Sets (MoM) April of the Machines Previews

I've always liked to say, "there are three elements you can choose to add to a planeswalker design: You can make it Playable, you can make it Innovative, and you can make it Balanced. As a designer, you can choose no more than two."

I think they picked "Playable" and "Balanced" for this one.
I don't need it to be wildly innovative. I'm just asking for the design to at some level recognize that it's representing Wrenn, on the brink of destruction, using every last ounce of her strength, to grow an offspring of not-Yggdrasil into a three whose branches cross the multiverse. Sure she's technically finding permanents in your library, but when you mill them first it reads very differently. And no, the cute callback to The World Tree with the passive really isn't doing it for me. I feel like you could have given this set of abilities to basically any iteration of Wrenn. At the very least put an "outside the game" clause on the ultimate, even though I would preferred a design that also didn't have a way to gain loyalty, or at least did so at a cost.

mom-invasion-of-zendikar-v0-0eex9smrihqa1.png

who had, uh, "kind of the opposite of a planeswalker that you inflict on your opponent", as the definition of battle?

0eex9smrihqa1.png
First battle is leaked two hours early thanks to Australia getting time zones wrong or something.

This seems pretty convoluted? Functionally as a card it's fine and does interesting things, but in terms of additional complexity and the semi-hidden information of the backside, this seems more fuddly than the flip sagas, which I'd love to cube with more of if they weren't so incomprehensible at first blush.

I realize that this only shows us what "siege" type battles do and "normal" battles may be something sick like a pseudo third player you can attack (I'm into it), but I'm a bit disappointed they're employing DFC for this particular mechanic from a logistics standpoint.

Honestly surprised they introduce the card type with uncommon cards besides the inevitable rare versions. I would have thought they had made them all (mythic) rare to feel special and hyped.

Honestly surprised they introduce the card type with uncommon cards besides the inevitable rare versions. I would have thought they had made them all (mythic) rare to feel special and hyped.
I think they're doing "a battle in every pack" for this set, so they needed to reduce the rarity on some of them.

Yeah yeah it makes sense. I am just surprised they went this route of including a battle in each pack and printing them at lower than rare. I am also happy they made this decision.

We now have a little more information about battles

- All battles in March of the Machines have the subtype Siege and can all be interacted with in the same manner. There will be other subtypes in the future that can be interacted with differently.
- The caster and owner of the battle is also still the controller of the battle. We can now attack our own permanents.
- The number in the lower right corner functions like a planeswalker's loyalty counters. They are life total of the permanent. The battle can be damaged by non-combat sources also like planeswalkers. A Lightning Bolt with the wording 'any target' can now also target battles.
- When the battle is defeated, a triggered ability goes to the stack (we kind of already knew this from the wording)
- The back side of the battles are most often permanents but there are some sorceries in the mix.

Here is a nice video:

Damn...

I was seriously stoked about the idea of a Battle that both players can attack in a 1v1 match, that seems like a fun mini-game that adds a new dynamic to the game, even if you get the first chance to attack it without them being able to prep a defense theoretically. Maybe one day!

Also, every Battle in this set is double-sided, and they can turn into any card type? It's going to be incredibly unlikely I play with these as written unless they become a core part of Magic going forward, as a card that could theoretically flip into a sorcery or a creature is a lot to grok. Even Neon Dynasty's flip sagas were consistent about turning into (enchantment) creatures.

Also, every Battle in this set is double-sided, and they can turn into any card type? It's going to be incredibly unlikely I play with these as written unless they become a core part of Magic going forward, as a card that could theoretically flip into a sorcery or a creature is a lot to grok. Even Neon Dynasty's flip sagas were consistent about turning into (enchantment) creatures.

Yeah, I feel like this might be one of the things I'd be suspicious Arena has had a huge influence over. Seems like we have so many double faced cards now adays, and they're not that great to have in a cube if you want it to be friendly for people who haven't seen the cards before.

New mechanics spoiled by Forbes!

960x0-1.jpg
Honestly, very down for this. Double-sided tokens are theoretically complicated but they feel so thematically tight I think it'll go down easily, and you don't have to fuddle with desleeving and resleeving since they're just tokens. I think this is neat, and a wonderful addition to food/blood/treasures/etc......even if it only contributes more to token clutter.

Sad that we probably won't get a return of these for a long time considering how WotC's been cycling through villains and these are tied to Phyrexians, but I do like new bauble-makers, and I already found one I want to play with:

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 9.50.33 AM.png

Likely in the bottom third of my white 2-drops, but it's basically a second Blade Splicer that you pay for in parts, and charges you one mana of interest to do so. I'm satisfied with that on many fronts.

960x0.jpg

Backup made me re-read it a few times, as "gains the following abilities until end of turn" isn't very precise language when it's not specifically attached to paragraphs, but you can read it as "gains the textbox besides the backup ability". I don't hate the mechanic, but I wish the reminder text was a little more obvious.

From that POV, both of these cards are compelling, if somewhat low-powered. They allow for neat and explosive turns and repeatable advantage, with the Archpriest being particularly notable, but I doubt either will make it into my list at this time.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 9.56.55 AM.png

New Snapcaster is nice too!

--

Anyways, there's even more in the Forbes article, but be prepared for it to only work on certain browsers and only if you have adblock off and give the website positive affirmations first.

Invasion of Ixalan is my kind of stupid green Impulse. Depending on the backside of it I might be very interested.

I'm pumped for these, tbh. The combat step is by far the most interesting part of the game outside of the stack, and these create some neat decisions. I wonder if these are going to be better in midrange decks or if we might get funky creature-based control decks out of them.

Is Invasion of New Phyrexia the best rate we've ever gotten on a token maker like this? Obviously it's trash if it's cast for x=<2, but it starts getting out of hand by x=4 and that's without considering the backside. Agreed with Blacksmithy that these are pushed, but hopefully in the fun way.

landofMordor

Administrator
Is Invasion of New Phyrexia the best rate we've ever gotten on a token maker like this? Obviously it's trash if it's cast for x=<2, but it starts getting out of hand by x=4 and that's without considering the backside.

finale of glory is close

Backup is very exciting to me. It's a quasi-Soulbond whose value changes dynamically depending on the game state and the tactical line you want to pursue, which is awesome. The one bummer is the reminder text -- "If that's another creature" first made me wonder "well other permanent type could my target creature possibly be? and what's the antecedent of that's?" I also wonder if the reminder text ended with "following abilities until end of turn:" instead of a period, would it be clearer?