Sets (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Previews

Nonbo with persist, unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?).
I don't play persist because it's so cheap and so many of the cool reanimation targets are legendary, so I wouldn't know exactly.

For you I would guess it's a positive given the relative power level of the rest of your reanimation suite and Cube as a whole. Double reanimate seems very punishing for a potential turn 2 or 3 play.

I wish there was a less swingy version of Carnifex Demon I could use, something that instead of being either a. dying to removal or b. Plague Wind had less drastic outcomes. I like Banewhip Punisher, but always need more density of -1/-1 counters.

I wish there was a less swingy version of Carnifex Demon I could use, something that instead of being either a. dying to removal or b. Plague Wind had less drastic outcomes. I like Banewhip Punisher, but always need more density of -1/-1 counters.
The Black Cube also wishes there was -1/-1 counter support.

I'm mostly wondering why no-one uses it as a spicy one-of in Constructed, really. Shove it in your sideboard as a plague wind vs. creature decks or whatever.

EDIT: I also wish that there was more -1/-1 counter support. I think part of the issue is that Shadowmoor, New Phyrexia, and Amonkhet had very different approaches to the mechanic, so it's not like there's much overlap between the support pieces. It also doesn't help that a lot of the cards that use -1/-1 counters use them as a cost/drawback, so powercreep tends not to be very kind to them.

I'd love to see Wizards revisit -1/-1 counters again — I feel like they have untapped design space.

EDIT EDIT: I still think this little guy is cool if you support Zombie Tribal:

Last edited:
I'm mostly wondering why no-one uses it as a spicy one-of in Constructed, really. Shove it in your sideboard as a plague wind vs. creature decks or whatever.
Because there's no incentive to be spicy. Archon of Cruelty is already a massive stop-gap against aggro if you get it into play, and you don't need to spend extra black mana to do it.
Grim Poppet?
edit: really bad with persist though

Last edited:
More Saga Art!

Era of Enlightenment:
J27sdyyesd.jpg

Teachings of the Kirin:
Dnnw7bsdyw.jpg

Also, this saga has some lore explaining the Orochi redesign in-universe. This is slightly abbreviated for this post, but you can read the whole story here.

For centuries, the orochi led their lives largely within the Jukai Forest, where they existed in harmony with the forest's kami. However, the construction of the city of Towashi and the destruction of the forest that came with it enraged the kami. They drove out all who had been living within its borders and closed the forest off to everyone—including the orochi.

Cut off from their ancestral homeland, the orochi struggled to fit in. Desperate, the orochi appealed to the kami for help. In the end, it was the kirin who answered that call. Through a series of tasks and quests, the kirin helped the orochi understand the truth behind their loss of power: the kami of Jukai Forest, in their anger at the mortals, hadn't stopped at physically ejecting them from the forest but had cut off all who drew strength from them as well. The orochi could regain their power, but they had to prove their willingness and sacrifice to the forest kami first: they had to give up a set of arms and legs and revert to simpler forms.

The kami had deliberately set a request they expected the orochi wouldn't agree to. However, the orochi surprised them by accepting these terms without hesitation and even offered to give up their remaining set of arms as well. Touched by their devotion, the kami granted the orochi power magnitudes greater than what they had ever had before, and instead of simply taking all their limbs, granted the orochi a new form to help them better channel that power.

It’s beautiful!
It also looks like it has five flower heads, one in each color of Magic.
Each flower corresponds to one of the legendary dragons!
One for each Kirin as well :)

I love the way they're implementing all of these old references. They're doing a good job of connecting long-dead characters (or, at the very least, still alive characters who aren't in the main set) back into the contemporary version of the world in some very creative ways using sagas. I can't say enough nice things about this.

I hope this saga isn't a DFC so I can more easily put it into my Cube if it's good. It would at least need to be Wilfred Laurier tier in order to be justified as a DFC imo. But even if it is a DFC, the art and lore are just bloody amazing.

Here's some HD art for one of Satoru Umezawa's promos:
mtgneo_satoru_umezawa_2560x1600.jpg

C'mon, move that Ninja out of the way! I want to get a better look at that Red spell!

Seriously, from the tiny bit I can read, it looks like it deals damage to two target (whatevers) and/or lets you replay something from your graveyard without paying its mana cost. And the line spacing implies that this isn't a modal ability...

8CAF84C1-943C-4E0A-B4BD-6C1FF13F1A55.jpeg

Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa 3W
Legendary Creature - Dragon Spirit (Rare)
Flash
Flying
When Kyodai, Soul of Kamigawa enters the battlefield, another target permanent gains indestructible for as long as you control Kyodai.
WUBRG: Kyodai gets +5/+5 until end of turn.
3/3