Sets Shadows over Innistrad Spoilers Thread

Uncharted Realms leaves a lot to be desired most of the time, but this week's was pretty decent and we also got info on a new walker: Arlinn Kord. Werewolf Walker Lady, refreshing depiction of a middle-aged woman instead of just young girls and old hags. For sure it's a flip card, I just don't know if it's going to be Human flip into Werewolf walker or something else. Also there's mention in her bio of being able to transform between werewolf and human at will. It would be pretty interesting to have a card that can flip back and forth.

Very excited to see how they work her onto a card! Gotta say though, you'd think if you are a werewolf that can change form at will, you (theartistwhopaintedit *ahem*) would design your wardrobe to at least hold up as well as possible? Loose robes? Maybe just take em off first? Hate to see her clothes expenses if she always rips em like in her picture....

A+ on her totally knowing she's a badass too. Just lookit that confidence, those battle scars. :cool:

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Agree, really looking forward to this new character, and pleasantly surprised that our first werewolf planeswalker isn't some generic, buff, muscle-bound dude. Love the artwork - she just screams boss!

SOI_PW_Arlinn_Kord_image_gallery.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Agree, really looking forward to this new character, and pleasantly surprised that our first werewolf planeswalker isn't some generic, buff, muscle-bound dude. Love the artwork - she just screams boss!

I agree. I laughed when I saw someone on mtgs lament that it was not a buff, muscle-bound dude, because "that's what werewolves are supposed to look like, you know, some races just look better as a man than as a woman!" Vampires should more often be woman according to the same poster... I guess because they're usually more scantily clad? Nice stereotyping!

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I met a guy who made similar comments about Caucasians and Asians. Genocidal subtext aside, I was most upset by the fact that he didn't see the gigantic hole called "genetics" in the long term plans of his Utopian society.

Can't wait to see what they did with the flipped version.

It's the last image in the flavor article / on her planeswalker page on the official site.

I'm pretty interested in how they'll design her if they follow the lore and allow the player to flip her back and forth- there's so much cool stuff they could do. Will be very disappointed if both sides have "0: Transform ~"

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I suspect it'll be a triggered ability, not unlike Garruk Relentless, except with triggers on both sides. If that's the case, we're probably looking at two activated abilities per side for four total, rather than the five on Garruk.

Yeah, the Innistrad setting always gives us the best artwork, particularly in the moody lighting and in the great costumes. I'm not the biggest fan of modern Magic artwork in general, but the Innistrad stuff is right up there with any of the old-school artwork that we all revere.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah I've got high hopes for both flip cards spoiled so far.
I'm less sure bout new Mentor of the Meek since a lot of what was decent about mentor was token spells, and {2} is a lot more annoying a recurring cost than {1}.
2/3 flier for 3 is nice though, so maybe that pushes it above?

The black delver is super exciting; but I'm actually also excited for this 'investigate' mechanic. I'm currently trying for an artifact theme in my cube, and it could be a great way to weave more artifacts into the thing without disrupting the other archetypes. Of course, this is dependent on there being a few great investigate cards; but hey, a man can dream, right?

I'm curious to see what "win the game" card comes out that revolves around clues. I want to think they'll make something like that; it just seems so fitting. Obviously it won't be cubeable but I love alternate win-cons and this seems like a great, flavourful concept that could lead to a good one.

Seconding all the hype around Arlinn but damn I've already got a headache thinking about all the flip cards that are gonna try to muscle into my list; I personally find them a bit tedious because I have enough cards floating around between my cube, land box, and utility land draft, and I really dislike the look of the checklist cards as printed. Maybe I'll work up some cleaner, nicer-looking checklists that are card-specific and figure out a way to get them into my cube; I've seen efforts like that for the Innistrad cards, and I've been wanting nicer checklists for the flipwalkers, anyway.

CctKZxYXIAAZpxA.png

This could be a weird sort of jank control finisher. It secretly has flash too.

On the subject of flip cards, I just perfect fit sleeve the flip cards and have players take them out and have the flipped card on top of the Ultra Pro sleeve on the battlefield. Its worked fine for us so far.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
On the subject of flip cards, I just perfect fit sleeve the flip cards and have players take them out and have the flipped card on top of the Ultra Pro sleeve on the battlefield. Its worked fine for us so far.

After a long hiatus I readded some to my cube because they play well. I now have the checkmark cards in the boosters, and the flip cards open in the middle of the table. There's a lot of room in the middle of the table since I cut the ULD ;)

I really like Geralf's Masterpiece! I think that'll most likely make it into my list. It also helps push zombie counts, which is awesome for those of us still sporting Gravecrawler

edit: I do have some concerns about how easy it is to empty your hand in my format... but I'm definitely very open-minded

I'm less sure bout new Mentor of the Meek since a lot of what was decent about mentor was token spells, and {2} is a lot more annoying a recurring cost than {1}.
2/3 flier for 3 is nice though, so maybe that pushes it above?
I hear ya on the cost being literally double.
I think the real strengths of the card are the layaway and the flying. With Mentor, you have to pay it then and there. That can make it a lot worse for blasting out spells on curve, with a low curve. This lets you just keep pumping out those CoCo-worthy creatures, and then later start cashing all the clues in when you are running low on gas. Also instead of a hill giant, it's a 2/3 flier for 3, so it's perfectly fine with 0 other abilities imo. I'll almost definitely be trying it. Just not sure in place of what yet :p

So far I'm liking all these spoilers :D. Black delver, flying mentor, um... ruinator 2.0 (but a little worse imo)

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Seconding all the hype around Arlinn but damn I've already got a headache thinking about all the flip cards that are gonna try to muscle into my list; I personally find them a bit tedious because I have enough cards floating around between my cube, land box, and utility land draft, and I really dislike the look of the checklist cards as printed. Maybe I'll work up some cleaner, nicer-looking checklists that are card-specific and figure out a way to get them into my cube; I've seen efforts like that for the Innistrad cards, and I've been wanting nicer checklists for the flipwalkers, anyway.

A couple of options:
  1. Use a second copy of the card in the BLB in a clear sleeve to flip.
  2. Print a proxy and put it in (you own the card, it should be fine)
  3. Pimp out your checklist card.
I go with option 3. Everyone loves my Jace checklist card.
xOZHo0Z.jpg

hahah; my
A couple of options:
  1. Use a second copy of the card in the BLB in a clear sleeve to flip.
  2. Print a proxy and put it in (you own the card, it should be fine)
  3. Pimp out your checklist card.
I go with option 3. Everyone loves my Jace checklist card.
xOZHo0Z.jpg

Option 3 is something I've been planning for for a while, and just haven't gotten around to. I currently keep the flipwalkers in those clear, harder plastic sleeves for ease of flip/access on the board, but the checklists are my real sticking point. I just need to get the ball moving on those alters, pronto, because it looks like the new flip cards are gonna wiggle their way into my list (and bring with them treats like Ludevic's Test Subject, perhaps)

Not much has been spoiled thus far, but limited seems pretty strong for triple SOI, especially when you can go T2 Heir of Falkenrath, T3 Incorrigable Youths, swing for 7. Geralf's masterpiece might end up in the bulk mythic bin once all is said and done (it looks neat, but doesn't scream power), but it's too early to tell.