General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

land-o-war: i like, might be a bit strong but ah fuck it non-fixing lands better be strong in cube
yawgmoth's dec: cool i like it why isnt this a card yet
turn to mist: flexible, and too complex for wotc to print actually so it means its right up my ally
experiment x: i keep reading 'equipment x'. need a newline before 'when it dies'. i don't like this but i dont know why
blind goblin: weird, im not sure when i would ever use the channel.

I like the {2/W} kicker (and attached card). I feel like experiment X will be completely broken if there's enough support for it to function.

Into the Mist is complicated?
I'm hoping for Experiment X to function as a colorless 2/2 for 2 with some upside most of the time. If its broken, the first thing is to make it start as a 1/1 with no counters. After that, idk.
Blind Goblin could maybe make 2 creature not be able to block? There's now precedent for a more powerful version of the same effect with the new Nyx black 1 drop.

How about a pushed version?
4g58ap.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Land of War:
This thing is insane. Can you imagine the time a control deck could by with something like this? Compare repulse for what the "card neutral" version of unsummon should be, power wise.

Yawgmoth's Decree:
Okay, we have terminate at sorcery (already really good) and we also have a wrath.
Wow. Okay, certain effects command an extra premium when stapled together. Especially when those effects are exactly what a control deck wants. At least half of the interesting part of drafting a control deck is when you have to pick between 1-for-1s and sweepers. This card really is just way too brainless.
Cost it a {1}{B}{W} and {1}{B}{B}{W}{W} and MAYBE there's some interesting interplay there, since the mana to make it a wrath is actually restrictive, instead of you just being auto rewarded. I know it's two colors, but that's not an excuse for a card to be THIS easy.

Into the Mist:
Okay, I see where you're going with this, but it does need some nerfing. Azorius charm still requires the creature to be in combat, and every other card that did this to non-attacking creatures has been a sorcery.
They also didn't have an optional unsummon mode.
So here we have: Unsummon / Azorius Charm / Time Ebb, and because of that modality, it gets cheaper? Probably not.

Pick two of these modes, or make it a sorcery. I can't really see you wanting it to be {U}{1} to cast.

Experiment X
Yeah, definitely needs a newline to explain the psudo-modular trigger.
He seems fine. I've got a {G}{1} 2/1 in my cube and he's been decent, if not spectacular.
If you really do want him to be a colorless bear with upside, why not make him just that? The dependence on other creatures for the higher top end might not be worth it over just {2}, 2/2, hands out a counter when he dies.

Blind Goblin:
Seems cool, though I like the version from Journey to Nyx with bestow {3}{B} a bit more.
Actual full on falter effects really do just kill people (wave of indifference) and again you've stapled the two things an aggro deck wants most onto a single card.
What do I need, a 1 drop or a finsher? BOTH! Way too easy.

He probably works best if the channel is just {R}, though he can probably be a 2/2 then.

Land-o-war is busted. Just thought it was kinda fun.
Yawgmoth's Decree is certainly unprintable as is. If wizards printed it, I'd expect {1}{B}{W} and {2}{B}{B}{W}{W} overload. I may tweak the costs a little. I don't think there's a lot of incentive to go into BW right now though, and I think this may help.
Into the Mist is shamelessly Pushed. Sorcery is probably the best answer. Yeah, upping the cost would suck.
Experiment X is just because I like evolve and am working on a +1/+1 counter theme.
Blind Goblin- definitely won't be running the wave of indifference channel version. Rakdos Cackler is probably a good enough precedent for it to be a 2/2. I think I'll do that.

thanks everyone for all the input!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Actually, if you wanna do something awesome with experiment X, have him be like an 0/1 who enters with a counter. That could be cool, and gyre sage not dominating constructed formats means its probably balanced.

I thought the goblin was fine before!

Cubable?

Planar Shove {2}{W}
Instant (U)
Put target artifact, enchantment or planeswalker on to the top or bottom of it's owner's library.
Cycling {2}

Everyone praise my limited spew in the lab.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Would it be better as W1 Sorcery?
I dunno, my whole bar for these kinds of cards is off wack since I haven't played with straight natuaralize in so long

This card is just an interesting draw a million times more often than naturalize is though. Instant speed planeswalker removal sounds great and if it's target isn't exciting it can get you closer to a land or wrath or attacker.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Meloku, Kor Skyfisher, or even Living Tsunami in conjunction with Land'o'War.

Lucas, the good/bad part about cycling is that it eliminates the risk of having a narrow card in your deck. It ruins some of the tension of running it in your deck because now it's never dead even when it can't hit an already broad range of targets. Part of the pleasure of deck-building is the feeling of genius when you take the risk to play something narrow and it pays off. I like your card, but it has no opportunity cost even playing against the (rare) deck with no targets at all. I don't know if that's good or bad/fun or boring, I'm not a designer by any means. This just reminds me of those flexible picks people make to stay open in draft.

That's fair, but I will remind you this hits planeswalkers too. I do think a regular Naturalize could use cycling, but no one's not going to play a Garruk. Which, I suppose, gives it a fair amount of tension on its own... I do agree on sorcery speed just on conservative grounds and to make it cost less. Lucas, I'm curious, what was your reason to make it like Hinder instead of straight Time Ebb or Condemn?

I'm slowly working out how to ask questions and properly criticize custom cards. Actually, I have some about the entire process, in case I decide to use some. How do you guys test new custom cards once you decide to use them? Do you slot it into post-draft cube decks or just seed it into the draft and hope it's played? How many of the ideas here have been used or adapted, successfully or not?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I usually just spend a few hours making sure a given card isn't too far off constructed magic balanced, then just throw it in my cube and ask for feedback.

With a few exceptions. At the moment I've got a B1 gravedigger in my cube, which is probably wholly unreasonable by modern design standards, but nobody minds at all since you never get value off playing him on T2 anyways.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I do the same thing, except instead of taking hours to be sure the card isn't too far off, I instead take a few seconds to compare to playable benchmarks.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I do the same thing, except instead of taking hours to be sure the card isn't too far off, I instead take a few seconds to compare to playable benchmarks.

Magic is always percolating in the back of my mind, and I don't have easy access/time to print out new proxies :p

I can't remember if I asked it here, but I had some utility lands I asked about balancing, and I've fixed them to be 1 mana enchantments intead. How do these sound?

Rumbling Bluffs {R}
Enchantment
Bloodthirst 2
Graft 1

Hunting Grounds (Not the Judgement One) {G}
Enchantment
Graft 1
At the beginning of the end step, if an opponent lost life this turn, put a +1/+1 counter on Hunting Grounds.

Honestly now that they actually put you down a card they might need buffing if anything

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah part of the cool was them being lands. Maybe they come out for journey testing until I know what I wanna do with them?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Oh jeez, yeah.
Man, this is what happens when you just jam fever dream cards in your cube :p
someone drafts meloku and proves you wrong!

I'm slowly working out how to ask questions and properly criticize custom cards. Actually, I have some about the entire process, in case I decide to use some. How do you guys test new custom cards once you decide to use them? Do you slot it into post-draft cube decks or just seed it into the draft and hope it's played? How many of the ideas here have been used or adapted, successfully or not?
sometimes i test on my own w/ built decks or with a sealed pools. sometimes i just throw it in.

my whole cube is custom so plenty of my ideas have been tried