win the game. It was one of the most absurd things I'd ever seen.

If you find Mother of Runes a touch too good, I would replace her, otherwise keep her. I would not run both.

The new land cycle is intersting. It really shows how Wizards is (mostly) trying to address some of the fundamental problems of the game. There's a lot more incidental card draw or similar effects than when I played.